Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help

F

fast85

I am installing a aftermarket amp and speakers in my 85. I have everything run already except I cant find anywhere to run the power cable through the firewall. I heard that I could just connect the power cable to a constant 12 volt wire , but others tell me that I have to run it straight to my battery. If i can use a wire does it matter which one? If not, any ideas on where to run it thorugh the firewall? I have the ground going to a seat bolt is that a good ground? Other than the power cable everything thing else is good to go. Thanks

The power for mine is run through the firewall at the clutch/brake/steering column. Under the hood it is fused and run directly to the battery.

The seat belt bolt may be a good enough ground, but bear in mind that Corvettes can be a pain when it comes to good grounds. ;)

Load would be my only concern in using an alternate power source, though off hand I don't think it would be a problem finding one. Why can't you use existing radio power feed? As Ken said, Find a good ground and meter it.;)

Don't forget proper wire size for load.

My big Mubongo Cables

Sneak thru a hole at the top of the firewall which were drilled by the stereo install place
( before I bought the car) they are on the flat to the left of the power booster for the brakes.They are dressed down to the battery
and have a fuse mounted to the fire wall.

Mike

Make sure you get a capacitor if running HI Power!

I installed a stereo in my 84 and am running about 500 watts. I definately need a capacitor to keep the displays and such from flickering/dimming.

I run a Pro Link 1.0 Farad Cap in mine it works great! Good Idea.

I ran my power lead where Ken did, but because of my ingnorance I hit the connecting line between the Clutch Clave and the Clutch master (Naturally:eyerole) So be careful not hit that thing cause here (CND funds) its 125$.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom