Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need your help finding pic's of a car back in '69

M

Motion 1

If any of you grew up or were in the NY area back in 1969 or if you were into street racing or cars in general. I was wondering if you might have memories or names or better yet, pictures from back then. I really need your help.

I own a now repainted black with a gold strip, '69 Cpe. that I beleive may have came from Baldwin Motion and I believe it to be the first car that Joel put the slant back window in. I have a Hi Perf Car's magazine showing it on the cover and a article showing it at the NY auto show with Zora standing next to it. I have talked to Marty the editor and he remembers the car was orange not red like it shows on the cover or his magizine.

I am looking for any pics of this car from back then. I realize it is hard to remember that far back but if anyone has any info that they can contribute I would be very gratefull. This is not a NCRS worthy car but it is a very special one of a kind car and
they only made 10 of the Phase III GT's. I have the tank sticker with the 019 dealer code that shows it was sold to Baldwin when it was new. Now I have to find out if it was the actual car at the show and so far everything I see on mine or can find corresponds with the car on the cover of the magazine.

The car in the show was Monaco Orange with a black strip down the hood and rear deck and around the tail lights and on to the sides of the rear of the car (6") inches. According to my tank sticker mine was the same color when new.

My question is if it was a Turbo 400 or 4 Spd.. car? I have found enough proof of everything else but the tranny. I can't find a pic of it anywhere that shows the transmission.

I just came back from the Super car convention this Labor Day weekend at St. Louis where Joel Rosen was the guest speaker. He a great guy and is willing to try to find it if I want to pay him for the time to search his records ($1,500). Part of tis fee is a letter of authency and I will glady pay the money for the search if I can be reasonably sure that this is the same car first. it would be worth it just to have a statement from him that it was the same car.

The main problem is that he claims there was quite a few that made a copy of his car using the body parts that they(Motion) sold back then. I realize that it would have been easy to make a copy. I just don't think anyone would have gone to the trouble that long ago. It was not that expensive for someone back then to buy the parts. But by the time they installed them and took the time to copy his car it would be too much trouble. They would not have saved much money once they were installed. Motion was really very reasonable on their labor prices to install the parts, so I find it a stretch that this car is a copy when it would have been just as cheap to have him make you one to order.

I bought this car back in '73 and it had apparentely been repainted black with a Gold double stripe down the car in about the same style that Motion used. (See Pic attachment) Now that I have stripped the paint off I have found where the SS-427 Impala emblem and the ford GT emblem they used, were filled in on the back panel over the license plate.

I have owned this car all these yrs and am just now starting to restore it. I was a used vette dealer (Super Cars) in Tulsa OK back in the early '70's till '85. I also had a Vette bodyshop but got tired of dealing with the help and the poor workmanship problems they cause.

So If you might have lived in that area (Long Island NY) I am hopeful that you are familiar with Baldwin Motion prepared cars from back then? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope you can appreciate how frustrating it is to try to trace the providence of a old car and especially a Vette.

I thank you for taking your time just to read this and if you can be of any help please let me know.

Larry Clain
Tulsa OK.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom