Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need advice on 1981

S

sweetcorvette

need a quick quide on a 1981 corvette...have chance to buy one this weekend...already have a 1975....what should i look for...anything special...car has 98m/ rebuilt motor 18m guy wants 7m which is neg...good deal or not...thanks for any help....

81s are computer controlled. No optional engines. Fiberglass rear spring. Most were built at St. Louis, but beginning June 1, they were also built simultaneously in Bowling Green.

:)

Just look for the usual c3 stuff, rust in the A pillar, check the chassis.
Special 81 things.. hmmm see if the SES light works when the ignition is on and it goes out when the engine is running. If not check the code it has generated. :)

Groeten Peter.

Sweet 81 - Welcome to CAC :CAC

Groeten Peter - what do you mean by "A pillar"? Is that the front of the "birdcage"? Or the frame kickups at the rear?

Rick
:gap

if you have a 'BS" prior to the last 6 digits in the vin it's a st louis made vette
if you a 'B5' its a bowling green made vette.
there is more info available for the bowling green cars than the st louis cars,eg,build sheets,and the like.

good luck!!!!

BTW welcome to CAC!!!

Ow. maybe the "A-pillar" is an european expression?
But it's the steel frame left and right side of your front window. And then not exactly beside's the window but just below it. Open a door and look at the place where the a-pillar meets the birdcage, if that has rust you better leave it there :)

Groeten Peter.

Ah, now I get it. I don't think it's necessarily a European expression, it's just a term I was not familiar with. Like "backlight" for a rear window. Took me a while to get that one, too. :)

Rick
:gap

It sounds like you are in my area ! Please feel free to stop over and look at mine. I just bought it in PA late last spring. Is the car local ?

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom