Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help with Air Conditioning

Dperreault1

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
Hello all,

Here is my issue.

I had to replace my compressor. I changed the Dryer, Ora-face tube and Compressor. New O-rings on all fittings.

After the change I evacuated the system for 45 minutes. The system held negative pressure so there are no leaks.

I then proceed to charge the system. With the car off I added the first of three Oil+Freon. Each can holds 3oz of oil and 1oz of Freon. The three cans went in fine. I was then able to start the car and allow the compressor to engage, at first there is not enough pressure for it to trip the system.

I then proceeded to add one can of freon, 12oz. After filling with only one can the system was at 29psi on the low side and 215psi on the high side. Right where it is supposed to be. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the book says 9oz of oil and 28oz of freon. Here is the weird part. The air coming out of the vent was holding steady at 60 degrees F. My buddy told me we should not put any more in the system as it could over pressurize and cause damage.

We unhooked everything and I decided that our job was over. I left my buddy's house and on the way home I threw these codes.

U1160-Loss Communication with LDCM
B0432- Body Control Module
B2262- Horizontal Position Sensor Fit
B2264- Vertical Position Sensor Fit
B2265- Horizontal Position Sensor Fault
B0851-Battery 1 out of range
P0153 H C-????? not sure on this one.

I also noticed that the air coming out of the passenger side was still 60 degrees and the air coming out of the drivers vents were only 78 degrees. Here again is the weird part. When I came to a stop light, my vents went down to 60 degrees. As I took off again the warmer air started to come out again. All the while the passenger side was nice and cold.

I know some of you have dealt with this and I'm hoping you can give me a fix for this problem.

First, why only 15oz of freon and the system works at the proper PSI?
Second, why only passenger side getting cold?
Lastly, Why driver vents dropping in temp when at idle?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Kansas

Hello all,

Here is my issue.

I had to replace my compressor. I changed the Dryer, Ora-face tube and Compressor. New O-rings on all fittings.

After the change I evacuated the system for 45 minutes. The system held negative pressure so there are no leaks.

I then proceed to charge the system. With the car off I added the first of three Oil+Freon. Each can holds 3oz of oil and 1oz of Freon. The three cans went in fine. I was then able to start the car and allow the compressor to engage, at first there is not enough pressure for it to trip the system.

I then proceeded to add one can of freon, 12oz. After filling with only one can the system was at 29psi on the low side and 215psi on the high side. Right where it is supposed to be. Now correct me if I'm wrong but the book says 9oz of oil and 28oz of freon. Here is the weird part. The air coming out of the vent was holding steady at 60 degrees F. My buddy told me we should not put any more in the system as it could over pressurize and cause damage.

We unhooked everything and I decided that our job was over. I left my buddy's house and on the way home I threw these codes.

U1160-Loss Communication with LDCM
B0432- Body Control Module
B2262- Horizontal Position Sensor Fit
B2264- Vertical Position Sensor Fit
B2265- Horizontal Position Sensor Fault
B0851-Battery 1 out of range
P0153 H C-????? not sure on this one.

I also noticed that the air coming out of the passenger side was still 60 degrees and the air coming out of the drivers vents were only 78 degrees. Here again is the weird part. When I came to a stop light, my vents went down to 60 degrees. As I took off again the warmer air started to come out again. All the while the passenger side was nice and cold.

I know some of you have dealt with this and I'm hoping you can give me a fix for this problem.

First, why only 15oz of freon and the system works at the proper PSI?
Second, why only passenger side getting cold?
Lastly, Why driver vents dropping in temp when at idle?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Kansas
Did you flush out the old oil from evaporator and condenser?

As for all the codes popping up,several things could cause this,I would start with cleaning and inspection of All grounds and B+ connections!

As for all the codes popping up,several things could cause this,I would start with cleaning and inspection of All grounds and B+ connections!

[h=1]DTC P0133 or P0153[/h][h=5]Circuit Description[/h]The powertrain control module (PCM) continuously monitors the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) activity for 60 seconds. During the monitoring period, the PCM counts the times that the HO2S responds from rich to lean and from lean to rich, and adds the time it took to complete all transitions. With this information, the PCM can determine the average time for all transitions. If the average response time is too slow, a DTC sets.
The PCM determines the lean to rich transition when the HO2S voltage changes from less than 300 mV to more than 600 mV. The PCM determines the rich to lean transition when the HO2S voltage changes from more than 600 mV to less than 300 mV. If the HO2S responds too slowly a DTC will set.
[h=5]Conditions for Running the DTC[/h]
  • DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0131, P0132, P0134, P0135, P0151, P0152, P0154, P0155, P0200, P0300, P0410, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P1120, P1125, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1415, P1416, P1441, P1514, P1515, P1516, P1517, or P1518 are not set.
  • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 50°C (122°F).
  • The ignition 1 signal is between 9-18 volts.
  • The loop status is Closed.
  • The engine speed between 1,000-2,300 RPM.
  • The engine air flow is between 18-50 g/s.
  • The evaporative emission (EVAP) purge solenoid is more than 0 percent.
  • The engine run time is more than 160 seconds.
  • The throttle position (TP) indicated angle is 5 percent more than the value observed at idle.
  • The fuel tank level remaining is more than 10 percent.
  • The above conditions are met for 60 seconds.
[h=5]Conditions for Setting the DTC[/h]
  • The lean to rich response, defined as less than 300 mV to more than 600 mV, average time is more than a calibrated amount.
  • The rich to lean response, defined as more than 600 mV to less than 300 mV, average time is more than a calibrated amount.
[h=5]Action Taken When the DTC Sets[/h]
  • The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
[h=5]Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC[/h]
  • The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
[h=5]Diagnostic Aids[/h]
[h=4]Important[/h]
  • Before you service the PCM and throttle actuator control (TAC) module, remove any debris from the module connector surfaces. Inspect the module connector gaskets when you diagnose or replace the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are correctly installed. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the modules.
  • Use the J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit for any test that requires probing the PCM or probing a component harness connector. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness and component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Wiring Systems.

• This diagnostic only runs once per ignition cycle.
  • A malfunction in the HO2S heater circuits causes a DTC to set. Inspect the HO2S heater circuits for intermittent opens and connections. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.
  • An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or for contamination. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
  • For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
[h=5]Test Description[/h]The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step determines if the fault is present. This test may take 5 minutes for the diagnostic to run.
  2. When DTCs P0133 and P0153 are set at the same time a fuel contamination concern is present.
  3. An exhaust leak 6-12 inches away from the HO2S can cause a DTC to set.
  4. This step verifies whether a good ground circuit is available.
  5. This step tests the integrity of the signal circuit to the PCM.
  6. This step tests the integrity of the signal circuit to the PCM.
  7. Certain room-temperature vulcanizing (RTV) silicone gasket materials release vapors that can contaminate the HO2S. Silicone in the fuel can also cause silicone contamination. If the sensors appear to be silicone-contaminated and if all the silicone sealant is a non-silicone base, advise the customer to try a different fuel company.

Did you flush out the old oil from evaporator and condenser?

No the system was pretty clean. The Compressor didn't lock up or blow up.

DTC P0133 or P0153

Circuit Description

The powertrain control module (PCM) continuously monitors the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) activity for 60 seconds. During the monitoring period, the PCM counts the times that the HO2S responds from rich to lean and from lean to rich, and adds the time it took to complete all transitions. With this information, the PCM can determine the average time for all transitions. If the average response time is too slow, a DTC sets.
The PCM determines the lean to rich transition when the HO2S voltage changes from less than 300 mV to more than 600 mV. The PCM determines the rich to lean transition when the HO2S voltage changes from more than 600 mV to less than 300 mV. If the HO2S responds too slowly a DTC will set.
Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0131, P0132, P0134, P0135, P0151, P0152, P0154, P0155, P0200, P0300, P0410, P0440, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P1120, P1125, P1220, P1221, P1258, P1415, P1416, P1441, P1514, P1515, P1516, P1517, or P1518 are not set.
  • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 50°C (122°F).
  • The ignition 1 signal is between 9-18 volts.
  • The loop status is Closed.
  • The engine speed between 1,000-2,300 RPM.
  • The engine air flow is between 18-50 g/s.
  • The evaporative emission (EVAP) purge solenoid is more than 0 percent.
  • The engine run time is more than 160 seconds.
  • The throttle position (TP) indicated angle is 5 percent more than the value observed at idle.
  • The fuel tank level remaining is more than 10 percent.
  • The above conditions are met for 60 seconds.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

• The lean to rich response, defined as less than 300 mV to more than 600 mV, average time is more than a calibrated amount.
  • The rich to lean response, defined as more than 600 mV to less than 300 mV, average time is more than a calibrated amount.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
  • The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Important

• Before you service the PCM and throttle actuator control (TAC) module, remove any debris from the module connector surfaces. Inspect the module connector gaskets when you diagnose or replace the modules. Ensure that the gaskets are correctly installed. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the modules.
  • Use the J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit for any test that requires probing the PCM or probing a component harness connector. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness and component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Wiring Systems.

• This diagnostic only runs once per ignition cycle.
  • A malfunction in the HO2S heater circuits causes a DTC to set. Inspect the HO2S heater circuits for intermittent opens and connections. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.
  • An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or for contamination. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
  • For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step determines if the fault is present. This test may take 5 minutes for the diagnostic to run.
  2. When DTCs P0133 and P0153 are set at the same time a fuel contamination concern is present.
  3. An exhaust leak 6-12 inches away from the HO2S can cause a DTC to set.
  4. This step verifies whether a good ground circuit is available.
  5. This step tests the integrity of the signal circuit to the PCM.
  6. This step tests the integrity of the signal circuit to the PCM.
  7. Certain room-temperature vulcanizing (RTV) silicone gasket materials release vapors that can contaminate the HO2S. Silicone in the fuel can also cause silicone contamination. If the sensors appear to be silicone-contaminated and if all the silicone sealant is a non-silicone base, advise the customer to try a different fuel company.

What language is that, Greek? I got nothing! Lol

No the system was pretty clean. The Compressor didn't lock up or blow up.
If you didn't completely flush the system,your system has 2-4 oz too much oil in it,It don't have room for the right amount of refrigerant!:thumb

R-134a must be weighed in exact amount,1oz too much or 1 oz too little, the system "Will Not"cool properly!:thumb:thumb

What language is that, Greek? I got nothing! Lol

Well Then,Some things should be left for a professional!~!!! :D

If you didn't completely flush the system,your system has 2-4 oz too much oil in it,It don't have room for the right amount of refrigerant!:thumb

R-134a must be weighed in exact amount,1oz too much or 1 oz too little, the system "Will Not"cool properly!:thumb:thumb

Well Then,Some things should be left for a professional!~!!! :D

That seem logical. I guess I need to take it in to have serviced.

Hi,

I don't know if you've had the problem fixed already or not but I had a very similar problem. With my car I had all of the same symptoms you're having, also when I tried to turn the a/c up (blow more air), it felt like it was blowing less air than the lowest setting on other vehicles. Passenger side blew cold air and blew more air than the driver side. I tried the freon, checked to see if I had a vacuum leak. Turns out it was the actuator that controls the door for the temperature. After I got that replaced my a/c was freezing cold both sides and works fine now. Here is a link to a site I found that goes into a little more about a/c problems, 1997-04 Corvette Air Conditioning Issues | CC Tech - Corvette Performance, Restoration and Repair , hope this helps. Like I said for me it ended up being the driver side actuator.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom