Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Bubble Tail lights

LordVader

Corvette
1980 Black / Oyster int,1985 Red/Grey int, 1994 gr
Hi guys,
My tail light conversion kit arrived the other day. So yesterday I installed them on the car before taking it to the shop today.
SDC10040.jpg
The Before Pic.

322012584069_0_0.jpg

The after Pic.

What do you all think? I want to take the lights back off and paint the white part of light housing that shows Black. Other Than that I really like these!:D:thumb

Mike.

Yes the kit comes with two new sockets to wire the inside ones to operate with Brakes, running lights, and turn signals. and the best part is you dont get rid of the Back up light sockets, so you can always change them back to being all original in a matter of a few minutes.

I got the Kit from Mid America, it was 75 bucks plus shipping. Not bad at all.

Mike.

Yes the kit comes with two new sockets to wire the inside ones to operate with Brakes, running lights, and turn signals. and the best part is you dont get rid of the Back up light sockets, so you can always change them back to being all original in a matter of a few minutes.

I got the Kit from Mid America, it was 75 bucks plus shipping. Not bad at all.

Mike.
So what are you doing for back up lights? I assume that they are required in IL.

I have the bubbles on the 69. When the PO had it repainted, the ding-dongs pulled the lenses and painted the reflector behind the lenses. On my list is to pull them all, and then either clean the paint off or probably hit them with some chrome rattle can paint.

I have not seen any thing where they are req. But I guess I will find out one day. But that is the nice part I can always change them back in a matter of ten to fifteen minutes. and I would assume it would be a fixit ticket if I ever get stopped. Maybe even a warning.
I have a very clean Driving record, and that does make a difference when they check you out.

Mike.

I just looked up the reqd lights for vehicles in IL, and the folling quote is from the Illinois Motor Vehicle Dept.

Lights

• Headlights–Motor vehicles must have two headlights. Headlights must be lighted from sunset to sunrise. State law also requires headlights to be used in times when rain, snow, fog or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers. They should also be used when objects 1,000 feet away cannot be seen. Bright lights must be dimmed 500 feet before meeting an oncoming vehicle or 300 feet before passing a vehicle. Motorcycles and mopeds require only one head light, which must show objects 500 feet ahead. A motorcycle headlight must be lighted whenever the vehicle is driven.
  • Taillights–All vehicles require two red lights visible for 500 feet from behind. Only one taillight is needed for mopeds and motorcycles.
  • Turn Signals–Vehicles, except motorcycles, trailers and semitrailers, must have right and left turn signals on the front and rear. Signals must be seen from 300 feet.
  • Stop Lights–Vehicles must have at least one red or amber stop light visible for 500 feet from behind in normal sunlight.
  • License Plate Light–Vehicles must have a white light making the license plate readable from 50 feet away. The light must be on whenever headlights are lighted.
  • Parking Lights–Front and rear parking lights are required for any vehicle stopped on a highway at night. Some local communities may allow unlighted night parking on streets.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/rules_of_the_road/rr_chap12.html

So Looks like Reverse lights are not Reqd in IL.

Mike.

I also just checked on Missouri Law, they req headlights, stop and tail light, and Lic plate light, But they do not list Reverse lights.

Mike.

I have the bubbles on the 69. When the PO had it repainted, the ding-dongs pulled the lenses and painted the reflector behind the lenses. On my list is to pull them all, and then either clean the paint off or probably hit them with some chrome rattle can paint.
Mine were the same way when i changed my lenses. I just repainted them with bright silver paint and it worked well.

I've got a car that makes the PD nuts- no seat belts, one tail light, no wipers and no turn signals. And there's not a thing they can do other than ask. In 1924, they didn't need all that extra stuff.

And Shark-- thanks for the tip!!

Found a picture!! Not a great picture, but for 1400 miles away, not bad.

I just recently saw that these are available and I wondered what they would look like on my frost beige 1980. I generally don't want anything but original equipment on her but seeing yours, I love the way they look. I just might do it. Thanks for posting the pics.

I just recently saw that these are available and I wondered what they would look like on my frost beige 1980. I generally don't want anything but original equipment on her but seeing yours, I love the way they look. I just might do it. Thanks for posting the pics.

I understand wanting to keep her original, But that is the beauty of these in just a matter of minutes you can go back to orig. so if you want to show Vette in Orig cond you can, and then go right back to the bubbles after the show. Its the best of both worlds!

Mike.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom