Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need Fuel Line and Filter PICS

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I'm needing some PICS and ideas from others who have modified their fuel lines from the Fuel Pump to Carburetor. I will be making the transition during spring from the Q-Jet to the Holley. Looking for ideas with in-line fuel filters, fuel line, and hardware used. Thanks!

What ever you decide on be sure the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor is steel not rubber gas hose. The hose is a fire hazard and GM never used rubber hose on the pressurized lines for that reason. If your decide to go with hose make sure you have good fire insurance.

Here is a poor shot of mine. Its steel line from the local parts store. Its actually 2 pieces butted up together by a 4 inch piece of Fuel Injection hose. Not the prettiest but it works for now.
DSC00567.jpg

Here's what I did. After doing this, I'm sold on the braided line approach. Cleaner, easier, better in all aspects.

From the hard line to the tank:

DSC02787.jpg

To and from the pump
DSC02790.jpg

To and from the regulator
DSC02786.jpg

From the regulator to the carb, with the inline filter
DSC02788.jpg

Here is a supposedly "factory replacement" line. Fit like c**p. I ended up cutting it and installing an inline filter in front of the right head.

PICT0026-1.jpg

Since this picture, the carb has been changed to a Demon, all fittings are AN, and the line is all new from the pump to the carb and it really fits correctly.
Not that difficult to fab the line. Tough part was that first bend out of the fuel pump. Tight radius.

Looks like you have a two port pump. What did you do with the return line?
Exactly, what I want to keep. So, I'm going to keep the fuel pump and replace the Q-Jet with a Holley 0-9895 and figure out something with a fuel line from pump to carb.

I used rubber line and haven't had issues, but i'm always nervous about it.

Everyone I talk to says to buy a tube bender and go with steel lines and that's what I plan to do the next time I have the chance.

Looks like you have a two port pump. What did you do with the return line?

My particular set up is on a modified engine in my 81, it doesn't use the return line. If I was using it, you can still use braided line if you choose to, like I did going from the hard line from the tank in the first picture. To do that, there's a ferrel and a nut that you use for the particular size line you have. You slide the nut on, then the ferrel, then flare the line a bit, and you have a female AN fitting. :thumb

This is certainly over kill, you don't NEED braided line here, but, it looks great, fits great, doesn't leak, and you don't have to worry about chaffing, or kinks in tight areas.

My particular set up is on a modified engine in my 81, it doesn't use the return line. If I was using it, you can still use braided line if you choose to, like I did going from the hard line from the tank in the first picture. To do that, there's a ferrel and a nut that you use for the particular size line you have. You slide the nut on, then the ferrel, then flare the line a bit, and you have a female AN fitting. :thumb

This is certainly over kill, you don't NEED braided line here, but, it looks great, fits great, doesn't leak, and you don't have to worry about chaffing, or kinks in tight areas.

Tell me where you got this hardware. I'm interested in the couplings and such that attach to the carb where the filter goes, etc.

You can ususally find them locally, but you can also get them from Summit Racing Summit Racing And if you call their tech line, they're very helpful.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom