Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help identifying my carb.

66NICK98

Corvette
1966 Blue Conv, 1998 Black Conv.
I know it's a Holley, 4 barrel, double pumper. It is on my 66 327 but certainly
not the original carb. Would you say something this big is probably a 850cfm?

Maybe too much carb for my car since the stock ones where what....600-650cfm.

The reason I'm asking is that the car has been stumbling or missing upon acceleration. I took out the accel spark plugs yesterday and put in the R45s
and reset the dwell which seemed to help. The R45s appear to reach further into
the cylinder so maybe I'm getting a better spark.

I'm thinking about goung back to the stock wires rather than the accel wires I have. The car came with an accel distributor and a generic coil. I have an AC Delco coil on order and would like to go back to the stock distributor.

But if that Holley is too big I may have to get the proper 4160.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

What are the numbers on the front of the air horn? As in - list xxxxx. That is not a double pumper. It has vacuum secondaries.

I have to admit I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the carb. I have had the car since 1994 and never had any trouble with it. It is only now that the
misfires are happening - when I replaced the plugs and wires with aftermarket brands.

When I look at the carb there are numbers all over the place. The number the Holley book says to look for in identifying the year is 1795 which I take to mean
the 179th day of a year ending in 5.

I will have to go over the carb more in detail and pull all of the numbers I can
see to make more sense of it.

I thought those two fuel line going into the floats made it a double pumper;shrug

Thanks

It will have "LIST xxxx" stamped in the forward side of the choke air horn vertical wall on the driver's side - that's the number that will identify it (or at least the main body). I've never seen a primary float bowl like that with the big vent tube - probably from a marine application.

:beer

numbers on carb

Thanks JohnZ,
The number is list 7010 and underneath that - 1695, the other side has 48323

I have an e-mail into Summit Racing to see if they have a replacement that

will work with my car. Any other sources I should check out for the proper carb?

7010 is a 780 cfm, vac. secondary 4160 type carb. At 780 vac. secondary carb is a good choice for that engine as long as you don't require the original Holley.

I wouldn't replace it unless you've conclusively diagnosed the issue as a carburetor problem which cannot be repaired.

Stumble or missing on acceleration can be caused by a carb problem but it also can be caused by a number of other ills.

Thank you so much Hib. The 2 fuel line going into the bowls do not make it a double
pumper? I am a little confused at to what makes a carb a double pumper. The car originally had a 4160 according to the owners manual, just at a lower cfm. The car did seem to run better after putting in the R45 plugs and resetting the dwell. I am kind of hung up on gettin the car as original as possible being that I have an accel distributer but knowing that the carb is a 4160 is a help..it is not a marine carb is it?

Thank you so much Hib. The 2 fuel line going into the bowls do not make it a double
pumper? I am a little confused at to what makes a carb a double pumper. The car originally had a 4160 according to the owners manual, just at a lower cfm. The car did seem to run better after putting in the R45 plugs and resetting the dwell. I am kind of hung up on gettin the car as original as possible being that I have an accel distributer but knowing that the carb is a 4160 is a help..it is not a marine carb is it?

A "double-pumper" has mechanical (not vacuum) secondaries, and has dual accelerator pumps and squirters. Your car originally had a LIST 3367, P/N 3884505, which was a model 4160, 585CFM, with a single fuel inlet. The carb on it currently is an aftermarket model, and may be for a marine application.

Thanks, John. I have been corresponding with Summit Racing and Holley Carb Number
HLY-0-80457S seems to be the correct current replacement for my car unless I want to
find an original somewhere. This new Holly does not have adjustable floats and is not
dichromatic but it might fit the bill if I still have any trouble with the performance of my
car. Do you know of any places I can inquire about getting an original carb?
Thanks again.

A "double-pumper" has mechanical (not vacuum) secondaries, and has dual accelerator pumps and squirters. Your car originally had a LIST 3367, P/N 3884505, which was a model 4160, 585CFM, with a single fuel inlet. The carb on it currently is an aftermarket model, and may be for a marine application.

I have found used cores on eBay.......and of course swap meets. Chicago Corvette Supply in Chicago, AL FERIKE 800-872-2446
has been seling carburators for Corvettes for years.

Thanks, John. I have been corresponding with Summit Racing and Holley Carb Number
HLY-0-80457S seems to be the correct current replacement for my car unless I want to
find an original somewhere. This new Holly does not have adjustable floats and is not
dichromatic but it might fit the bill if I still have any trouble with the performance of my
car. Do you know of any places I can inquire about getting an original carb?
Thanks again.

Have you checked with our tech folks at the Holley office? The # is on the holley.com website.

Two fuel lines, one going to each float bowl, makes it a "dual feed" Holley. A "double pumper" has two accelerator pumps and mechanical secondaries. Be definition, double pumpers are 4150s not 4160s. A 4150 has two metering blocks and a 4160 has a metering block on the primary end but a metering plate on the secondary end.

If the dwell was off significantly, the car ought to run much better.

A 4160 is a broad type of carb line. Generally, 4160s are all "traditional" Holley four-barrels with metering plates on the secondary side. Some are marine others are not.

The key number is the other one...the 7010. That more closely ID's the carb.

That looks familiar and probably not a bad deal for a new carb. I have $460. in mine including the core I bought cheap. Bob Kunz had to replace one bowl and the metering block. Also this is a driver rebuild and not the NCRS show quality job.

Tom

47b7cc22b3127cceb1bd92447a2200000026100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

Tom, I dunno if the engine in your photo is running yet or not, but if it is, you'll have a vacuum leak where the vac advance line connects to the carb nipple - needs a rubber hose on it that covers the joint between the two pipes. :)

Thanks John,

Yes I know that. You would think that someone with a drawer full of odds and ends of vacuum hose would have everthing he needs, wouldn't you? Well that is one size that I don't even have a small piece of. I have been meaning to stop at the NAPA for a couple of weeks but keep forgetting when I go by.

I need to get parts for trans cooler lines too before I start the engine so it is on my list.

Tom

Carb Help

Thank you all so much for your input on this matter. This past weekend I rechecked the dwell degrees and it was registering 34 so I reset it to 30. I then
hooked up a vacuum guage to the carb and that came in at a steady 17...right where it is supposed to be.

I took the car for a quick drive on Sat. and it ran much better. Of course now there is snow in the forecast and it is in the 30's so I can't even drive the car.
I'll have to switch to the 98 again for comfort and reliable heat.

I think going back to the R45 plugs helped and I am going to put on the stock wires again.

Thanks once again to all.

I would go with Dr. John's advice and call Holley directly if you have ANY technical questions about their carbs. Never got a bad bit of advice. They'll be real clear about not being Holley advice but they may tell you what they know about any oddball applications that may help you.

I would go with Dr. John's advice and call Holley directly if you have ANY technical questions about their carbs. Never got a bad bit of advice. They'll be real clear about not being Holley advice but they may tell you what they know about any oddball applications that may help you.

Those guys talk every day, all day about their applications. Chances are, they have talked to someone in your position, and can make a suggestion. You can also e-mail them through the website.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom