Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a rear '86 Convertible speaker

chris123

Not sure if the 1986 - 1989's are all the same; I have an '86 convertible and the right rear speaker is dead; looking for a used one; anyone have one for sale?
Regards, Chris :)

Try Mid America or Corvette Central, they should have the speaker
G

Why not just buy new ones.
I am a MECP certified installer.
If it has the base system it can cost a bit more, but it's SOOO worth it.
If it's standard it's super easy just go out
And buy a pair of 4x6 fronts and 6x9 for rear.
But you only have a 2.5 inch clearance.

Chris,

I replaced the amplifier on all four of my 1990 coupe's speakers (front and back). The problem wasn't the speakers themselves per-se, just the little circuit board amplifiers. When buying replacements, you have to be careful to get the exact replacement and know that there were two types of boards with slightly different connectors, so make sure you get it right else you'll have cabling issues. I believe you can put the amplifier from your rear LHS into the RHS speaker assembly and see if it was just the amp or the speaker (or both). For an idea of costs, C4 speakers are around $100, amps around $150 each and the whole rear speaker assembly $250.

This is a good site for how to remove and even get repairs.
Factory Car Audio Repair For All Makes and Models - Corvette Stereo Removal - BOSE Car Stereo, Speaker / Amplifier Repair

I bought my amplifiers off a guy on Ebay who replaced his whole system with a modern 3rd party system (not GM OEM Bose), he had the same car but it was Canadian. Still it worked out well for me. It was a gamble (Ebay always is) but I came out way ahead of buying them from Mid America price wise. The safe thing is probably to get them from Mid America or similar online store where its less risky. Caveot Emptor.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom