Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need to Replace Battery '04 C5 Z06

rocket8189

Corvette
'04 C5 Z06, Torch Red over Black
Last couple starts, noticed the steering column lock actuator motor didn't sound as strong as before. Began searching possible problems, went immediately to C4C5's article on "Steering Column Lock" workshop.

Checked my battery per article above, Solar battery tester showed 12.04 volts and 519 CCA, battery rated at 640 CCA, car was driven yesterday, driven regularly every other day or so, some times more often. Battery is about 4 years old, replacement for original---AC/Delco 86-6YR, 640CCA. Know replacement should be AC/Delco 78-6YR Professional with 120RC. It appears AC/Delco no longer produces this model and call to local AC dealer recommended I call Chevy dealer to see about a battery. I checked a forum today that indicated dealer no longer can get this battery, additionally AC/Delco 86-6YR in no longer available.

I have not received any DIC messages, only weakness is Solar as indicated above. When I cycled through the Solar tests, its last test indicated the battery needed to be charged; makes me think its time for replacement.

What's the best I can get for this application since it appears AC/Delco 78-6YR Professional with 120RC is no longer available?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ken

I put an Odyssey 75/86 PC1230 in my 2004 Z06.

Bolted right in.

Much better pulse cranking performance. More tolerant of deep cycles.

Some batteries provide lots of cranking power. Others, lofs of deep cycle reserve power. Most ordinary batteries can do one or the other, but the Odyssey can do both. How is this possible? Flat plates made of virgin lead rather than lead alloy. Pure lead plates can be made thinner, so more fit in the battery. More plates mean more plate surface area and more power. Plus Odysseys are rectangular not six round cavaties so there is much better use of the volume of space inside the battery.

I have Odysseys in all my Vettes and most of my other cars. The one that's been in service the longest has been in my Camaro for just under eight years. I have yet to have to replace an Odyssey.

Last edited:
Last couple starts, noticed the steering column lock actuator motor didn't sound as strong as before. Began searching possible problems, went immediately to C4C5's article on "Steering Column Lock" workshop.

Checked my battery per article above, Solar battery tester showed 12.04 volts and 519 CCA, battery rated at 640 CCA, car was driven yesterday, driven regularly every other day or so, some times more often. Battery is about 4 years old, replacement for original---AC/Delco 86-6YR, 640CCA. Know replacement should be AC/Delco 78-6YR Professional with 120RC. It appears AC/Delco no longer produces this model and call to local AC dealer recommended I call Chevy dealer to see about a battery. I checked a forum today that indicated dealer no longer can get this battery, additionally AC/Delco 86-6YR in no longer available.

I have not received any DIC messages, only weakness is Solar as indicated above. When I cycled through the Solar tests, its last test indicated the battery needed to be charged; makes me think its time for replacement.

What's the best I can get for this application since it appears AC/Delco 78-6YR Professional with 120RC is no longer available?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ken

What you should be looking for is a minimum 500 CCA and a 110-120 RC. Buy the best "name brand" battery, with the minimum spec's or better listed, that has the longest FREE replacement warranty that you can find/afford/want to spend. Pro rated warranties are worthless and should not be factored into any purchase price or perceived quality of battery. I have an Excide in mine, but there are others to choose from. Good luck with it. :)

What you should be looking for is a minimum 500 CCA and a 110-120 RC. Buy the best "name brand" battery, with the minimum spec's or better listed, that has the longest FREE replacement warranty that you can find/afford/want to spend. Pro rated warranties are worthless and should not be factored into any purchase price or perceived quality of battery. I have an Excide in mine, but there are others to choose from. Good luck with it. :)

Went with Hib's recommendation after a good deal more research. Probably a little early but the Odyssey is definitely hot at start, fit perfectly and is impressive regarding appearance, materials and fit and finish. My steering column lock no longer sounds weak @ engage, disengage; shipping was quick and shipping container impressive, arrived perfectly.

I'm happy, thanks for the help everyone, you always come through and I appreciate it.

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom