Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need suggestion on what to do next

not4spd

Corvette
1989 black/silver coupe
So the drilled and slotted rotors came in today and brakes should be done in a couple of days. Per my newbie thread I will be giving some much needed love to Ash, the neglected Corvette I traded for.

Here's my question:
Should I replace all the shocks/struts next or replace all the front bushings?
Front bushing kit-$199.99
AC Delco front and rear struts-$119.99

So the drilled and slotted rotors came in today and brakes should be done in a couple of days. Per my newbie thread I will be giving some much needed love to Ash, the neglected Corvette I traded for.

Here's my question:

I may have missed it, how many miles on your new toy? Do you know how the person you picked it up drove, fast, hard, street, track etc.
Those would all be considerations to look at before you make the decision.
tcxd40

If your doing the shocks I'd go with Bilsteins. ;)

Mileage?
Check the bushes for cracking and splits.
Jack car and check ball joints and steering rack tie rods for slop.
If they need replacing do them first before shocks.
New shocks won't compensate for a dodgy front end.

he car has 170K on the odo. This was the previous owners daily driver. According to him he never really got on it. I believe there is some truth to that, because upon doing a fuel injectin cleaning she was smoking pretty good. Tie rods look ok, but with as many miles as this car has, it wouldn't hurt to get them replaced. All the bushings are cracked/dry rotted.

Bilesteins are nice, but the car is mainly just for cruising. Do The Bilesteins have a happy medium in performance and ride comfort on the streets?

he car has 170K on the odo. This was the previous owners daily driver. According to him he never really got on it. I believe there is some truth to that, because upon doing a fuel injectin cleaning she was smoking pretty good. Tie rods look ok, but with as many miles as this car has, it wouldn't hurt to get them replaced. All the bushings are cracked/dry rotted.

Bilesteins are nice, but the car is mainly just for cruising. Do The Bilesteins have a happy medium in performance and ride comfort on the streets?
Well that says it all, 170K on the clock. Replace every bushing that you can, along with shocks. Check the rack n pinion. I would highly recommend all poly bushings for sure, you'll never replace them again. They may offer a little harder ride but it's worth it. Bilsteins are factory offered shocks I would stay with them. Cost about $289.00 or less for a set of 4 if you shop around. I have them on my '93 auto, they're great. While your replacing items be sure to replace the spring bolts front and rear.

A good place to call is Vette Brakes and Products they are one of the site sponsors I believe. They offer great products in various kit form, the techs and customer service the encountered was great. I have their entire racing suspension on my '81. Being it sat for 17 years in a barn it needed everything. IT was cheaper to buy a kit from VB&P than it was to refurbish or rebuild the factory suspensions. No matter who you go with the kits are most likely your best bey for the money.

txcd40

Here's my question:

First...in case there's any confusion...Corvettes, none of them, have MacPherson struts in the front or the rear.

They have shock absorbers but which are not struts.

Your best bet if you're interested in a reasonable ride, is a set of the OE Bilsteins. The cheapest way to get that might be to take yours off and have Bilstein overhaul them.

As for the suggestion to use polyurethane control arm bushings, I'd avoid that if possible because 1) they increase ride harshness and noise and 2) most of them will squeak in cold/damp weather.

As for them lasting forever, as an earlier post implies, that is not correct. High quality poly may have very good durability, but they will not last forever.

A good source for the parts you need is Corvette Central.

First...in case there's any confusion...Corvettes, none of them, have MacPherson struts in the front or the rear.

They have shock absorbers but which are not struts.

Your best bet if you're interested in a reasonable ride, is a set of the OE Bilsteins. The cheapest way to get that might be to take yours off and have Bilstein overhaul them.

As for the suggestion to use polyurethane control arm bushings, I'd avoid that if possible because 1) they increase ride harshness and noise and 2) most of them will squeak in cold/damp weather.

As for them lasting forever, as an earlier post implies, that is not correct. High quality poly may have very good durability, but they will not last forever.

A good source for the parts you need is Corvette Central.

Hib,
I value your knowledge but Corvette Central, EXPENSIVE!

As far as the poly bushings, I did state harder ride. Lets be resonable if you put the polys in you won't change them for the life of the car, thats not forever but you get the point and if lubed prior to install they don't squeak. If you want a sports car to ride like a luxury car buy one..

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom