Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help With 69 Production Date

iloveitbb

Corvette
1969 coupe
Hi, Been fooling around with Vette's for 40+ years now, first was a 57 with a 427 (yes) 4speed.I have a 82 and just picked up a 69 Matching numbers 4speed but I could use some help in finding out the production date as the trim tag was lost by the previous owner when the car was repainted. If anyone has a NCRS Birthday book and can give me that info that would help me alot. The vin # is 194379S701929. Seems to me it would have a production date late in august 1968, around the 4th week. By the way this is a great forum, glad I joined.

Bill

How can that be, production of 1969 Corvette's did not start till 8/1968. and ran to 12/69 because of the strike. Now with a total production of 38,762, if you do the math there were around 2,280 produced a month as a rough guide. with my production number at 1,929 that would put it in the first month (8/68). Just Saying

How can that be, production of 1969 Corvette's did not start till 8/1968. and ran to 12/69 because of the strike. Now with a total production of 38,762, if you do the math there were around 2,280 produced a month as a rough guide. with my production number at 1,929 that would put it in the first month (8/68). Just Saying

You're right. The online calculator I used was incorrect and I didn't catch it.

Production of the '69 model year did not start on Aug.1 as the '68s were still being built. Time (days/weeks) was then required for typical re-tooling in between models.

Very few '69s were actually built in August as a result. Estimated assembly of car 01929 was somewhere around Sept. 19, 1968.

69 Vette

Thanks for your quick response. I'm just curious are you going by that NCRS Birthday Book or some other way. I don't like the idea of not having the trim tag on the car, I know it's the original color exterior paint and same with the interior, but would like to get a close production date also. Not playing any games I would just like it.

Bill

I used the calculator on the C3registry.com site. It correlates well with the NCRS green book.

It's a shame that the original trim tag was lost, but please don't be tempted to buy one of the reproductions. They're easily detectable and many people will regard such a car as being a counterfeit.

Welcome to Corvette Action Center

Welcome aboard :happyanim:

-Bill :w

69 Vette

Thanks for the site info. I don't know, I feel if your upfront with a potential buyer and let them know it's a replacement trim tag with the original info. Let's face it there is not much info on it other than exterior color, interior color/material, and production date. It's not like for example an older Camaro which has many options/ info on the trim tag that if you tamper with it and many do it can really change the value of the car. So I ask you do you think not having the trim tag on my 69 hurts it resale value. Thanks again

It might be time to move this discussion from the intro section to the tech section.

Since you mentioned the NCRS in a previous post, trim tags are now evaluated for authenticity during judging . A car discovered to have a repro tag is labelled counterfeit and judging activities cease at that point since there is the possibility that an attempt at fraud is being made.

A car with NO trim tag might be 'judgeable' if the original external colour and internal trim config. can be separately documented. A tank sticker might suffice.

Somewhere down the line, the car might be sold to someone who cares about such things. Not likely that they'd pay top dollar for the car with the above knowledge.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom