Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need more gas pedal

jw15870

Corvette
I just installed heat shield padding under my carpet. Now, my gas pedal doesn't have enough room to open up the throttle. I have about an inch of play in the throttle cable. If I shorten the cable, I should be able to bring the pedal up, right? On the carb end of the cable, I can't figure out how to remove the terminating end. I can't really get to the cable end that is under the dash. Any insight here would be appreciated.

Trying to get my profile picture on here

Here's a shot of my car

...or not

How the heck do you get your car pic to show up?

The cable is pretty much a fixed length. YOu could maybe crimp a new end on the cable under the dash. Easy way might be to bend the gas pedal lever to raise the pedal and take up some of the extra cable length at the same time.

Hello and welcome to the CAC!!!

Speaking from personal experience, it can be very difficult to get the proper pedal travel when deviating from stock (sometimes even when stock).

If the cable is too long, then the pedal hits the floor before WOT.
If the cable is too short, then either it doesn't connect at both ends or you end up tugging on the carburetor and could damage it.

What I ended up doing was placing a spacer between the pedal and the end of the cable that is under the dash. That took the slack out of the line and lifted the pedal off of the floor.

As for the spacer, you have several options.

I go for cheap and easy: I use the cap of a ballpoint pen.
It's not pretty, but it is cheap and it works.
I've also done it on 2 Mustangs.

Remove the padding under the carpet where the gas pedal is.

...then bond it to the bottom of the floorpan. It will work better between the exhaust and the floorpan than it will between the floorpan and the carpet.

...then bond it to the bottom of the floorpan. It will work better between the exhaust and the floorpan than it will between the floorpan and the carpet.

Can I do this in the area of the trans tunnel as well? I am still getting a lot of heat in that area.

Look at some of the cables from Lokar, fully adjustable.

Does your car have the stock carbureter? Or has maybe a quadrajet been replaced by a Holley?

The spacer is a great idea. I'll also check the cables at Lokar. Getting ready to change my set-up to a Holley, so will see what the carb swap brings, then will make the adjustments. Thanks, everyone, for your help. This forum is a lifesaver.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom