Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help With Everything (lol)... Newbie 1984 crossfire

Signed up for the crossfire forum?

How many vac hoses are there? and where?
Where would I find this in the manual?
What am I actually listening for? Change it rpm's?

May sound stupid but never done it before..lol.

I do have a hissing sound when I have someone hit the gas while sitting. With our without the filter housing on. I know the hoses that are running around the air cleaner - is that the ones I should check? any others?

Thanks again and I am just going to go ahead and get that flex pipe that runs from the heat stove...

Thanks again

Todd

You need a vac hose map....

This should be in the shop manual...

just make sure that all hoses go somewhere..

Also the cars been running weird for sometime...

Remove the battery ( reset the ECM ) and drive it easy for 20 minutes..

That way the ECM can learn.. and adjust...

Just no extended romping with the check engine light on!

thanks again.

Will try that and read over the manual tonight and see what I can find.

Give it an easy ride tomorrow after clearing everything and see what happens.

Todd

Howdy Todd

Check any small hose to see if it is hooked up somewhere or plug it, I would check as much as possible with air cleaner on.

Make sure all intake manifold bolts are tight.

Biggest improvement I have had is when I replaced O2 sensor which is located in drivers side exhaust pipe, right in front of the catalytic convertor.

hi guys - didnt get a chance to work on too much today. should be able to check the hoses tomorrow. Thanks again for all your guys help

Todd

father & son

Could ther be some EGR problems?? Good luck
vett4-01.jpg

WOW CLEAN 84!

Todd...

Do you have a mighty vac pump? if not you'll need one!

Its a handy tool to check egr/ vac valves etc,etc

Vig~

Todd, another welcome from a former 84 owner :beer
You can make a homemade manometer to balance your TBs, don't really remember how my nephew made one but if you need to know more about the manometer I will ask him to refresh my memory although it's probly on the crossfire forum somwhere anyway
I'll tell ya, after he balanced the throttle body injectors and torqued down the intake and all my 84 ran like a swiss watch

Todd, another welcome from a former 84 owner :beer
You can make a homemade manometer to balance your TBs, don't really remember how my nephew made one but if you need to know more about the manometer I will ask him to refresh my memory although it's probly on the crossfire forum somwhere anyway
I'll tell ya, after he balanced the throttle body injectors and torqued down the intake and all my 84 ran like a swiss watch

A water manometer is beyond easy to make....just a U-shaped clear tube attached to a piece of wood. I'll snap a picture of mine sometime today.

:beer here's to you Bill for the water manometer info
that will be verrry useful to crossfire owners :upthumbs

Have you done a PROPER vac leak test?

No one got the proper technique for vacuum leak detection... :confused

FIRST; block the pedal, or block the throttle linkage. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO GET A STEADY IDLE , around 1,250 rpms, or a little higher. If you don't, you can fish a propane hose, or WD40, or Krylon, or hair spray, or pee, anything, until you need a sweater in Hades, but if the motor is lopin' already from a vacuum leak, you ain't gonna' find any vacuum leak, unless it's so big that Little Jack Horner can stick his thumb in it and pull out a pineapple NOPE.

AFTER you get a steady idle, THEN, you can spray starting fluid everywhere - that's the best detector, because it's vapor pressure is very high - a LITTLE at a time, until you get the SURGE. Follow the vacuum lines to the EVAP cannister too. You might even have to follow the EVAP lines from the EVAP cannister to the gas tank too, but that vac leak will show up as a DTC 32 EGR fault, and won't normally show as loping idle, unless the EVAP cannister has been by-passed (been there, saw that uh-huh).

If you get a surge in a tight spot, and can't tell exactly where it is, light a book of matches, blow out the match heads while they're still burnin', and feed the smoke to the tight spot.

Fear not the starting fluid; you cannot put the can down fast enough and light the matches fast enough to catch the starting fluid, because the vapor pressure is so high.

Bookmark this post YUP.

Wrench Wizard OUT!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom