Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NEED HELP!! AC only blows to the floor.

Mikez 81 Vette

Corvette
1981 Black on Black C3
I have a great car that is a joy to drive, but in the summer when I run the ac it only blows to the floor, It keeps your feet cool but everything else sweats. Is there an easy way to get to the little door that controls the direction of the air flow? I think it's stuck (how I do not know). I can hear the vacuum change when I change the slide the from ac to floor to defrost. (It did work about two years ago).
Thanks, Mike

Hello Mike,

The easiest way to get to your ducking and the ac stuff is getting your complete dash off and go from there. And when your there, check the entire ducking and reseal it! Most of the connections are poor and you loose much of the airflow. The door you need to check is next to the big heater core box.

Greetings Peter.

I have a great car that is a joy to drive, but in the summer when I run the ac it only blows to the floor, It keeps your feet cool but everything else sweats. Is there an easy way to get to the little door that controls the direction of the air flow? I think it's stuck (how I do not know). I can hear the vacuum change when I change the slide the from ac to floor to defrost. (It did work about two years ago).
Thanks, Mike
I'd bet you have a vacuum leak under the hood somewhere in the small lines, possibly a one way check valve is leaking or someone routed something wrong after doing engine work!! Another possibility is a cracked line around the Heat,A/C control!!:upthumbs

Good point Junkie :D
If there is no vacuum in the system it will stick in the same position!
The main vacuum source for the ventilation system should be somewhere behind your timing. Just like Junkie says, trace the small vacuum lines first and go from there.

Groeten Peter.

I'm not familiar with C3's but I had an issue at one time with my C4 in which it suddenly began blowing through the defroster vent only and I couldn't turn off the heat. My mechanic replaced the vacuum switch (nice guy - that was one of those freebies "don't worry, catch you next time" he sometimes gave me).

Fixed it right up.
:w Jane Ann

I'm not familiar with C3's but I had an issue at one time with my C4 in which it suddenly began blowing through the defroster vent only and I couldn't turn off the heat. My mechanic replaced the vacuum switch (nice guy - that was one of those freebies "don't worry, catch you next time" he sometimes gave me).

Fixed it right up.
:w Jane Ann
Yeah,C3's have the same type Vacuum switch's,just a little different!!! There Cheep $2.00-$6.00 :upthumbs

Maybe find the vacuum line that goes to the vent doors and hook it up to a differnt vacuum line that you now that works. Atleast you could see if that operates it.....cheap diagnostic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom