Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help with lt1 tune up

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
How would you guys go about tune'n up an LT1? it's in a 94 camaro z28 6 speed. The plug wires go to the front of the motor somewhere (electronic ignition moduel?????) , you know what i mean, there is no room in there to even squeeze in a screwdriver. unlike on a 90 vettes where you have full access. also looks like there is no distributor. I know nothing about these engines. Anything I can do to adjust the timing or anything? it just runs like its out of time a little bit. Otherwise it runs great, but something is just a little off somewhere.
what would you do?

thanx

Do a search in this forum for Optispark. Thats the name of the ignition system on your LT1. The replacement is very similar on a Camaro but not exactly the same.

Also the ECM controls all the timing etc on this engine.

try www.z28.com for detailed replacement procedures.

:thumb

You could send your PCM to Bryan at PCMFORLESS (PCMFORLESS.COM) to have it re-programmed. He'll tweak the timing a fuel tables, etc.

I had him do one for my bone stock 96 LT1 and the mod improvements were instantly noticable.

Other than re-programming or buying and installing a new OptiSpark that has provisions for altering the ignition timing, it's not adjustable.

Jake

If you replace the plug wires, be carefull not to pull on them TOO hard. A bad plug wire will kill a opti-spark. Plugs and wires will be installed a little easier from the under side. I did this at 60,000 miles and now again at 140,000 miles, I paid a GM dealer to replace the opti, plugs, wires and water pump all at the same time. My wifes LT1 TA runs much better now.:) And I did not have to waste a whole day to do this. The GM opti spark is a POS. Make sure you have a good vacuum line on the opti so it vents.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom