Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Need help in which LT4 to get

1996 LT4 Topic
T

topduarte

After some serious consideration and after owning 5 camaros, I have decided to buy a vette. I have done a lot of research and have either pinpointed toa 96 LT4 or a 80-82 shark.

The help I need is that there are 2 in my area for sale, one is a dark purple with 16k miles, dual power seats, bronze tint top, cd and cassette. They are asking $25,900.

The other is a CE with 42k miles with the grey interior. They are asking $21,995.

I have been lurking on these boards and have seen some better deals talked about. Are these good deals? I know they will probably come down at least $1000 on the purple and perhaps $500 on the CE.

Another question is did all 6 speeds in 96 come with 3.45 gears?

In addition, is their an RPO sheet on the vettes somewhere? Camaros have them either in the glove boxes, or in the rear trunk storage area?

I am trying to find out if the Purple has the Z51 package? Are the front wheels the only way to tell if it has the Z51 package???

I am going to get the VIN's today to check if the rocker arms recall has been fixed on these 2 lt4's.

Any other advice, help would be appreciated.

Manny

Manny,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

To me, they both sound like good deals. The purple one is attractive because of the low mileage and the CE is attractive because of the fact that it's a CE even though it has higher mileage than the purple one.

All of the 6-speed Corvettes in '96 came with the 3.45 gears.

I believe that on the 1996 Model Year, there should be a "Service Parts Identification" label with the RPOs listed under the center console cover. If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!

1996 the list was moved from the center console, to under the lid of the rear storage compartment...

Both prices sound great to me, because I own one and want to keep the prices up... BUT the fact is, there are much better deals to be found... it takes a lot of research and time though... I bought mine a year ago, with 28k, and just about every option, for 18,300.... yes, it was a steal, and I could still sell it for 20k today, but the point is the more you look, the easier it is to find someone that needs money and has to sell... keep in mind a low mileage corvette like this falls into the 'second car market' . since they aren't necessary, they are the first things to go when times get tough, so you can usually find someone that needs to sell their car

oh, and yes, all 6 speeds came with 3.45 rear ends... the performance axle option was only mated with the automatic transmissions

Well, it looks like Rob and Bob answered your questions Manny. Guess I'll just say "welcome to the CACC." I'm glad you decided to come out of lurk mode and join in on the fun.:) Let us know what you decide to get.

Jason

On the CE, it would be a pretty good deal for $20k, so you may want to offer it to the guy, and if he doesn't take it just walk away... not too many negotiating tactics work as well as walking away..... I can't tell you the number of times I have seen heard about the seller calling up the next day, or next week saying he will take the low offer because he can't sell the car:)

Dark Purple is the rarest of the 96's for color... only 320 of them were built... far more collectable then the CE in which there were over 5K built.

There are better deals out there thou... I paid less then 17K for my LT4.

Thanks for all the replies.

Vettelt193, 2 years ago I bought a 92 z28 with 44k miles and fully loaded from a guy 2 years ago. He first wanted $10k, then he said he had a buyer for $9500.

A month later, I bought it for $8k. 9 months later with 7k more miles, I sold it for $10k.

Yeah, the CE is closer to bluue book value (if there is such a thing) than the 16k mile LT4.

Decision, decisions!!!

Thanks and any mor einfo would be appreciated.

Manny

Welcome to the boards.......glad to have you

IMHO......I'd go for the lower mileage........flyin' purple mustang eater.........I like the idea of 16k.........but.....they are so out there on the $$'s........they live in Austin...you say??

Welcome! Paid 23.9k for mine w/13k miles back in June. In brand new condition. Bought from a private party. You can expect to pay more from a dealer. There are lots of vettes out there but you will pay a premium for a nice LT4 w/ low miles. Good Luck, Guy

Welcome to the :CAC Manny! good choice of vette! i found a few GS for around that much, so id go for a GS if that is ur price range!

topduarte said:
. . . , one is a dark purple with 16k miles, dual power seats, bronze tint top, cd and cassette. They are asking $25,900.

Any other advice, help would be appreciated.

Manny

Manny,

I'd definitely go for the Purple Monster! :upthumbs

I got rid of my Z28 earlier this year and got a Vette. The Z28 was nice, but it wasn't a Vette !!!

By the way, welcome to :CAC

:w Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

The purple one is pretty cool... what you really want to consider is how much you will drive your 'Vette... if you plan on putting some miles on it, the CE is a better deal. If you plan on driving it every once in a while, or on the weekends, the lower mile vette is a good deal. On a side note, purple is rare for a reason... many people won't buy a purple 'Vette, so just because it is rare, doesn't mean it is worth more.... likewise, even though they made 5k CE's, they still pull a premium over a standard '96, because it is desirable. The market doesn't really reward rare, but it does reward desirable, and it reall rewards rare and desirable.

I paid $19,999 for my 60,000 mile LT4 CE two years ago.
I'd go with the CE regardless.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom