Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need advice-starting problem

melsy

Corvette
2003 Red Z06
So after dinner last night I go out to my daily driver (2003 Z06) and it won't even crank. Lights bright and all electrical stuff strong--not like the last time battery died. Tried to start this morning before calling AAA and it started perfectly. Ran over to dealer who said can't do anything with intermittent problem like this and this won't set codes. This is first time this has happened in 4 years of ownership. I did install sound insulation about 3 months ago but this is first for this. Going to check shop manual--but maybe someone has some words of wisdom. This is not good for daily driver. Help and thanks in advance.

Sorry, but I didn't notice. If it happens again I will try to stay calm and take notice. Please educate me--as you usually do and thanks very much in advance.

HI there,
The antitheft system sometimes will become worn, creating the condition.
If the security light is on solid, that means that the antitheft system is active, not allowing the starter to engage.
If you have a P1626 in the PCM, that shows that the theft enable signal was NOT received by the PCM and thus does NOT allow the starter to turn.
Allthebest, :bang

C4C5:
I just checked codes and have 1631. Also a U1160H. Security light is flashing and car starts perfectly now. I just love intermittent problems@!#*#*! Ihave the GM extended warranty and need to get driver's window repaired anyway. I guess it's into the shop next week. But after driving Vette's since the 50's, these are great cars. Thanks for all your support.

HI there,
Your P1631 is also a theft system code.
I will do a bit of research and then repost later.
Your on the right track. Please disregard the U1160 unless it is Current.
Allthebest, c4c5

All and C4C5:
Just got the car back from dealer. "Verified that ignition cylinder/pass lock is shorted". Replaced cylinder and a slew of tumblers, retainer, spring etc. Hope this solves the problem. Any idea as to cost of all this? While I was there I also had right window repaired. "Verified regulator is shorted". What did that cost if you have any ideas? There are no numbers on my sheets since I have the GM extended warranty with $200 deductible--THANK GOODNESS. Like I've said, after driving vettes for 50 year's I would always have an extended warranty--IT WILL MORE THAN PAY FOR ITSELF!! Again thanks to all for your inputs. FYI, The mechanic told me that cleaning the key and resistor is a good idea.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom