Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help with new mods

juggernaut

Corvette
1988 white coupe
Hi guys, I recently put on my 88 new roller rockers 1.5-1.6. I put a new edelbrock manifold and runners on with some porting and ported the plenum. New plugs, cap and rotor 180 stat, and adjusted the TPS to .54v. When I went to start it, it fired for a couple of seconds then died. It did this same thing over and over. Firing then dying. Then I unpugged the EST wire and it fired up. The service engine light came on, so I shut it off reconnected it and disconnected the battery for a while. Reconnected the battery and it fired right up. It wasn't running perfect and could tell a couple of valves needed slight adjusting, but I was able to take it around the block a couple of times. I had to go to work so I left it. 5 days later I get back to it. I take off the valve covers so I can adjust them while its running. I go to start it and again it fires for 1-4 seconds then dies. I can't even use the throttle to keep it running. I tried the EST wire trick again and this time it doesn't work. I cleaned the IAC real good double check the TPS, had the module and coil checked, but still cranks then fires for 1-4 seconds then dies. I tried disconnecting the MAF and a bunch of other things but no luck. Can anyone help me please. I am dying to drive it again. It has been disabled for 2 months now. AHHHHHHH!!!
Thanks, JUG

I noticed nobody has replied to this yet. I'm no mechanic, but do you have a fuel pressure gage? If so you might want to hook that up and see what the pressure is doing as it starts and then dies? That might help for further diagnosis.

This is probably a long shot but you may want to check the plug gap on the new plugs. I bought plug for an 89' I had a few years back and the guys at Autozone sold me the wrong ones, the gap was way off and because I didnt check them before I installed them they said I was stuck with them. Nice.

juggernaut said:
Hi guys, I recently put on my 88 new roller rockers 1.5-1.6. I put a new edelbrock manifold and runners on with some porting and ported the plenum. New plugs, cap and rotor 180 stat, and adjusted the TPS to .54v. When I went to start it, it fired for a couple of seconds then died. It did this same thing over and over. Firing then dying. Then I unpugged the EST wire and it fired up. The service engine light came on, so I shut it off reconnected it and disconnected the battery for a while. Reconnected the battery and it fired right up. It wasn't running perfect and could tell a couple of valves needed slight adjusting, but I was able to take it around the block a couple of times. I had to go to work so I left it. 5 days later I get back to it. I take off the valve covers so I can adjust them while its running. I go to start it and again it fires for 1-4 seconds then dies. I can't even use the throttle to keep it running. I tried the EST wire trick again and this time it doesn't work. I cleaned the IAC real good double check the TPS, had the module and coil checked, but still cranks then fires for 1-4 seconds then dies. I tried disconnecting the MAF and a bunch of other things but no luck. Can anyone help me please. I am dying to drive it again. It has been disabled for 2 months now. AHHHHHHH!!!
Thanks, JUG

Do you get any codes? You said you put an adjustable regulator in... what's the pressure set to?

Unplug the MAF and try to start the car. This will force the computer into a "limp home" mode (after some coaxing with the throttle). If you can get it running, I would check out the MAF burnoff and/or MAF power relax, located above the battery.

Try this

The tps will shut down the injectors if it is malfunctioning. You did not say but if you have not tried disconnecting the tps wire and starting the car you might try that. I got snake bit by an after market TPS that cost me a ECM before I found out the problem with my not starting was the TPS. Good Luck:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom