Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help Now

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
I'm installing new door switches in the '91. the replacement parts have the same little peg in the middle of the button as the old ones. The only difference is on the new ones the peg sticks out a lot further. Is this part adjustable? I thought it would set itself in when the door got reclosed but my friend and I just succeeded in demolishing a perfectly good new switch. Help please!!!!!!

Sooner the better!
Spiderman :w :_rock

idea?

In the absence of direct knowledge, can you 'crush' something soft in the switch area to determine the closed space? (like PlayDoh or clay)

Then compare it to the 'door shut' height of the new switch, from the top of the button to the base, where it seats in the door jamb. The nub is all plastic, right? I don't see why trimming is not an option, but check and recheck that something else did not cause the breakage. I'd double check that the closed height of new and old switches is indeed different.

I'd expect that GM is reducing part numbers (and storage) by 'universalizing' such parts.

So it was the correct part, but I managed to break two of them in the process. At $11.00 a pop I would recommend patience for anyone doing this in the future. My friend and I got a little gung ho on this "simple" task.

These switches are pretty low on the durability scale. The "nub" on the end of the switch (kind of looks a screw or a small flat topped nail) is only ribbed, not threaded. This means that once the ribs get worn from constant force (opening and closing the door) the "nub" just comes loose and slides in the switch. Even the initial setting of this "nub" to get the gap right, to close the circuit when the door closes (technically opening the circuit) puts wear on it. A threaded adjustment to shorten or lengthen the switch would have been a monumental advancement in this case.

I replaced the drivers side with a new switch, but carefully had to tap the "nub" down to the correct height to work properly and not shatter it like first one.;stupid
For the passenger side I ended up using the original switch but I pulled out the old "nub" and replaced it with the nub that was on the second switch I broke. :) Being that this hole was worn already I cut the end off of an 18 gauge "butt connector" and used that little 1/8 inch piece of plastic as a sleeve to keep the "nub" from sliding all the way in. Works great.

This was all done without having to take off the door panels too. There is a backing that the screws hold onto that fasten the switch to the door frame. It's the same shape as the switch. After removing one screw I took about a six inch piece of wire from a clothes hanger (bent two inches at the end 90 degrees) put it in the screw hole and held the backing plate up while the other screw came out. After the switch was hanging out a little I put one screw back in to hold the plate. then you just have to get the switch out . (lather, rinse, repeat in opposite order)

It's never easy is it. Might be helpful to someone in the future.

:w Spiderman (Lord of the Dooor Switch) :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom