Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help

F

fast85

I am installing a aftermarket amp and speakers in my 85. I have everything run already except I cant find anywhere to run the power cable through the firewall. I heard that I could just connect the power cable to a constant 12 volt wire , but others tell me that I have to run it straight to my battery. If i can use a wire does it matter which one? If not, any ideas on where to run it thorugh the firewall? I have the ground going to a seat bolt is that a good ground? Other than the power cable everything thing else is good to go. Thanks

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
The power for mine is run through the firewall at the clutch/brake/steering column. Under the hood it is fused and run directly to the battery.

The seat belt bolt may be a good enough ground, but bear in mind that Corvettes can be a pain when it comes to good grounds. ;)

C

c4ever

Load would be my only concern in using an alternate power source, though off hand I don't think it would be a problem finding one. Why can't you use existing radio power feed? As Ken said, Find a good ground and meter it.;)

Don't forget proper wire size for load.

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
My big Mubongo Cables

Sneak thru a hole at the top of the firewall which were drilled by the stereo install place
( before I bought the car) they are on the flat to the left of the power booster for the brakes.They are dressed down to the battery
and have a fuse mounted to the fire wall.

Mike

E

evolution

Make sure you get a capacitor if running HI Power!

I installed a stereo in my 84 and am running about 500 watts. I definately need a capacitor to keep the displays and such from flickering/dimming.

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
I run a Pro Link 1.0 Farad Cap in mine it works great! Good Idea.

I ran my power lead where Ken did, but because of my ingnorance I hit the connecting line between the Clutch Clave and the Clutch master (Naturally:eyerole) So be careful not hit that thing cause here (CND funds) its 125$.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom