Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some opinions on C4's please...

• Thread starter Freak Of Nature
  • Start date
Ken said:
Old guy...
meonthebalcony112701avatar.jpg

Old Corvette...
15_crop_250.JPG

Old hot rodders never die; they just drift away with the tire smoke. :bu
another old guy with an older car
DSC01319.JPG

Its great there are so many of you young-uns around here to keep the hobby alive, I'm like Ken I'll go up in a puff of tire smoke;LOL

It is very nice to be welcome despite our inexperence. I know I speak for all of us when I say thanks for all of the advice and knowledge found on this site.

Brett

1995 RedVette said:
It is very nice to be welcome despite our inexperence. I know I speak for all of us when I say thanks for all of the advice and knowledge found on this site.

Brett
Brett
Experiance is the best teacher, on any project just dig in ask questions and get some good books on the subject. "just do it" applys to cars as well as anything.

Thanks, I mean lot of other groups are just a bunch of haters you know? Like the viper guys...they are just anal. I hope to get to meet some of you guys someday!

Anywho, after Im done with my 87, I'll probably go for a late c4 or early c5...

I have the old guy old car deal covered also,got a "69 OLDs 442 for striping the streets with cheep rubber,(more fun,less bucks!) Mark 3 Lincoln for (WHAT?) And a bunch of stuff after that like my Silverado to haul my fat calus azz in the winter...All my kids love the "sports" also. Gear heads and the best of the breed? Damn right and welcome abord,fasten your seat belts ladies and gents cause this is life,Live it,love it,give it.LONG LIVE VETERANS,VETTS,&THE U.S.A.!!!

im 19:cool first vette, but hafe owned a Trans am, Camaro, and Mustang before the vette.

Definitely look at the 91's. They are a great value and easy to modify for more oomph. Also if you haven't driven a later C4 see if you can find someone close to you that will let you try one. I own an 84 myself and would not buy a newer C4 in its place as the 84 has excellent go for me even thouh it is all stock except a gutted cat. converter. 84 near the top of the C4's in handling as GM softened the 85's and up for better ride due to complaints about the 84's rough ride which I can attest to as I have the Z51 suspension in mine. I personally like the ride cause it makes for extra secure feeling when ya push it into a corner fast it has mucho grip. Stock 84 Z51 was a 1g car on the skidpad. Just my .02

:beer

C4

I have a '96 LT4. This engine is only available with a manual 6-speed, so transmission preference is something you should plug into your considerations.

The LT4 is smooth at low speeds and has a lot of torque. It also can really fly in full throttle. There isn't much on the road that can outdo it. I like the smooth cruising and the capability pull as much power as I need when I want it.

But you have a good problem. Thinking about what new Vette to go to has to be exciting.

i'll say this as i've watched the market on C4's for a few years now. 50k in miles and more no matter what year L98 or LT1 is in the 12-15k range. i'm selling an A4 95 ruby red vette right now with 47k in miles for 15k best offer. of course lower milage cars will bring a few bucks more but not much at all. look around and take your time and you can find low milage C4's L98 or LT1 as low as 10k. they are out there! trust me i've bought my 87 with 30k in miles for 14.5k 2 years ago when the market was still semi good.

personally i like the L98 setup better. no opti crap to deal with. alot easier to tune. cheaper on mod parts and easier to work on with a boat load of torque! add a LT1 intake thats been converted for SBC I or a mini ram or super ram and pull higher rpm's like LT1's easily and still have alot of torque.

no matter what you buy it will be way faster than the 84 crossfire vette you have now. me personally i like the digital dash of my 87. it has the aluminum heads although i wish they were Dport 113 castings but oh well. with minimum mods and i mean minimum i'm pulling C5's on the top end by a good 1/2 car length and sometimes more and from a dig they see my tail lights every time :D

Mad-Mic you saying our 84's are slow LOL? My stock 84 with only a gutted cat for a mod ran 14.94/93 mph. I have seen a few stock early L98's close to that. I agree the Cross Fires aren't record setters but even a LT1 is not way faster than my 84. Way faster to me would be LT4 or Z06 basically high twelves. Just my .02 and I am not whining.LOL

MoeJr said:
Mad-Mic you saying our 84's are slow LOL? My stock 84 with only a gutted cat for a mod ran 14.94/93 mph. I have seen a few stock early L98's close to that. I agree the Cross Fires aren't record setters but even a LT1 is not way faster than my 84. Way faster to me would be LT4 or Z06 basically high twelves. Just my .02 and I am not whining.LOL

i have a cross fire injected 82 Z/28 with a lil ole 305 and in it's hay day with a mild cam, some porting, alot of tuning, 3500 stall and 3.42 gears on 10.5 cheater slicks went 13.64 @ 102 mph winging it to 6700 rpm. it's just hard to get them too breathe real good but man do they keep pulling! i would keep the CFI setup but it's getting hard to find parts and i want to do a larger displacement motor in it with a M6 setup. i'm leaning towards a LS1 setup but for now since i'm building a long block for the vette i will put my 60k mile motor in the Z out of the vette with the TPI setup for now until i can do what i actually want to the car, which btw is to make it into a SCCA racer ;)

Rogue said:
Wow. Lots of young Corvette owners here. That's good to see.

I'm not as young (damn! :D ) and I have a '91 L98. The 1991 has the late C4 body and interior but with the 250 bhp L98 motor. I agree with vettelt193, the L98 is torquier than the LT1 and delivers that torque much lower in the RPM range. The result is that the car is a bit more fun around town. Is it better? I don't think so but it's not inferior to the LT1 either. When I'm driving it I never feel like I want an LT1 nor even think about the 50 bhp difference, because the performance of the L98 is more than enough for me. 0-60 in 6 sec or less isn't a stone! Although, I know that to you whipper-snappers, half a second means the world! :D "Whipper-snapper". There's a word you new generation people need to pick up again. LOL! I'm 37 and MY generation hasn't even picked that one up either!

Like everyone said, buy the newest, lowest mileage, and best condition C4 you can afford. However, don't turn down a 1991 with the L98 because you get the looks and solidity of the newer C4's with a proven, reliable, and relatively simple motor (no optispark). Plus, it will not cost as much as a newer C4 with the 300 bhp LT1.

I couldnt agree more !!
Can ya tell Im partial to 91's ?

Mad-Mic that is impressive about your Z28. I would love nothing more than to have someone ask me to rebuild and do up a 82 or 84 CFI Vette. I would just like to see what I could get out of one. Given ample time I would think I could build a great street/strip performer with most of the original CFI intake and TB's. If I had another Vette I would sacrifice my 84 for the experiment but I would suffer severe Vette withdrawals and end up in the mental hosptial with the DT's and seeing gorillas.

I know what you mean. I am 50 and have owned many Corvettes through the years . Each one was very different from the others .

Ohhh man... Every person got their opinion... I'm still so undecided on it though. Been looking at dealerships on the way to different job sites, and online EVERY day. Was really suprised at some of the deals I've been finding on them though in all years. I guess only time will tell?:L

Nice to see all the young people in this thread. Didn't think so many existed. No offence to the old heads though... It's you all who lead us youngins in the proper direction of good taste in great cars.;)

I am glad to see younger guys share dreams of the only true American Sports car with heritage, IMHO. Seems the Japanese have taken that gleam into the fart-can era of make believe. LOL

When I first got it, in 1985, my '84 was verrrrrrry fast (for 6 months :D. I made it faster, time and again, but always got used to it and wanted more. Finally, I am mostly happy, but dunno how to stop these tires from spinning and actually getting the power down!

I looked a long time for ways to modify the CFI but finally gave up. There are more solutions now.

You'll likely find a better deal from a private party than any dealer, for many reasons. I prefer to look at a 'virgin' car; one that has not been all dolled up, at least beyond a good cleanin That allows me insight into how the car was driven and cared for.
Nice problem to have, though. :w

I've owned 8 vette's and everyone was different. I love the L98 that's in my 86. It is easy to work on and parts are still reasonable and the distributor is where it's suppose to be on top of the engine. For my money I wouldn't go any higher than a 91. At first I didn't like the C4's but now I think their one of the best. Good luck in your quest...By the way I'm 56 going on 18....Bob Yates

I agree I am 53 and when I drive my old 84 I again return to my teens! just a great car and I am so very appreciative that GM build this car, hey life is short and this car makes what is left of mine exciting.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom