Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help On My '81

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
The previous owner of my recently purchased '81 tried to make it "go faster" by installing an Edelbrock Perfomer RPM manifold, and removing the smog pump, A/C, power steering, etc. He had to use an adaptor plate to re-use the Q-Jet, so of course the hood wouldn't even close now. The car ran terrible when I bought it last fall. He did not have the computer harnesses hooked back up.
I have removed the intake, (the head surfaces were not cleaned well at all, which may have contributed to it running poorly) and want to use a stock type manifold. I got (supposedly) all the original parts with the car. The other intake I have, though, is a 14057053. I don't find it in my reference books (to "new"), can someone tell me what this is, and is it nearly identical too the '81 manifold?
The other thing, more importantly, is, should I use the computer controlled carb? I am not very good with carbs, and have had one person already advise me to just find a regular Q-Jet (which I would have to find), and switch to a vacuum type HEI distributor (which I have on the shelf). Or is making the stock stuff work well not all that complicated?
Thanks in advance!
Dick

Hmmm, if it's that far gone, and you don't need to have it emissions tested, you probably ought to forget the computer controls. That would mean changing the distributor and carb. You won't need the 02 sensor, the exhaust heat riser or the engine temp sender. The heat riser is not computer controlled and is normally open, so you can plug the TVS on the thermostat housing. Getting rid of the RPM manifold is a good thing too. Go with the Edelbrock Performer or the stock unit... Parts off an '80 (non California) would work well. The '81 has the shorty headers with the air tubes, so those will need to be capped as well. Might not be a bad idea to remove the cat, especially if it's original (very restrictive).

I show #14057053 to be CID = 305, 350; Year = Late Model; Application = Passenger, Camaro, Truck; 4 BC, Aluminum, Q-Jet, W/EGR

I just went out in the garage and took a look a Rare:
#14033058 with MCFM on a seperate line closer to the Carb.

Dick I hope this helps, sounds like the one you have would be ok, if you have clearance. Good Luck

Bud

Bud,

I think you might have dropped a digit. 14033058

Tom

Tom thanks, that sounds better. Poor lighting and old eyes .. dangerous combination ;)

Bud

Dick,

I hear that the stock Q-Jet is nearly impossible to find new, and that all that can be found out there are reworked ones. However, if you don't care about original equipment, but you also want to keep the convinience of the computer control, then check with the folks at Holley.

Their model 4175 (list 0-80073) is a spread-bore that is a direct replacement for 1982 - 83 Pontiac Trans-Am and Z-28's. I would bet you that they can provide you with the particular model that will work with the L81. Also, this 4175 model is considered to be totally compatible with GM systems (meaning computer controlled systems). :)

Poor lighting and old eyes .. dangerous combination

Yoda...use the Force....:L

if you wanna dump the computer stuff

Dick:
If you want to keep it all original, the others' suggestions are of more help than I can offer.

If not, swap the RPM for a regular non-egr performer pn 2101 or weiand 8004 (either will fit both qjet & squarebore with no need of adapter ... so hood will close) ... acquire a good used/rebuildable/new non-computer qjet ... use an earlier style HEI.

Edelbrock markets brand new qjets that are made by license-holder Weber. Likely Edelbrock pn's for you are 1901, 1902 and 1910 ... new retail about $390 - $460.

Earlier HEI with large coil-in-cap & vacuum advance are found in junkyards for as little as $30 (they have 3 wires exiting distributor base to a connector that snaps into cap) ... used/rebuilt ones abound on ebay for $30 - $90. New asian knockoffs run $100 - $150. Accel has new & blueprinted ones for $120 - $140 ... Accel pn's 9107 & 59107. GM sells performance HEI complete w/coil, cap, rotor, gear, vac advance ... GM pn 1104067 ... retails about $225.
JACK:gap

Thank- You all for your replies and your tips! I think I'll be leaning toward putting the original Q-Jet on the shelf, along with the other emission control stuff. We don't have to worry (yet) in MI about smog checks.
There's a swap meet this weekend in Kalamazoo- I'll see if I can find anything there. (I love the hunt!)
Depending on what I can come up with, I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions along the way.
Thanks again!
Dick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom