Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help deciphering wires (1980)

Slotehog

Corvette
1980 red L-82 Coupe
Ok, I have had this Vette (1980 L82) for just over three months and the "greatness" of it is starting to wear off. I am starting to notice things that I didn't when I bought it. Today's problem is that of the cigarette lighter and rear defog switch, which don't work. I have taken off the side console panel to find neither are connected to anything and furthermore that "Bubba was here!!" The O-ring for the ground wire has been cut and removed and I believe this orange wire with plastic connector is the power supply for the lighter...am I correct?
View attachment 20756
Also, there is a a larger grey connector with purple, orange and black wires..is this supposed to connect to the defog switch?
View attachment 20757

;help

Ok, I have had this Vette (1980 L82) for just over three months and the "greatness" of it is starting to wear off. I am starting to notice things that I didn't when I bought it. Today's problem is that of the cigarette lighter and rear defog switch, which don't work. I have taken off the side console panel to find neither are connected to anything and furthermore that "Bubba was here!!" The O-ring for the ground wire has been cut and removed and I believe this orange wire with plastic connector is the power supply for the lighter...am I correct?
View attachment 20756
Also, there is a a larger grey connector with purple, orange and black wires..is this supposed to connect to the defog switch?
View attachment 20757

;help

1. Yes!

2. Yes! But it seems that my 78 has a little different plug than that,I'll see if I can find a 80 schematic!

Thanks for the quick response, but that grey connector has four female receptacles (not sure if that's right), that don't really line up with the defog switch. You can kind of see the switch just above the grey connector and my fat fangers in the pic. Any suggestions?

Just found out something about my Vette and her previous Bubba owners... 1) She was one of the last ten 1980 Vettes built. 2) Apparently there is a difference between defog switches in early 1980 and late 1980, causing a 3) difference in console trim plates as well. This caused one of the Bubbas to install an early defog switch and console plate rather than doing it correctly. So, even though I never need the switch because she is never out when it is needed, it still irks the hell outta me that it doesn't work.

What is my cheapest remedy? Buying the correct switch and console trim or "Bubba Rigging" an early 78-80E wiring connector?

...Just found out something about my Vette and her previous Bubba owners... 1) She was one of the last ten 1980 Vettes built...

Easy to check. #40614 was the last one. What's your VIN?

I'm not sure of the differences in the switches. My advice would be to purchase the 80 late trim plate and 80 late switch. Corvette Central has both. Willcox might have them.
:)

Easy to check. #40614 was the last one. What's your VIN?

I'm not sure of the differences in the switches. My advice would be to purchase the 80 late trim plate and 80 late switch. Corvette Central has both. Willcox might have them.
:)

My VIN ends 40605...one of the very last 1980s...almost an '81 ha

Apparently the difference is size and green LED light. The 78-80E switch has the green LED light and measures 1" and the 80L-82 has no light and measures 1 1/2"

My VIN ends 40605...one of the very last 1980s...almost an '81 ha

Apparently the difference is size and green LED light. The 78-80E switch has the green LED light and measures 1" and the 80L-82 has no light and measures 1 1/2"
I'd just find a early plastic plug and remove the connectors out of it with a dental pick,remove the wires from yours and put them in the earlier plug!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom