Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some opinions on C4's please...

• Thread starter Freak Of Nature
  • Start date
F

Freak Of Nature

Well I have my 84 now, and it was a great first Vette. Sadly I've decided to let her go. I'm really starting to love the 92 & above C4's. So what are your opinions on the 92's? Been seeing alot of nice deals in my price range. I'd like to buy an even newer one, but as the year goes up, the price goes up... And the part I really hate... So does the insurance costs (not good when 21). So anything I should look out for? Any important reason I sould go with a year older/newer? Looking for some good input before I disapoint my check book.:L

Not gonna rush into this though. Gonna keep my eye open for the perfect deal over the next month or two. Just want something I can keep, be happy with, and put money/fun into when it comes my way. Thanks!

BTW... What do you think I should expect to get for my 84? 57K miles, runs NICE, interior is great besides the minor wear in the drivers seat side.
Only things that were wrong with it while I've had it:
Antenna didn't work. *Replaced
Fog light assembly was broke. *Replaced
Emblems were "old" looking. *Replaced
Paint looks like crap from baking in the sun for 20 years. *In the process of being re-painted (all original still).
So all in all I'd say once the paint is finished, it'll be one of the nicest all stock 84's on the road?

This has been said before but I'll say it again - buy the newest Vette you can afford.

With each year, improvements are made whether you can see them or not. Less squeaks and rattles for one. Ride improvements. Changes in the fuel management and OBDII computers (some don't think this is an improvememt!). In the C4, the later LT1/LT4's have the vented OptiSpark - a plus. If you can afford a 96 LT4, go that way. The LT4 is a real hot rod. The LT1 is a pretty solid motor also and can be upgraded in the power department easy enough.

I'm keeping my 92. It's my first Vette and has significant meaning for me and it's upgraded to LT4 plus power. And I have 2003 Vette in the garage next to it.

The 94 - 96s have R 134 in the AC, a real plus. Also passenger air bags and leather seats atandard. I would go for a 94 or newer if I were you. Good luck. :beer

My 1987 is my first vette, I would like to get a newer LT1 car. They handle better ride better, but my vette holds to much sentimental value to me to get rid of it.

the general rule is newer is better... but, drive a '91 (L98) if you can, and drive a '92 (LT1) if you can. see which one you like better. I like the L98 more than the LT1 because of the low-end torque of the L98. The LT1 is a better motor, but is more of a horsepower motor, designed to run its best at higher RPM's. The L98 loves running at lower RPM, more of what you use on a day to day basis.

Once you do that and decide which one you like better, try to get the newest that you can... don't get me wrong here, if you like the L98 like I do, but super deal comes in on a 92-96 LT1 car, go for it. there is nothing really wrong with the LT1 or L98... just set your sights on what you really want and compromise from there based on price/value.

If you can afford an LT4, go for it... it is the best of both worlds... lots of torque and horsepower.

Go with the newest you can afford.Continual upgrading over the years has made for a better drive. Set your price and go for the newest in that range.

Oh just get an LT4!:L:L:L

Back in '94 I had the same dilemma.....'92 0r older?....I took the '92....Never regretted it......NOW guess what?.....I'm looking to purchase a more recent one.......My oh my decisions decisions when does it end?....hopefully never:Steer

I too am a young Corvette owner (22) and had a similar situation as yours. I began with an 86 about a year ago. Then traded for an 87. I kept that car for about 9 months. I was paying about $200 a month on the 87, but found a nice 90K mile 95 for about the same money per month. The loan is a little longer, 2 yrs to 4 yrs, but the payment only went up about $20 per month. I am not sure of your situation, however, I found it very easy to move into a late C4. I looked at a couple of 96 LT-4 Cars, however, the money for those cars was a little more than I was willing to part with. The way I figured it, I could by the 95 for about 10,500 (after some horse trading... it started a bit higher) and do some work to it and have a better running car for less money while not malesting an original LT-4. I can also echo some of the eariler remarks about the L98 cars being more of a low end torque car, however, my 95 is faster than the 87, by about .7 seconds in the 1/4 mile, and has enough manners for me to keep a set if tires on the back of the car. I did away with a brand new set of Yokahomas in about 7500 miles. ( I know....young and dumb.... but it sounded sooooo good .....) anyway, have no fear in the later C4's. They are better mannered and more reliable cars to boot.

Brett

Im probably one of the younger owners, Im 16 with my 1987, It rides and handles better than my former DeLorean, so Im happy.

My dad's friend owned the 87 and he was selling, hes a great guy and owner finnanced the whole thing, and at this price I couldn't refuse...

P.S. About the Age thing, Don't hate, appreciate ! ;)

No worries there are some youngins on the inside. Keep it on the dl.... I'm only 18... shhhhhh!

1995 RedVette said:
I too am a young Corvette owner (22) ... I can also echo some of the eariler remarks about the L98 cars being more of a low end torque car, however, my 95 is faster than the 87, by about .7 seconds in the 1/4 mile...
Brett
I am of the young(er) crowd too (not as young as you guys though)... When my wife and I went to Nashville/Bowling Green last year, it was an odd feeling because we were so young compared to 'the crowd'. I started thinking about all the shows I have been to, and I have always been very young compared to the average corvette owner.... Chevy needs to market the corvette to a younger crowd before most of their current market dies off :LOL

aint no doubt that a LT1 or LT4 car will be faster than a L98 powered 'vette.... but, during normal driving I like the L98 over the LT1 because of the quickness of the L98. When everyone talks about the LT1 being great/better than the L98, they tend to list 1/4 mile times... how often do you (or can you) run full throttle for a 1/4 mile on the street? In my experience L98 corvettes will out run LT1's all day long... up to about an 1/8th mile. after the 1/8th the LT1 has it beat (and beat hands down!) because of the extra HP it makes.

Think about going fast on the street... for me, I take it up to maybe 60. getting on the highway, maybe 85. you run through the quarter over 100, so isn't it out of context for 'normal' driving?

(it is another story if you are really in to racing the car, and get to the track regularly)

Wow. Lots of young Corvette owners here. That's good to see.

I'm not as young (damn! :D ) and I have a '91 L98. The 1991 has the late C4 body and interior but with the 250 bhp L98 motor. I agree with vettelt193, the L98 is torquier than the LT1 and delivers that torque much lower in the RPM range. The result is that the car is a bit more fun around town. Is it better? I don't think so but it's not inferior to the LT1 either. When I'm driving it I never feel like I want an LT1 nor even think about the 50 bhp difference, because the performance of the L98 is more than enough for me. 0-60 in 6 sec or less isn't a stone! Although, I know that to you whipper-snappers, half a second means the world! :D "Whipper-snapper". There's a word you new generation people need to pick up again. LOL! I'm 37 and MY generation hasn't even picked that one up either!

Like everyone said, buy the newest, lowest mileage, and best condition C4 you can afford. However, don't turn down a 1991 with the L98 because you get the looks and solidity of the newer C4's with a proven, reliable, and relatively simple motor (no optispark). Plus, it will not cost as much as a newer C4 with the 300 bhp LT1.

You can always hotrod it if you want more power. Have you read some of the posts here by our members? Some of these people have done some incredible things with their "old" Vette's.:)

What is this bull about age. When I am in the vette I am an 18 year old trapped in a 57 year old body. We boys need our toys.

Have you even talked to your insurance agent yet? I got a better deal with my 95 because of the safety improvements,brakes,airbags etc resulting in lower overall claim s. Ive been told that Ill get even better rates when I get a newer ride...So,"Whos Buying?"

Old guy...
meonthebalcony112701avatar.jpg

Old Corvette...
15_crop_250.JPG

Old hot rodders never die; they just drift away with the tire smoke. :bu

I would say it all depends on what you plan to do with the car. I love my "94", but I have spent a LOT of money on engine mods to get the car where I want it to be performance wise. If you are into modifying your car, I'd probably go with the 91, with the L98 engine, there are many more options available to this engine. The LT1/LT4 engine is very limited as far as heads, and after market upgrades, where the L98 has parts available by everyone. If you want to leave it stock, go with the newest you can afford. The LT1 is a good, strong engine, that not only performs well, but gets pretty darn good gas mileage in it's stock format. What ever you chose, you can't go wrong!:beer

I agree with what Gary said. The L98 is still a first generation small block and there are thousands of parts out there for it. It's also cheaper to modify the L98 than it would be to modify the LT motors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom