Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need advice about buying my first vette

I

ital976

First of all I want to thank you guys for taking the time to read my post. I am a long time camaro owner that is finally financially able to get into that Corvette I have always wanted. I am currently looking into a 2000 couple with only 7,000 miles on it. I love the car and everything about it. The thing that is really bothering me is the posts I have read here and on another corvette forum about the problems people are having with the active handling systems in these cars. Some of which are extemely scary. One guy totalled his car on an off ramp because of a malfunction. I don't want to have to worry about the car braking by itself and causing and accident everytime I get into the car. It will always be in the back of my mind about the issues and problems it takes to get the system fixed if there is a problem. Just wanted to get your opinions about the system and if you think I should be worried or not. Thanks for your input.

I have not heard anything about problems with active handling. I have had a '97 and a 2002. Some of the known issues include fuel pump whine (97-98, mostly), steering column lock, differential leaks, oil consumption (early cars driven at high RPM with low load), premature seat wear. Others will chime in here, but I have heard nothing about active handling issues.

I have had one 2002 and two 2003's

All C5's appear to get a exhaust jingle after you kick one time. All six sppeds rattle coming out of first gear at 1000 rpms. I have not experienced the issues mentioned above. I hope I don't. I have a Anniversary model now.

I have not had any other issues but GM will generally print a TSB saying it is normal if it does not work like most cars should.

Unless they address my exhaust jingle I am through with this car. I will not even look at the C6. The car has great potential but the quality is not as high as imports. I could live with that but I can not with just saying all issues are normal.

The problems that seem to occur with Active Handling are usually due to the owner changing tires to non-standard sizes. (Or, changing the standard tires to Z06 size and not re-calibrating the EBTCM to reflect the change.) In that circumstance, the owner brought the problems on themselves. (There is no protection from operator stupidity.)

The problems that seem to occur with Active Handling are usually due to the owner changing tires to non-standard sizes. (Or, changing the standard tires to Z06 size and not re-calibrating the EBTCM to reflect the change.) In that circumstance, the owner brought the problems on themselves. (There is no protection from operator stupidity.)
exactly;

plus there's a switch on the console that will allow you to turn off A.H.

Thank you guys for all your input. You have given me the confidence to make my decision with an open mind. Besides, I love this car too much not to at least give it a chance.

ital, the C5 is a great car. With the C6 just over the horizon so to speak, there are some great deals out there on C5s.

I had two camaros in my teens and twenties, they were good cars.

However, there is no comparision to a Corvette.

May take you a few drives to get use to the Active Handling System but once you do, you will love it just like everything else about the Corvette.

I've owned my '03 coupe for over six months now and have put over 2500 miles on it, with a mix of cruising and spirited driving. It's done nothing but perform well! I've had a couple of nuisance type warranty repairs (malfunctioning seat recliner, passenger door needing realignment), and that's the lesser quality you'll hear complaints about (compared to similarly priced cars). But to me, it's not a show stopper. I recommend becoming a C5 owner if you have the desire and the means!

Good luck,
Steve

greco424 said:
I'm planning to buy my first vette this Saturday, 5/15. It's a new torch red 2004 base coupe with front plate bracket and bodyside molding the only options. Dealer is in western suburbs of Chicago and has this car at a special price of 36,895 plus tax and doc fee. List is 44,800. Good deal or not? Please give me your input. JG
Get a free Carfax on your (soon to be) Corvette. See this fellow member's kind offer:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46806

Just turn off the active handling. I'd leave the traction control on! Until you get used to the torque, it's easy to spin it on the 1-2 shift with an A4 having the performance rear end gears. After a while, the little right correction on a shift will become automatic. I've never spun mine, but I know guys that have, and friends driving mine have been saved by the traction control.

Other problems: rear end seal leaks, tire pressure sensors, air conditioning compressor, transparent top glazing and peeling(GM bulletin allowed dealer to replace, drivers seat wearing on left side, suspension bushings going dry and creaking (no lube installed at factory - covered under entended warranty). In fact all problems covered under regular or extended warranty

doylede said:
Just turn off the active handling. I'd leave the traction control on!
How do you do that? I think with mine I can choose both on, both off, or just traction control off (competitive driving).

greco424 said:
I'm planning to buy my first vette this Saturday, 5/15. It's a new torch red 2004 base coupe with front plate bracket and bodyside molding the only options. Dealer is in western suburbs of Chicago and has this car at a special price of 36,895 plus tax and doc fee. List is 44,800. Good deal or not? Please give me your input. JG
That is a good price. For brand new '04s most dealers are taking about $8,000 off sticker. So you're right in the ball park. You can fight to try and get more off, but they probably won't budge more than a little, if any.

I say, buy it!

I bought an '04 coupe two months ago, much the same deal, although another 4K in options and I LOVE it! My only complaint is a major one. The weather here in the U.P. stinks this year, and I am not driving it enough! She's an all Black coupe, and I hate washing and waxing cars when it's 40 degrees. 5/14/04 High today 43, low tonight 27 (F).

Make yourself happy, have an early Christmas. BUY THAT C5 GRECO!!!:Steer

Greco, I suppose it depends on how badly they want to move that car off thier showroom floor. I had a local dealer ready to sell me an 04 white coupe,all the toys,for $26k and some change.Of course they wanted my 94 included,so that meant they were only willing to give me $10k on the trade. It does have 66k miles on it but I still thought that was a little too low.Mine still looks good inside and out,and runs very strong. I think I'm going to wait till next year and find a C5 in spiral grey. Good luck with your new "toy". Oh yeah.......DON'T FORGET TO WAVE !!! :w

On the 2000, traction control has an on/off & active handling handling has off, normal, and competive (or something). I just leave it off.

Anyway, the two systems have separate controls. By 2002, I believe active handling was standard, and may be different.

greco424 said:
Thanks for info. I'm thinking of asking for the first two or three oil and filter changes free and ??? else. Any suggestions? JG
The dealer that I purchased mine from sells about 3 to 4 Vettes a year, and normally sell for sticker price only. This is an exceptional time to buy a brand new C5. The extras I received were the C5 sales brochure (with a CD ROM) that they told me costs $50(yeah, right!) so they only give them to serious Corvette customers, and a free lunch from the salesman. Naturally, the lunch offer is based on eating it with him, so I don't know if I'll ever pursue it! Actually, he's a good guy, who happens to own an '03 z06, so he's a good source of information, if needed.
As far as freebies go, get what you can, but the car is the biggest source of pleasure. And expecially after the 500 mile break-in period is over. I followed the suggestions not to go over 55, and not to travel at the same speed for an extended period of time(no cruise control, constantly watching the speedometer and upping it an MPH or two or decreasing, and it was the longest 500 miles of my life.
Nothing in the world like givin' it a little gas! WOW!:Steer :Steer :Steer

Never did believe in the 500-mile breakin period! When I bought my 2001 Z had it on the track the day after I bought.

10 points to consider-

1- Look at the service records
2- Look for leaks and damage
3- Look at the options it has, compare those to histories and recalls
4- Drive the car at night too, checking how you feel driving it with the options- remember, things always seem different at night!
5- Talk to other owners who have the same car. See what they think.
6- Talk to your spouse (if you have one!)- she may not want certain options or transmissions. She may even have an idea like NOT buying one for other reasons.
7- Get the best technical insight into the car from mechanics like C4C5 here on the CAC.
8- Look at the options and resale, is it popular- will it hold value the way you want it to?
9- Look at magazine articles your options were listed in- what did the writer think?
10- MAKE SURE YOU LOVE THE CAR!!! You'll be stuck with it until you sell it again- everyone better be able to live with the purchase!
Good luck and welcome to the CAC!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom