Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Brake Rotors

SANOLS1

Corvette
2004 Millenium Yellow Coupe
I recently installed a new Baer Eradi Speed+1 Rotor Package-2pc. Fr/2pc. Rr brake rotors on my 04 coupe. I just didn’t like the look of the rear wheels with those small disks and thought the larger ones filled the wheel and added a nicer look to the car with the drilled and slotted disks. The front rotors are the same size as original but the new rear disks are 2” larger than stock, hence the caliper is moved outboard 1” to accommodate.

“The result in the rear is increased performance by virtue of the augmented leverage of the larger rotor. Baer provides all the hardware necessary to move the location of the OEM calipers outward.”

My question is, “Is there a need to adjust the brake bias due to the increased capability of the rear calipers?” If so, “Is there an adjustment I can make myself or would it require a new manifold or valve? It is actually noticeable under hard braking that the rears are pending skid sooner than as with the stock rotors. Anyone?
:confused :lou

Hi SANOLS1 -

There is no brake bias adjuster on a stock C5 - you would have to install one.

I would ask Baer what they recommend - I would have thought that the increased performance of the fronts would have been in synch with the rear if it was a package deal.....

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks mqqn,
I sent the question to BAER.

Since the fronts are the same size as original and only the back rotors are larger the rears have more prformance value over the stock version with the same amount of pressure applied to the calipers.

I will post the reply from BAER when they respond.

Hi SANOLS1 -

Cool - It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say.

There is a post on the corvetteforum about a fellow who installed the new Z06 (the C6 z06) brakes on his C5 -

I wonder if that setup will show the same symptoms - but what you say makes sense - i.e. the rears would tend to lockup more easily if they were to have more power in relation to the fronts.

You are the first to have brought this up to my knowledge.

thanks for letting us know what happens -

:pat

best regards -

mqqn

Well, Baer hadn’t replied to my question so I decided to call them today. The tech I spoke to said that there have never been any issues regarding the rear wheels having the increased leverage. He went on to say that the ABS should kick in if they were on the brink of locking up.

This raised another question out of curiosity. Does the ABS system react only to the wheels that are pending a skid or does it pulsate all four? The latter seems to make more sense but I thought I would throw that question out if anyone knows for sure. ;shrug

ABS only modulates the wheel or wheels that are locking up. It doesn't pulsate all four unless all four are pending a lock up. This is also how stability control works. It uses ABS to modulate the wheel that will pull the car back in line.

LLC5 said:
ABS only modulates the wheel or wheels that are locking up. It doesn't pulsate all four unless all four are pending a lock up. This is also how stability control works. It uses ABS to modulate the wheel that will pull the car back in line.

That's very nice to know. I can rest a little easier now knowing I haven't actually lost the balance between front and rear. Thanks for the info.:beer

FWIW, I've had a Baer +1 (slotted only) set-up on mine for over a year now and no issues of any kind. Since I've mounted aftermarket 18x11 rear wheels, I've been toying with the idea of mounting a pair of front C5 calipers on the rear to take full advantage of the complete swept area of the rotor. Has anyone tried this?
BTW, when I measured the diameter of the rear rotors, I got 14 1/4", which makes them bigger than the fronts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom