Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need paint help

H

hooks

The hood area of my Ruby Red vette has turned to a milky looking color compared to the rest of the car--have always waxed the car faithfully--rest of paint is very nice--have tried everything to remove this very dull surface , but can't--need advice if anyone knows what to try (short of re-painting of course) Tried polish, paint cleaners, clay bar (gets it smooth, but not shiny) & even a mild compound. I know that the hot hood area is subject to this, but have always been able to bring back a nice shine in the past. Has something gotten into the clear coat?

The hood area of my Ruby Red vette has turned to a milky looking color compared to the rest of the car--have always waxed the car faithfully--rest of paint is very nice--have tried everything to remove this very dull surface , but can't--need advice if anyone knows what to try (short of re-painting of course) Tried polish, paint cleaners, clay bar (gets it smooth, but not shiny) & even a mild compound. I know that the hot hood area is subject to this, but have always been able to bring back a nice shine in the past. Has something gotten into the clear coat?
It's been Polished Through the Clear Coat!!!!It's time for paint,The base coat just won't shine no matter what you do!!!:upthumbs

MAACO!

It's been Polished Through the Clear Coat!!!!It's time for paint,The base coat just won't shine no matter what you do!!!:upthumbs
You are probably right, but if the clear coat is going, i should be getting some paint color when rubbing--correct? Never have--also never used a buffer, only carefull hand waxing--just hoping for a better verdict

You are probably right, but if the clear coat is going, i should be getting some paint color when rubbing--correct? Never have--also never used a buffer, only carefull hand waxing--just hoping for a better verdict
You should yes,unless the clear is just starting to break up!!!I have a white car right now that the clear is Yellowing just on the hood,I think somebody repainted it and used some sort of Cheap clear!!The only thing is it has no over spray or paint lines anywhere!;shrug;shrug;shrug:upthumbs

You should yes,unless the clear is just starting to break up!!!I have a white car right now that the clear is Yellowing just on the hood,I think somebody repainted it and used some sort of Cheap clear!!The only thing is it has no over spray or paint lines anywhere!;shrug;shrug;shrug:upthumbs
Just tried mequires "clear coat paint cleaner" followed by wax & got lot of color back--not perfect however--(it worked better than compound)--than for some unknown reason i sprayed a little of WD40 on a spot-- wiped it off real good--followed with more wax & it looks almost perfect now--any ideas on this ? Don't want to use more oil (WD40) if it could be a problem when the sun gets the hood hot--just tried one little spot--thinking back i believe the problem happened back when we had a family illness & i was unable to wash the car & was taking it to the (forgive me for this) carwash ! The problem looks like water spots more than anything--bad ones!! Got any water spot solutions? I really thank you for all your input.

Just tried mequires "clear coat paint cleaner" followed by wax & got lot of color back--not perfect however--(it worked better than compound)--than for some unknown reason i sprayed a little of WD40 on a spot-- wiped it off real good--followed with more wax & it looks almost perfect now--any ideas on this ? Don't want to use more oil (WD40) if it could be a problem when the sun gets the hood hot--just tried one little spot--thinking back i believe the problem happened back when we had a family illness & i was unable to wash the car & was taking it to the (forgive me for this) carwash ! The problem looks like water spots more than anything--bad ones!! Got any water spot solutions? I really thank you for all your input.
Yeah,put the ICEing on it!!!!:D:upthumbs PS I use Meguires Clear Coat Scrub with a foam pad before waxing!!
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=823651&postcount=5

I'm not a paint and body man but, will sanding with a fine sandpaper (1500-2000 grit) maybe bring this back to life? I've heard people talk about doing this.

Another Idea

Why don't you take it to a professional detailer. Pick one that has been in business more than a couple of days. They have a bag of tricks that could save you a lot of money for a repaint.:upthumbs

I'm not a paint and body man but, will sanding with a fine sandpaper (1500-2000 grit) maybe bring this back to life? I've heard people talk about doing this.
This can help if it is a chemical type stain or etching!! But if the clear is going dead from heat over the years it will just make it worse!!! The WD-40 thing leads me to think the clear is going south,but it is hard to tell without looking at it!!!:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom