Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need help and guidance....

89RI

I recently acquired a white 89, 6 speed, with removable top and 90k miles. Let me be frank, I am not mechanically inclined. This car was sitting out in New England winters and summers for 4 years before I rescued her. I’ve polished her up as best as I could and I must say she still looks sharp. I am willing to do small things such as, wash, wax, and polish. I recently changed the battery and read some blogs on changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid. I had a friend change spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, wiper blades, oil change. I would like to now do the weather stripping and the alternator, rear view mirror and a few other small cosmetics, but would really like a “corvette guy” to do it. Does anyone know of someone or someplace in RI that either works on these things in their garage as a hobby or a reputable corvette business? I drove the car last season and had no issues, my goal is to do a few nice upgrades every year. Also, I have not been able to locate the wheel lock key…is this a big deal? Any other suggestions for easy jobs that I could do would be greatly appreciated (K&N air filter, might be this coming weekends small job).
Thanks for any input you may have.
89RI

Best Thing

The best and most satisfying thing is doing it yourself. I suggest picking up a repair book on your car, a factory manual would be the best as it covers everything but they are expensive, but the Haynes one will probably get you going. It's cheaper, covers a number of years and isn't as in depth on things but has photographs of many of the procedures being done.

It will help you learn what's required about the job and usually has the steps given for each phase of the job. You can decide if it's within your skill level. Start small and work your way up the complexity level if you need to.

In regard to the weatherstripping, a number of suppliers have that available and perhaps their web sites might also have the installation instructions online? Have the fellow who did your oil change etc come over and guide you through the process. When you're done, have a cool one and think of the money you saved by doing it yourself.

The wheel lock key is only a biggie if you have a flat or need new rubber! Sometimes you can get lucky as a seasoned mechanic might have a key that fits well enough to remove the old wheel locks or they can have a piece of metal welded on the lock and then it's removed that way.

Study the books and you can learn a lot from them. Even if you don't do it yourself, you'll know what's needed and how it's done so you have that knowledge if you need professional assistance with the job.

:welcome First I admire someone who knows there shortcomings and when it comes to the C4 Corvette if you have not worked on cars most of your life and are not nor have you ever been mechanically inclined you are being wise in seeking experienced help with your car. There are several folks on the forum that are capable diagnosticians and more then willing to give help. The problem will be in recognizing which ones are truly trying to help and then deciding if you can do the work with your own hands and tools. It is easy to get caught up in reading all the post here and thinking you have to do this or that to your car because it seems to be a big problem. Remember the problems that are posted are done so by maybe 10% of the CAC who do have strange issues with there car but that leaves 90% who are happily driving and looking at turning 150 or 175 or 200 K. And yes the FSM (Field Service Manual) is a good addition to your library but is not necessary if you will not be doing the work on your car yourself. In which case for reference a Haynes or Clymers manual will serve you just as well.

Welcome to the CAC! :w

The best advice I could give, as has already been mentioned, get the FSM. This isn't to say you actually have to turn the wrench, but if you do take it to a shop you will know what they are speaking about.

Also start slow, it seems you are not overwhelming yourself, but getting things done.

1. FSM (purchase a good auto fundamentals book if required)
2. Keep it stock (L98 performance tuning is best left for the experts)
3. Invest in yourself (building up your skills and tools inventory)
4. Leverage resources like the CAC (amazing amount of info available)
5. Enjoy you vette (owning and maintaining a corvette is a great hobby)
6. and save the "wave"
:v

Before driving: All fluids, belts, hoses. After that, address one issue at a time as it arises. Tackle cosmetics like weatherstripping after she's running like a top.:happyanim:

Welcome aboard!:w

Welcome to CAC! Its great to see another Rhode Islander here!. All the advice listed above is the best. You'll love this place as you follow along! This is only a hobby for me, but so far this "hobby" has taught me alot. Anything I can do to help, let me know! :beer

I recently acquired a white 89, 6 speed, with removable top and 90k miles. Let me be frank, I am not mechanically inclined. This car was sitting out in New England winters and summers for 4 years before I rescued her. I’ve polished her up as best as I could and I must say she still looks sharp. I am willing to do small things such as, wash, wax, and polish. I recently changed the battery and read some blogs on changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid. I had a friend change spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, wiper blades, oil change. I would like to now do the weather stripping and the alternator, rear view mirror and a few other small cosmetics, but would really like a “corvette guy” to do it. Does anyone know of someone or someplace in RI that either works on these things in their garage as a hobby or a reputable corvette business? I drove the car last season and had no issues, my goal is to do a few nice upgrades every year. Also, I have not been able to locate the wheel lock key…is this a big deal? Any other suggestions for easy jobs that I could do would be greatly appreciated (K&N air filter, might be this coming weekends small job).
Thanks for any input you may have.
89RI

Welcome :cool!:

As other have stated, get a FSM. That will teach you how to tell someone what to fix or at least so you will know what they are talking about...$75 for a used 2 book set on Flea-Bay. Absolute bargin. Lots to know and understand, even for your mechanic.

Do a site search here for help with weatherstrip. I recently posted a detailed "how to" on that and have had many folks do it themselves successfully. Its not bad at all once you know the simple tricks. The 7 piece set for the cabin can get pricey...around $500 last time I looked. Its about $150 more if you buy the pieces one at a time...So, buying the 7 piece kit offers some savings and introduces you to the "Corvette tax"...

The rest...all comes down to your level of interest. Locate a local Corvette club and talk to the members about who does their service and repairs. Join and attend a "cruise-in" some Saturday afternoon or nite...meet some other enthusiast. A Corvette club meeting truely is a level field...guys/gals with brand new Vettes, others that are as old as I am...Everyone there is an equal. You'll find a great bunch of people from every walk of life.

The wheel key...call a couple tire/wheel shops and ask them if they can break the locks off. You really want to deal with this now, instead of being in a situation where you are stranded. Buy a new set of 'Gorilla-Locks' at the auto parts store so you will have a good key. I like Gorilla's because they have a code number and sticker that you keep, so you can get a new key if you loose the original gorilla key.

And as you come across "upgrades" each yr, just be aware that there is a HUGE aftermarket for vette stuff...not all of it works well for everybody. Do not hesitate to get the opinion of everyone here before you buy. You now have access to Tech writers, techs, mechanics, lifelong owners and other folks that simply love their car. They have nothing to gain by pushing any particular product or upgrade.

Above all, no matter if its running, broken or just sitting in your driveway, your Corvette is yours, so enjoy owning it ! No matter what anyone else says...

They wish that it was in Their driveway! I gaurentee it.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom