Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Photos of Tranny Cooling Lines at Radiator

lars

Corvette
64 Black Roadster; 85 Coupe; 09 G8 GT 4-door Vette
I'm working on a '79 auto trans car that has had the tranny cooling lines cut off the car. I have a new set of lines, but I need some photos of what the routing and configuration is of the lines where the hard lines end at the front of the car. Could someone post or e-mail me some photos of the tranny cooling lines from the end of the hard lines at the front of the car to the tranny cooler? Thanks!

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Lars,
This is probably little to no help but it's what I have -- 1972 TH400 cooling lines. The pre-bent stainless lines from Inline Tube are identical to stock and this shot was taken before I started the project. The line to the lower cooler fitting ends with a right angle bend aimed toward the passenger tire. The line to the upper cooler fitting ends in a right angle bend aimed up.

20100924_Fan_0312.jpg

This is the view from under the car. The AN fittings are my mod but the lines have not been bent or changed from the stock shape.
20101130_0424.jpg

The lines run under the front crossmember above the lower control arm with a clip holding the lines in place (my clip is broken but you can see the hold-down bolt).
20101130_0425.jpg

The last picture I have of the setup is where the lines run back over the lower control arm and make the run back to the transmission.
20101130_0430.jpg

I wish I had pictures of a TH350 setup -- I owe you big time for all your help.

Thanks for the photos and response. So the factory setup had rubber lines clamped to the ends of the steel tubing? This is the interface and area I'm interested in seeing - the rubber line attachment to the steel line and how the rubber line then attaches at the cooler. Can you guys get me a shot or two of that area..? I sure don't like the idea of rubber line in the tranny cooling circuit - Hard to believe the factory did that on a Vette.

Thanks for the photos and response. So the factory setup had rubber lines clamped to the ends of the steel tubing? This is the interface and area I'm interested in seeing - the rubber line attachment to the steel line and how the rubber line then attaches at the cooler. Can you guys get me a shot or two of that area..? I sure don't like the idea of rubber line in the tranny cooling circuit - Hard to believe the factory did that on a Vette.
I've replaced the rubber hoses and fittings with braided Teflon and AN adapters and hose ends so I can't take photos of the stock setup. Best I can do is the AIM page that shows the hose connections. Obviously not high pressure lines but it sure looks hinkey to me.
TransmissionLines.jpg

I added a cooler to the circuit so my return goes out to the grille area and returns (extra -6 lines just fit through the A/C hose opening).
remotetankconnection.jpg

Not thrilled with the setup but it should help:
TransmissionCooler.jpg

Little off the topic here-- Bob, is the nut missing from your right forward control arm shaft bolt?

Little off the topic here-- Bob, is the nut missing from your right forward control arm shaft bolt?
Yes, I was in the middle of installing the new upper control arm and had removed the fuel pump from the big block as part of the install. Before I put it all back together, decided to install the tower brace. Of course in this picture of the installed brace you'll probably notice my power steering pump is out of alignment and doesn't have the second return line connected. Actually, this should be one of those "What's wrong with this picture" quizzes because there are probably twenty things that need attention in this one picture alone.
Brace.jpg

Lars, the midyear automatics were designed the same way - hard lines from the transmission fittings forward, and rubber hoses from the forward ends of the lines to 90* fittings in the cooler in the RH side tank. :)

PGCoolerLines1.JPG

:thumb Thanks for providing the above photos, Bob
I'm in the process of putting new lines in and :ugh am wondering why I didn't put them in right after I dropped the motor in without accessories. Looks line another one of those "take off what you just put on to get something else on you should have put on first" situations.

Regards, Fred

ps. hope these aren't going to be as troublesome as the fuel lines were when I sneaked them in doing body mounts - without taking the body off.

:thumb Thanks for providing the above photos, Bob
I'm in the process of putting new lines in and :ugh am wondering why I didn't put them in right after I dropped the motor in without accessories. Looks line another one of those "take off what you just put on to get something else on you should have put on first" situations.

Regards, Fred

ps. hope these aren't going to be as troublesome as the fuel lines were when I sneaked them in doing body mounts - without taking the body off.

Fred,

The trans cooler lines are a breeze compared to the fuel lines. The hard part is getting them through and around the lower control arm area. Take your time and before you go bending and kinking the lines, know that they go in fine one way. Wish I could remember which one that was -- I think I tried it from above, below and sideways. My Vette is on jack stands so the chassis is only 16.5" off the floor. Good luck with the install.

Fred,

The trans cooler lines are a breeze compared to the fuel lines. The hard part is getting them through and around the lower control arm area. Take your time and before you go bending and kinking the lines, know that they go in fine one way. Wish I could remember which one that was -- I think I tried it from above, below and sideways. My Vette is on jack stands so the chassis is only 16.5" off the floor. Good luck with the install.

Bob,:thumb

Getting the trans lines in were a snap. I forgot the routing (they were taken out a couple of years ago) and was trying to fish them through the wrong way - think that had anything to do with the problem of me getting them in:chuckle. It must have taken all of 5 minutes when I did the correct routing.:cool!:

Regards, Fred

Bob,:thumb

Getting the trans lines in were a snap. I forgot the routing (they were taken out a couple of years ago) and was trying to fish them through the wrong way - think that had anything to do with the problem of me getting them in:chuckle. It must have taken all of 5 minutes when I did the correct routing.:cool!:

Regards, Fred
Fred,

I believe I started by connecting the lines to the transmission -- that doesn't work. Then I tried connecting them to the radiator -- that was worse. It occurred to me that the lines must be for a different car so I took a break. I think I ended up snaking the radiator end through the lower control arm while the transmission end was sticking out the passenger side. Voila! it was a DUH moment.

Regards,
Bob

IMG_4460.jpgIMG_4459.jpgIMG_4453.JPGIMG_4452.jpg
Fred,

I believe I started by connecting the lines to the transmission -- that doesn't work. Then I tried connecting them to the radiator -- that was worse. It occurred to me that the lines must be for a different car so I took a break. I think I ended up snaking the radiator end through the lower control arm while the transmission end was sticking out the passenger side. Voila! it was a DUH moment.

Regards,
Bob

Let me be honest here:). I hadn't actually connected the lines in my above post but just layed the coolent lines ready for attachment. In my instance, it was a simple routing lying underneath the car and putting the forward lines (to the rad) under the LCA. The other day, I went to connect the lines to the trans:ugh. I musta tried for (yup) over an hour to connect the top line to the trans. The MF just wouldn't catch no matter how I tried. What I eventially did was disconnect the trans fitting, connect the line to the fitting, and then reattach the trans fitting (with the coolent line attached) to the trans:beer.
Oh, and I had to grind a (perfectly good) 11/16" open end wrench so I had enough clearance to tighten the trans fitting nut.

Let me be honest here:). I hadn't actually connected the lines in my above post but just layed the coolent lines ready for attachment. In my instance, it was a simple routing lying underneath the car and putting the forward lines (to the rad) under the LCA. The other day, I went to connect the lines to the trans:ugh. I musta tried for (yup) over an hour to connect the top line to the trans. The MF just wouldn't catch no matter how I tried. What I eventially did was disconnect the trans fitting, connect the line to the fitting, and then reattach the trans fitting (with the coolent line attached) to the trans:beer.
Oh, and I had to grind a (perfectly good) 11/16" open end wrench so I had enough clearance to tighten the trans fitting nut.
I hear you. I vaguely recall quitting before the hour was up. Retirement allows me to take my time so I tried again the next day. Detached the lines and was able to get both started. I have a small collection of 'modified' tools. Harbor Freight is sometimes my friend and I don't mind sacrificing their tools - even if it voids the warranty. The brake line clip at the kick-up was easy to install once I ground down a cheap 1/4" drive socket. Sounds like we could start a club.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom