Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need information on new tires for my 2006 corvette?

1967 corvette

Corvette
2006 corvette
I have the orginal tires with about 24000 miles on the corvette that I bought in January. It rides rough at higher speeds like 70mph or more. Am planning to have them balanced and wanted to ask someone for advice.

Any prior experience with this problem?I have owned y older vettes up to 2001 and did not have this rough ride. The 2001 road fine.

:wIf this does not work, what type of tires would you recommend and why?
Run flats or not??

Do a quick forum search. The question of the "best" tire for the Vette is solved almost every month.

If this does not work, what type of tires would you recommend and why?
Run flats or not??

My wife's '06 has the OEM Goodyears and nearly 30K miles on them. They do not appear to be rough riding but they are getting noisier than new tires (my '08 has a new set of Michelin PS2 A/S ZPs and they are quiet and smooth).

Anyway, if you're looking for a good long lasting tire that works great in the rain, the Michelin PS2 A/S ZP (run-flat) is a good choice. It's maximum traction is less on dry pavement so you give up a little in maximum performance with them.

If you want a good long lasting tire with great dry and wet performance, look at the Goodyear F1 GS D3 EMT/ROF. These are run-flats also but they have better dry performance than the Michelin A/S and are just as good in the rain. They cost more also.

If you looking for some cheaper, check out tirerack.com and see what pops up. Then go from there.

I think when my wife decides that I can buy her new tires, she'll get GY D3's in run-flat.

Most favored on this forum are Michelin pilots .I do recommend you go to Tire Rack to review all your options and price range .Personally I'm going with Michelin all season Rf's which has just become available.

Also Welcome :)

I have done well with Firestone WideOval run flats on my '06. The Michelins weren't available when I needed to replace my tires so I went with the Firestones. No complaints here.

As a qualifier, when I had an '02 I replaced the Goodyears with the Michelin PS2 A/S ZP's and was very satisfied with them.

The Goodyear OEM tires last a longtime but even when they still have good tread, they become like ice driving. The firestone wide ovals are half the price of the Michelins. HALF. And they last longer with better traction.

THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH...

CHECK THE INSIDE EDGES OF YOUR FRONT TIRES, EVEN IF YOU "THINK" YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIRE LIFE LEFT.

This has surprised many.;)

The Goodyear OEM tires last a longtime but even when they still have good tread, they become like ice driving. The firestone wide ovals are half the price of the Michelins. HALF. And they last longer with better traction.

THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH...

CHECK THE INSIDE EDGES OF YOUR FRONT TIRES, EVEN IF YOU "THINK" YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIRE LIFE LEFT.

This has surprised many.;)

Including me!!!!! Factory settings often results in edge wear on the inside.

Including me!!!!! Factory settings often results in edge wear on the inside.

I too was surprised last summer when I noticed that the front inside edges of my stock GY EMT's were bald. I have an '06 with 26K miles on it. When I brought the car to the dealer for an alignment, the settings were bang on spec. When I asked the shop foreman about the cause of the wear, he did not have an answer.

Is this kind of wear normal or is there possibly something wrong with the front end (bad ball joint, tie-rod end...)??

Now, the tires are not driveable. The front end shakes at 70. I am about to replace the originals with a set of Hankook non-runflats (along with a compressor and plug kit in the trunk).

So, will my new tires wear in the same way? Can I change the alignment to prevent this wear or will I sacrifice handling?

Thanks,
B.

To paraphrase Einstein, If nothing is changed, you can expect the same results. The general alignment specs to correct the problem have been determined - Drop all the Camber to -0.1, 0 toe in rear, -0.1 toe in front.

Don't go to the dealer. They will give you the factory specs. Go to a shops with a pro alignment guy, explain the problem and give him the recommended fix. He should know what to do from there. Here's how one guy fixed his inside wear problem:

stock

LF camber -0.45°, caster 7.9°, toe 0.10°
RF ------- -0.45°, ----- 7.9°, --- 0.10°
LR camber -0.45°, toe 0.00°
RR ------ -0.45°, --- 0.00°

Modified

LF camber -0.1°, caster 8.2°, toe 0.01°
RF ------- -0.1°, ----- 8.2°, --- 0.01°
LR camber -0.1°, toe 0.03°
RR ------ -0.1°, --- -0.03°

Remember, every car can be different. That why it's important to go to a technician that really knows more than how to adjust to factory specs. The generic plus or minus spec can be improved upon.

To paraphrase Einstein, If nothing is changed, you can expect the same results. The general alignment specs to correct the problem have been determined - Drop all the Camber to -0.1, 0 toe in rear, -0.1 toe in front.

Don't go to the dealer. They will give you the factory specs. Go to a shops with a pro alignment guy, explain the problem and give him the recommended fix. He should know what to do from there. Here's how one guy fixed his inside wear problem:

Snip.

Yes. Einstein was a clever feller. Thanks for the useful data.

I dug out my dealer wheel alignment work order from last August and it shows a front camber of -0.8 degrees. That's probably the culprit.. The order also shows that I was charged $100, no alignment changes were made and they did nothing to address my complaint of tire wear. I think they owe me a free alignment to the modified specs.

Thanks,
B.

You would give them a second bite of the apple???????????

I drive my '08 coupe daily. I replaced my OEM tires with Firestone Firehawks one year ago and I have enjoyed them. They are RFTs yet they are around $1,100 installed. This makes them affordable for DD use and replacement every 18 months.

:thumb

I have the orginal tires with about 24000 miles on the corvette that I bought in January. It rides rough at higher speeds like 70mph or more. Am planning to have them balanced and wanted to ask someone for advice.

Any prior experience with this problem?I have owned y older vettes up to 2001 and did not have this rough ride. The 2001 road fine.

:wIf this does not work, what type of tires would you recommend and why?
Run flats or not??

I have just put Hankook Venturs K110 on my 2006 and they are great. Don't have many miles on them yet, however they are smooth and quiet. Hand Hankook on another care that my wife drove and they were GREAT. The one's I purchased are not run flats and if you purchase Goodyears again sooner or later it will ride like a TRUCK. Check out Tire Rack for reviews on this tire.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom