Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need: Insurance adjuster for my 09 coupe

SpeedE55

Corvette
2009 AO coupe, 1967 Tuxedo Black 427/435 Roadster
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum as I actually just discovered it doing some online research, but have been a Corvette Forum member for several years.

I currently own a 67 435hp roadster and a 2009 1LT coupe.

The 09 sustained heavy water damaged last month during a heavy rainstorm. The engine hydrolocked, and water came into the car above the
lower seat cushions. The electrical system went haywire, and the car shut down.

Long story shorter, my insurance company (Nationwide) wants to fix the car. They had the Chevy dealer come up with an estimate of 11K, not enough to total the car. I don't want the car back. Nationwide's adjuster has been cool, admittedly not knowing the intricacies of these cars, relying on the dealership for guidance. Aside from being a potential electrical nightmare, I don't think the car will be safe to drive, especially on the interstate. The dealer (who I think in my opinion just wants to get the repair job) wants to replace the long block (no mention of starter, alternator, or anything electrically related), the BCM (already been replaced), 2 door speakers, the radio amp, and that's about it.

I hired an attorney to write them a letter saying I was refusing the check and the estimate, but I still need a 3rd party adjuster familiar with these cars that can back my position on this, since Nationwide was getting an independent adjuster as well.

Everything I've read and researched online says I don't want this car back, that it'll be a non stop battle with electrical gremlins.

If anyone on here knows of a public adjuster (or who is one) that might be able to help my situation, PM me :beer
Thanks!

Steve

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum as I actually just discovered it doing some online research, but have been a Corvette Forum member for several years.

I currently own a 67 435hp roadster and a 2009 1LT coupe.

The 09 sustained heavy water damaged last month during a heavy rainstorm. The engine hydrolocked, and water came into the car above the
lower seat cushions. The electrical system went haywire, and the car shut down.

Long story shorter, my insurance company (Nationwide) wants to fix the car. They had the Chevy dealer come up with an estimate of 11K, not enough to total the car. I don't want the car back. Nationwide's adjuster has been cool, admittedly not knowing the intricacies of these cars, relying on the dealership for guidance. Aside from being a potential electrical nightmare, I don't think the car will be safe to drive, especially on the interstate. The dealer (who I think in my opinion just wants to get the repair job) wants to replace the long block (no mention of starter, alternator, or anything electrically related), the BCM (already been replaced), 2 door speakers, the radio amp, and that's about it.

I hired an attorney to write them a letter saying I was refusing the check and the estimate, but I still need a 3rd party adjuster familiar with these cars that can back my position on this, since Nationwide was getting an independent adjuster as well.

Everything I've read and researched online says I don't want this car back, that it'll be a non stop battle with electrical gremlins.

If anyone on here knows of a public adjuster (or who is one) that might be able to help my situation, PM me :beer
Thanks!

Steve

I'm not sure if it works this way in Florida, but in California you have the right to choose the shop that does the work. The insurance companies' don't tell you that and usually try to steer you toward 'their' shops.

I bet you're right that the dealer is lowballing them. They want to get the car apart in their shop. Then they can start 'finding things they didn't expect' and get the repair bill way up, probably end up totalling the car after they soak the insurance company for $20K+, and I bet they have a 2009 on the lot they will try to sell you.... after 4-6 months of playing games with your car.

I think it's important to realize that the adjuster has to justify his decision to his boss. If you want to total the car then you need to provide the adjuster with a solid case so he can cover himself. Right now he just has a quote that the car can be fixed for $11000. How is he going to cover himself if he gives you a check for $40K+?

I'd write a nice letter stating why the dealer quote will not fully fix the car and get a realistic quote from a different dealer or preferably a corvette shop. You need to make it easy for the adjuster to do what you want him to do (and probably what he would prefer to do too). My advise is always, always be nice (ask how his day is going before you drop you problems on him), but be persistant and make your path the easy one for him to take.

Cheers,
Scott

:werd:
I'm not sure if it works this way in Florida, but in California you have the right to choose the shop that does the work. The insurance companies' don't tell you that and usually try to steer you toward 'their' shops.

I bet you're right that the dealer is lowballing them. They want to get the car apart in their shop. Then they can start 'finding things they didn't expect' and get the repair bill way up, probably end up totalling the car after they soak the insurance company for $20K+, and I bet they have a 2009 on the lot they will try to sell you.... after 4-6 months of playing games with your car.

I think it's important to realize that the adjuster has to justify his decision to his boss. If you want to total the car then you need to provide the adjuster with a solid case so he can cover himself. Right now he just has a quote that the car can be fixed for $11000. How is he going to cover himself if he gives you a check for $40K+?

I'd write a nice letter stating why the dealer quote will not fully fix the car and get a realistic quote from a different dealer or preferably a corvette shop. You need to make it easy for the adjuster to do what you want him to do (and probably what he would prefer to do too). My advise is always, always be nice (ask how his day is going before you drop you problems on him), but be persistant and make your path the easy one for him to take.

Cheers,
Scott
Agree with everything here. Also, since it is a "flood" car, it may receive a "salvage" title. If this occurs, you may want to sue for diminished value. This car will likely have electrical gremlins forever.

Thanks for the input guys. I spoke to an adjuster yesterday that seemed pretty confident he could get things turned in my favor. We'll see what happens (fingers crossed) :thumb

A guest on Jay Leno said, her husband, left the windows open several days on their van during rain. Price of I believe $11,000. to repair it. She got the adjuster to write it off.
Several gallons water retrieved.

Tell Nationwide to figure in "diminished value" into the equation. That car will be labeled as a flood car on Car Fax and other reporting services. That means a HUGE trade in or private sale hit when you get rid of the car. Recent court cases have left the insurers responsible for diminished value as well as repair. Talk to a local Chevy used car manager to determine how much less a flood car will be worth at trade-in time and request that amount from the insurance company. If they won't pay, see a lawyer or write the state insurance department.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom