Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need window help quick

D

DkBG

The nylon strap gear for Drdc4's window came in with no directions at all . Leaving now to go help repair . We have no idea what it will take . Please advise ! I'll check back on his computer . Thanks- Cliff

where did you get the strap from? I assume this is the window guide (for the dreaded C4 window problem that lets the window angle enough to hit the B pillar).. I am getting ready to fix mine too and need the info, I haven't done it before

No, this is a long nylon gear toothed strap that raises and lowers the window . He got it at Corvette Central but it came without instructions . It was cheaper than Mid-America but M-A's comes with complete instructions . We may be sorry we didn't order it from them . Cliff

Well , we broke the darn thing ! Everything was going fine until we tried to run the motor to pull the strap through . The end caught an edge and snapped like a toothpick . When we get another one next week , we won't do it the way the directions in the manual say . Oh well-Oh Hell ! Cliff

I have a copy of the MA instructions at home, and can paste them tonight when I get home. Will that help??

Hi Zora1 . It might help ! We would sure appriciate the effort either way . We got as far as slipping it on the rail . Thanks -Cliff

Here's the info from the MA instruction sheet for R&R #12412 Power Window Ribbon:

Removal
1. Lower the glass slightly
2. Disconnect Battery
3. Remove armrest
4. Remove speaker grille
5. Remove door trim panel
6. Dissconnect the wire harness connectors at the rear of the inner mounting plate
7. Mark the position of the guide bolts and remove the mounting pate to door screws
8. Remove the bolts holding the motor to the plate, the guide to the plate and the guide to the door, then remove the guide
9. Disconnect the rods at the remote lock and lock actuator
10. Push the mounting plate down and pull the top out to gain access to the remote rod clip. Remove the remote rod from the plastic guide
11. Disconnect the window regulator motor electrical connector
12. Pull gthe inner mounting plate out of the door and let it hang from the lock rod at the rear of the door
13. Remove the two weatherstrip screws at the window opening in the door
14. Mark the position of the glass stop bracket and remove the bracket
15. Loosen the anti-rattle pads and move them as necessary to allow the glass to be removed
16. Remove the regulator to glass nuts and pull the glass up through the top of the door
17. Remove the five regulator bolts and remove the regulator
18. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. If the motor need to be replaced, drill out the old rivets and pop rivet the replacement to the regulator

Replacement
1. With the regulator assembly removed from the door, drill out the rivets. With allen wrench remove the ribbon bolt
2. Pull window ribbon toward the top of track and remove
3. Cut window ribbon to length (91 teeth), apply lubricant to ribbon and track (preferably white grease) and slide ribbon onto track. You must connect connector wire to Corvette power window wiring support install bold. Now pop rivet or use small nut and bolt to attach ribbon track to track support
4. Reverse removal procedure to reinstall window regulator. With time and care your reassembly will not be difficult and you can say with pride you did the job yourself (this is a quote, I didn't make it up!)

Hope this helps. If I had a scanner that worked, I would scan the whole sheet with pictures, but alas, it won't work with windows XP.

Zora

P.S. I've never done this, but when I bought an 84' manual from a friend, this sheet was in the book. Hope I never need it! Let me know if you would like the pics, and I will find someone to scan the document this weekend.

Wow ! You went to alot of trouble to type all that out for us . Thank you very much . It isn't that bad of a job but where we got into trouble was running the ribbon onto the track with the motor . It pulled too fast to line up all the guides on the back . By takeing the whole track off we will be able to slip the ribbon into place on the motor gear . Pictures wont be necessary but thanks for the offer . Cliff

That 10th grade typing class has finally paid off! Hope it goes better the second time around!

Well we got the new part late yesterday afternoon . This time we didn't follow the directions . We drilled out the rivets that hold the rail onto the motor assy. and removed the rail . We then slid the ribbon gear onto the rail , setting it into position , teeth meshed , from the side and replaced all four rivets . Note , we had to get the rivets from the Chevy dealer . They're an oddball size . Anyway I highly reccomend doing it this way . Even putting it on by hand , as opposed to running it on with the motor , the guides catch on the end of the rail . The difference is , using the motor they instantly break . Cliff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom