Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! need expert help and opinions / just brought a 1959 corvette

westozmonaro

Corvette
1959 inca silver
hi all just brought a 1959 corvette in AUSTRALIA

1 /
does anyone recognise the vehicle or know anything of it , where from ect , was for sale in USA mid last year , hoping to piece together more about it history short and old :: vin # J59S101568 picture attached

2 /
1959 model is not so much information around or for sale compared to other models ?? / someone explain why give opinions ect

3 /
what are some of things i should check to find out exaclty what the car was originaly , something about fuellie wipers are different ? what else should i check to confirrm what is

4 /
been told the car has matching numbers engine box / i will wait and see delivery will be in about 10 days , 283 / 4sp / hard top only no soft top / wonderbar radio

5 /
when looking on the web for info and pictures , some cars have the cove fins fitted and some not , were they standard to cars as new or always an option , why some cars not have

6 /
as no trim tags only VINS , how can you tell what the car came with what colour / trim / ect , or is no whay at all can tell

7 /
what is the best web site forum for C1 cars
all the ones i have seen the c1 rooms have old or far between posts

sorry ask such simple questions ,, i have ordered aheap of books already but they are not here yet and am itching to know some answers to the above

please answe here in the forum or can email me at domainh@westnet.com.au

would love other guys who own 59 cars to email direct if they want as a source of contact / questions both ways

the cars in good company , lives with a 69 camaro rs/ss / 33 ford 3 window rod / late 70,s ac cobra kit car / 69 hk holden monaro 327 / 64 EH holden premier sedans

thanks in advance

brett

Congratuations. I have never owned a C1, but this book is supposed to be one of the best available. It was written by a guy who is known as an expert. FYI

The Complete Corvette Restoration & Technical Guide Vol I 1953-1962 by Noland Adams

hi
yeah thats the car

he doesnt have the details himself , was brought on US ebay

he is looking for the purchase details , but doesnt have much info

hi all just brought a 1959 corvette in AUSTRALIA

1 /
does anyone recognise the vehicle or know anything of it , where from ect , was for sale in USA mid last year , hoping to piece together more about it history short and old :: vin # J59S101568 picture attached

2 /
1959 model is not so much information around or for sale compared to other models ?? / someone explain why give opinions ect

3 /
what are some of things i should check to find out exaclty what the car was originaly , something about fuellie wipers are different ? what else should i check to confirrm what is

4 /
been told the car has matching numbers engine box / i will wait and see delivery will be in about 10 days , 283 / 4sp / hard top only no soft top / wonderbar radio

5 /
when looking on the web for info and pictures , some cars have the cove fins fitted and some not , were they standard to cars as new or always an option , why some cars not have

6 /
as no trim tags only VINS , how can you tell what the car came with what colour / trim / ect , or is no whay at all can tell

7 /
what is the best web site forum for C1 cars
all the ones i have seen the c1 rooms have old or far between posts

sorry ask such simple questions ,, i have ordered aheap of books already but they are not here yet and am itching to know some answers to the above

please answe here in the forum or can email me at domainh@westnet.com.au

would love other guys who own 59 cars to email direct if they want as a source of contact / questions both ways

the cars in good company , lives with a 69 camaro rs/ss / 33 ford 3 window rod / late 70,s ac cobra kit car / 69 hk holden monaro 327 / 64 EH holden premier sedans

thanks in advance

brett
Hi Brett,
Welcome to the CAC!
Some answers to some of your questions:
Your #(3)---
These cars really had no "tank sticker" that told you how the car was equipped or anything. That didn't start until 1967. So, all you can do is get all your Corvette books you ordered (especially The Technical & Restoration Guide Volume #1 by Noland Adams) and study them. Once you get those books, you'll have enough reference points to know what numbers you car should have and where to look for them. Also, there will be original factory photos of Corvettes and how they looked back then when new. It sounds silly but, get a magnifying glass to look real close at the pictures. You'll be surprised at what you can see. As far as the wipers being different on a fuelie, I don't know.
Your #(4)---
Again, all the numbers you will need to know about a '59 are also in that book. What they are and where to look for them.
Your #(5)---
The three side cove spears were installed on all production 1959 Corvettes. Three on one side and three on the other side. In the narrow inset where the spears are installed, there should be a thin, black trim plate installed first, then the spears. Some Corvettes you see without this trim, were the result of personal choice. Simple as that.
Your #(6)---
There were no trim tags on '59 Corvettes. That started in 1963.
As far as the original color of your car goes, I've read that you can, sometimes, tell the original color by looking in the trunk area on the front bulkhead (wall) on the right side, under the paint. A color name was written in paint stick in that area on the bare fiberglass so they knew what color to paint it. Another area I've heard to look would be on the wall behind the passenger seat, under the paint. Also in the Noland Adams book, there are photos of new Corvettes (frames) on the production line, with hand written color names written in paint stick on the passenger side front crossmember. The only other way to tell what color the car was when new, (maybe) would be to go to an inconspicuous area that's painted and sand down through the layers of paint untill you arrive at the original finish.
Your #(7)---
THIS is the best site---Of course!!!
Best of luck with your '59 and I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom