Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Networking sites

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
I've abstained from joining all the social media and professional media sites until recently. I joined LinkedIn and a few of the groups there in hopes of making contacts that might create buzz for my novels.

I still refuse to "FaceBook" or "Tweeter".

Since my new "profession" is writing fiction novels, I joined a couple of LinkedIn groups for authors: a writers group and one called "Crime Fiction". Results are mixed at best - probably because I'm a total novice at being on LinkedIn.

I found a Hot Rod and Custom car group and joined that just to have something else to do on LinkedIn besides read stories from other authors and would be authors.

I posted a picture of my "garage" on the car group and thought I'd share it here along with these rambling thoughts. Here it is:

TunaGarage1.jpg
My 427 Vert nose and my sleeper V Wagon. The floor is "Race Deck" tiles if you're wondering.

:w

One of my kids communicates to me exclusively through Facebook so I'm hooked up there. I've avoided Tweeter, Snapchat, LinkedIn and the rest... It would be easy to spend every waking moment online like the kids but I'm still working for a living.

Mac

One of my kids communicates to me exclusively through Facebook so I'm hooked up there. I've avoided Tweeter, Snapchat, LinkedIn and the rest... It would be easy to spend every waking moment online like the kids but I'm still working for a living.

Mac

I know what you mean. My wife is on FB and gets a lot of communication from her son that way. I just bypass all those FB messages and let her read them and update me as necessary.
LinkedIn is supposed to be more professionally focused but it seems otherwise to me. Maybe I haven't found the right group to join yet.

Later,

I drug my feet as long as I could before I joined FB. But, since I did, I put a page on for my custom cabinetry business and it actually is bringing me clients. Mac has been on it and posted a few things. But I know what you mean, it can take many hours away from doing things I SHOULD be doing.

I've been invited to join LinkedIn numerous times. I, too, understood it was supposed to be more about making professional connections as well as job hunting and suchlike. It seems like everything nowadays has a social media component.

Mac

I got on Facebook a couple of years ago for my 40th high school reunion. I keep up with family and friends with it. I've been a LinkedIn member because my partners and I thought it would be a good idea to join.

I have been on Linktin for a couple of years. Hardly ever use it. I find it just this side of useless. Thinking about dumping it.
JMHO
:)

I've been on LinkedIn for a while and have gotten a few hits for jobs via that. I ignore the social media part and groups. There are enough headhunters out there that will look for you without the groups..

;)

:w
Stefan

I listen to shortwave radio. I've found Yahoo's Groups to be quite good. One group publishes schedules for English language stations. Another, Radio Modifications, has a lot of mods and how-tos for radios.

No FB or Twitter.

FaceBook:
Well, I'm on FaceBook now. Besides staying in touch with friends and family better now (!), I'm making contacts with companies that let me set up book signing events with them. Not a lot of sales yet but total strangers have now heard about me and my book. That's something.

LinkedIn:
Since I'm not looking for a job, LinkedIn doesn't appear to be doing me much good as a new author looking for buyers. The author and book groups are not the place to connect with people that actually are looking for a new author. Most are trying to sell new authors information on how to market themselves which means these people making money off people desperate to find a market for their book.

I thought writing a book was hard enough but marketing it and my self is much harder. Doesn't matter whether you get a traditional publisher (good luck there), self publish or use a hybrid publisher, marketing us pretty much up to you.

I carry books around in all my cars and sell one or two every now and then.

Btw, my book is available on-line at Amazon and Barnes&Noble in hard bound, paperback and eBook.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom