Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new brakes

jjarrett

Corvette
1990 black coupe
hi! I JUST BOUGHT A 76 COUPE THAT HAS BEEN STORED FOR 4 YEARS OR MORE,AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING I TOUCH EITHER BREAKS OR FALLS APART.THE DASH IS OUT,ALL OF THE HEAT AND AIR DUCTS ARE MISSING,ETC. MY QUESTION IS THIS-I'VE REBUILT BOTH FRONT WHEELS,AND CANNOT GET THE CALIPERS TO BLEED BY PUMPING THE BRAKE PEDAL.ANY COMMENTS? THANKS----JOHN

...I'VE REBUILT BOTH FRONT WHEELS,AND CANNOT GET THE CALIPERS TO BLEED BY PUMPING THE BRAKE PEDAL.ANY COMMENTS? THANKS----JOHN

First thing to do is turn off your caps lock key. Second thing is to tell us how you've been trying to bleed the brakes. Unless you use a power bleeder, bleeding brakes takes two people.

:)

hi! I JUST BOUGHT A 76 COUPE THAT HAS BEEN STORED FOR 4 YEARS OR MORE,AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING I TOUCH EITHER BREAKS OR FALLS APART.THE DASH IS OUT,ALL OF THE HEAT AND AIR DUCTS ARE MISSING,ETC. JOHN

Sounds like that car was in very poor condition when it was put into storage. Unless it was "stored" in a rain forest it shouldn't be in that bad of a condition after 4 years.

When I replaced my entire brake system on the 68, I used 4 check valve bleeders (1 on each caliper) about $15/pr. from any corvette vendor and they worked great by myself. Well actually I had the wife pump the breaks, she did'nt complain too much.

Thanks fine69,
Could'nt remember what they were called..
I'd also recommend upgrading the brake fluid, does'nt peel the paint and resists moisture.

thank you for the response to my query about brake bleeding! i will follow the advice given and will buy the speed bleeders. thanks!!! john

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom