Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help with some car care products

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
I am going to do the complete process on my vette. I am going to clay the whole car with clay bar. Then I am going to stip the existing wax using 3M general purpose adhesive remover. I am then going to buff the car out, and finally put a few coats of wax on it. Well I have the clay bar and the 3M, however what should I use for buffing, and waxing. Normally I would just ask mike, "detailingdude" but he is no where to be found. In the past I have used mothers carnuba wax on the cars.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

Craig

If you ask for the "best" wax, you'll get as many answers as there are products!! Everyone has their own opinion and preferences. We used to use Zaino products exclusively but have just discovered Collinex Insulator Wax which we're becoming attached to very quickly!:)

You might check out Mike's site -- www.thedetailingbible.com -- for any hints.

Elaine

vetteboy86 said:
I am going to do the complete process on my vette. I am going to clay the whole car with clay bar. Then I am going to stip the existing wax using 3M general purpose adhesive remover. I am then going to buff the car out, and finally put a few coats of wax on it. Well I have the clay bar and the 3M, however what should I use for buffing, and waxing. Normally I would just ask mike, "detailingdude" but he is no where to be found. In the past I have used mothers carnuba wax on the cars.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

Craig
I would not use 3M Adhesive, Wax & Tar Remover on the whole car. It is very punchy stuff, and it tends to make the paint look dull afterwards. It is excellent on tar and adhesives when needed, but if not needed I would not use it.

You will be polishing the whole car, and that will without a doubt remove any wax or sealant on it.

Claying is a great idea if your car needs it. I'm guessing it's an '86? If you've never used clay before, I'm sure it probably needs it. You can feel for roughness after you wash it by running your hand over the paint. Clay an area and feel the difference.

Doing any detailing is all about evaluating your finish and using what is needed. Not everyone's car needs the same things. Often one person's immense satisfaction of a product and another's intense hatred of the same product come from them not evaluating the surface and picking the product that addresses their needs. Pratically any line/manufacturers product will do a good job if you use the right things. Preference usually comes from price, ease of use, even things like which smells more appealing.

That said, if you like Mother's, they have a nice clay that comes with lube, and if your paint needs a cleaning they have their Phase 1 Pre-Wax Cleaner product, or their scratch remover for isolated scratches, or their Cleaner/Wax for a one-step solution. If you do a multi step, then they have Phase 3 Pure Carnauba Wax, or Reflections, which is a sealant.

Some things that would help people give you more specific advise (well, let's say more useful advice, as people will always give you specific advice about something they did on a totally different car with totally different paint condition that was just awesome) are to know what issues do you want to address on your paint? What are you trying to accomplish? Removing swirls and scratches? Removing dull/chalky oxidation? Just bringing more gloss out of already good paint? Removing chemical etching/waterspoting/other contaminents? And how will you apply it? By hand? With a cheapy orbital? With a nice orbital? With a rotary buffer? etc :w

P.S. GS Diva, it's still Collinite... ;) :) :beer

Amazing huh?

I havent heard from him since the Cruise Fest....i sent him a cd with over 700 photos on it and gave him a dv tape to "borrow"....should have gotten that back about 2 months ago......I hope he surfaces soon so Evolution can finish the DVD for us all to watch.(Sorry 'Dre...been long enough!):eyerole
Chas:w
PS...Good luck Craig...i dont know what anything else will do to your Vette...It sure looked sweet for the show buddy.:cool
(Maybe we could take out an add on a milk carton.;LOL )
vetteboy86 said:
Normally I would just ask mike, "detailingdude" but he is no where to be found.

Craig

Aurora40 said:
P.S. GS Diva, it's still Collinite... ;) :) :beer
Why do I keep doing that??!!:confused I know very well what it's called, but I continue to type it incorrectly!! I say it the way it is, just don't type it the right way. A senior moment, maybe...over and over??!!;LOL

Elaine

vetteboy86

The 3m stuff is way to harsh for what you need. If you go to Zaino's web site you will see that they reccommend a strong solution of Dawn dish washing soap as a wax remover. It works great and won't leave residue behind or damage your paint.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom