Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Need to Identify what these parts are, Brake Cylinder

Aeolus702

Corvette
1990 L98 Dark Red Metallic Coupe
1990 Coupe

Well i just had my pulley on my tension-er replaced. started to squeal a lot. now its gone :D

now, i have my service engine light on for the last week. could if be the following pictures? (light only turns on when car is hot and been driven in the heat for about 20 mins)
havnt pulled the codes yet. #1 If the light isnt on can i still get the code?

#2 On my Brake cylinder there's a sensor. here's some pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

i just noticed it had come off all the way on pic2. so i put it back on like pic3.
from what i noticed it was ALWAYS like pic3. (since i have been driving it instead of my father)
question #2: Do i need a whole new brake cylinder? what does it mean when it sticks out like that? i did have brake problems, but we changed the brake fluid and it improved greatly on brakeing power.

#3 i have no idea what this is and i am just wondering what in the world it is. it isn't protected or anything. here are pictures to help you answer my question

Passenger side, around the same place where spark plugs are (cant remember what its called, the short block?). beneath the vavle covers, same distance from the ground as spark plugs.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

it isn't well protected. so.. *shrugs shoulders*

thanks in advance!
Save The Wave :w

As suggested earlier, the part in images 1-3 is the brake pressure warning switch. Unfortunately, your old switch broke off and part of it is left inside the master cylinder.

You'll need to remove the master cylinder and attempt to extract the remainder of the switch from the cylinder. If it's not possible to do this, you'll have to replace the cylinder.

The other part, while it's a little difficult to tell because I don't have access to my early-90s service manuals right now, but my guess is that's either the ETC temperature sensor or it's the temperature switch which turns on the aux. cooling fan.

As for your check engine light, you'll need to read the codes from the ECM memory and post them here before we can help with that.

As suggested earlier, the part in images 1-3 is the brake pressure warning switch. Unfortunately, your old switch broke off and part of it is left inside the master cylinder.

You'll need to remove the master cylinder and attempt to extract the remainder of the switch from the cylinder. If it's not possible to do this, you'll have to replace the cylinder.

The other part, while it's a little difficult to tell because I don't have access to my early-90s service manuals right now, but my guess is that's either the ETC temperature sensor or it's the temperature switch which turns on the aux. cooling fan.

As for your check engine light, you'll need to read the codes from the ECM memory and post them here before we can help with that.

The switch is always driver side between #1 & #3 cyl and the opposite side of the block (catty cornered) is the sensor for the dash display that CAN render a different reading than what the ECM is getting from its very own sensor in the front of the intake. Thats the really great thing about Corvettes.....everybody gets their own temp sensor.....:chuckle

Why settle for 1 or 2 when you can have 4, 5 or even 6? :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom