Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need your help on Tires

pinkfloyd

Corvette
1980 Red T-Top
I've got original 225/70/15 tires on the N90 rims on my 1980. It is totally original in and out with only 15,000 miles, but I'm not real comfortable going on the road with 25 year old tires, although they look good and have good tread and few cracks.

This is a cruiser that I would like to be able to highway drive safely, never in bad weather or winter. I also want to maintain the original look for at least a while.

My question is moving to 255/60/15's. Will they fit the car without modification
since they were an option in 1980? Will there be any performance difference, other than speedo variations?

Thanks

pink,

I think you'll find most of the C3's are fitted with the 255/60/15's. The car
sits, looks and rides so much better in my opinion. I even think they were standard on my '78 Pace Car- although I'm not 100% sure.

I don't think you'll need any modifications. Go ahead and get a set, you'll love the way the new shoes look on her.

(p.s. I'm not sure what your N90 rims are. Are they the rally type?)

Sully

255s will fit 80-82s with no problems. Earlier C3s sometimes have front fender clearance problems. Won't affect the speedometer, roughly same diameter as the 225-70/15s.
The 255s were the standard tires on the 78 Pace Car.
N90 rims are the aluminum ones, earlier code was YJ8.
And I agree, the bigger tires look great, got em on all of mine.

Mike

Thanks Mk for the info...

btw- nice inventory there... I had all those at one time or another.

Sticking with my Pace Car at this time. With 2 little ones, I don't have the time and cash to do anything else.

Sully

Got it

Thanks for the info....ordered them today and will have them on next week. Will post pictures.
Pinkfloyd

PinkFloyd

Cool user Name you got there, Listening to them even as I type...
Welcome to CAC

I've always been a Dunlop fan myself. Their 255/60 GT Radials are better looking IMHO and stick better that the popular BFG's. Tradeoff is that they don't last as long though.

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom