Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New C5 Owner

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
I signed the papers today to buy a 2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertible. It is like new and has 25,000 miles, and magnesium wheels. I really like the heads-up display and the roomier cockpit. Another great feature is a real trunk. I have a '96 LT4 convertible now and the so called trunk is like a big mailbox. I'll be selling the C4. I enjoyed driving it but I think I might like the C5 more.

Is there anything unique or quirky I should know about a '00 C5? Advice is welcome.

rwpeders said:
I signed the papers today to buy a 2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertible. It is like new and has 25,000 miles, and magnesium wheels. I really like the heads-up display and the roomier cockpit. Another great feature is a real trunk. I have a '96 LT4 convertible now and the so called trunk is like a big mailbox. I'll be selling the C4. I enjoyed driving it but I think I might like the C5 more.

Is there anything unique or quirky I should know about a '00 C5? Advice is welcome.

Congrads on the C5...I also have a C4(1995 Vert, 6 speed)...and a C5, 2004 Vert...first thing you need to get is a trunk partition...If you want to know more cool things you can do to your C5 email me at usacorvetter@att.net, no
need to take up space here...too many cool things to mention...
:beer

Hey RW, Congrats on the new stablemate for your '96! Sounds really nice!

The only quirk I've noticed that my Z06 might have in common with your 'vert is the trunk release. I've found that if you just push the release, you end up having to pry the deck lid open, unless you open a door on the car and close it again (the air inside the car will force the deck lid up an inch and avoid the prying effort.) Obviously, this would only work if you have your top up at the time.

Good luck, and post some pics when you get a chance!

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:

The only quirk I've noticed that my Z06 might have in common with your 'vert is the trunk release. I've found that if you just push the release, you end up having to pry the deck lid open, unless you open a door on the car and close it again (the air inside the car will force the deck lid up an inch and avoid the prying effort.) Obviously, this would only work if you have your top up at the time.

-Patrick

You don't have to do that with a vert...even with the top up...the trunk lid pops open better than your hard top because of less "cabin pressure" so the lid pops open more...:D

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]You don't have to do that with a vert...even with the top up...the trunk lid pops open better than your hard top because of less "cabin pressure" so the lid pops open more...:D[/QUOTE]

Me thinks we Z06 owners have been mildly insulted here.

Just remember, '04 Torch, I own a black Corvette. By your own description, the color of "darkness, evil and death" :W

My fellow Black Corvette owners have you in our sites... now stop that useless running in a zig-zag pattern and give us a clear shot...
;) :D

-Patrick

Drive it like ya stole it!

Enjoy - and dedicate 4x the time washing it.. every time it goes out, ,it will probably need a wash

Rain

Patrick said:
Me thinks we Z06 owners have been mildly insulted here.

Just remember, '04 Torch, I own a black Corvette. By your own description, the color of "darkness, evil and death" :W

My fellow Black Corvette owners have you in our sites... now stop that useless running in a zig-zag pattern and give us a clear shot...
;) :D

-Patrick

:eyerole .......go have another beer Patrick...;LOL

4lsvav
[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]:eyerole .......go have another beer Patrick...;LOL[/QUOTE]

btw...heres the new Vette I'm getting......:upthumbs

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]
4lsvav

btw...heres the new Vette I'm getting......:upthumbs[/QUOTE]

Are you completely serious? A third Vette? Really? If you are, congrats. I'm green with envy...

-Patrick

Patrick said:
Are you completely serious? A third Vette? Really? If you are, congrats. I'm green with envy...

-Patrick

Um...almost...like #4.........'77, '95, '04...and btw...its a Z06....:v ....and if things go right (I made them an offer:W ) and I get it...I'll give you a ride in it if you promise to call off all of your "black Corvette ~mafia~ owners";LOL ):D :beer
......thanks for the congrads........I do not think you are envious...you are way too smart for that...:)

jrose7004 said:
Congrats on the C5! You'll love the C5 over the C4!:upthumbs

PSST... JRose,
04Torch already has a C5. And a C4. And a C3. He's getting a C6. A Z06, no less. I think he's trying to own one of each generation. ;)

-Patrick

Patrick said:
PSST... JRose,
04Torch already has a C5. And a C4. And a C3. He's getting a C6. A Z06, no less. I think he's trying to own one of each generation. ;)

-Patrick

:L >>>>>>>PSST...I love it...:L anyway I think Jrose was talking to the original poster of this thread about loving the C5 over the C4............and btw...almost...I don't want a C2 or C1 though:) ...sometimes I don't think I know WHAT I want:confused :beer

"He's getting a C6. A Z06, no less".............I am TRYING to get one...don't know if they are accepting my offer though:cry

I am on my 5th Vette, an 04 Conv, and it is the best one yet! I had a 93 and 95 Conv and they were nice cars but the 04 is more of what I want a vette for, Looks, performance,and just plain fun to drive. I find myself putting on a big dumb grinn everytime I get in it. The bigest difference I notice between the C4/C5 is performance, the C5 is a lot faster (strait line acceleration)than the C4. Both had the performance axle but 50 hp makes an already fast car a lot faster! I don't like the pedel position of the C5 as well as the C4. They both go around corners like slot cars but the C5 rides much better.
You are going to love it! Congrats
Stosh

Pry the deck lid open

Patrick said:

-Patrick

I have noticed the same thing. Glad to see it's not just a problem on my car.

Stosh said:
I am on my 5th Vette, an 04 Conv, and it is the best one yet! I had a 93 and 95 Conv and they were nice cars but the 04 is more of what I want a vette for, Looks, performance,and just plain fun to drive. I find myself putting on a big dumb grinn everytime I get in it. The bigest difference I notice between the C4/C5 is performance, the C5 is a lot faster (strait line acceleration)than the C4. Both had the performance axle but 50 hp makes an already fast car a lot faster! I don't like the pedel position of the C5 as well as the C4. They both go around corners like slot cars but the C5 rides much better.
You are going to love it! Congrats
Stosh

So far, with two days C5 driving experience under my belt, everything seems smoother yet still responsive. The steering, suspension, acceleration, seating - even getting in and out. The C4 is like getting out of a bath tub. I love how easy the convertible top is to put up and down - no more rear latches. A real trunk with space! And I just love that heads up display.

But I don't know about faster. My '96 LT4 is a rocket on wheels. While the C5 is published at 345hp vs the C4 LT4 at 330, the LT4 was really about 370 average and the C5 might be closer to 340. However, I don't know much yet. I am sure someone here with much more direct experience can set me straight. It could be the C5 is smoother on acceleration too, so it's not that apparant.

rwpeders said:

Congratulations. Great (rare) color and rare option (magnesium wheels). If you don't drive it daily then be sure to keep the battery charged with a Battery Tender. Check battey for acid leaks. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the battery posts. Put a battery mat under the battery or get a gel type battery. Check the oil weekly especially after spirited rides. I also like to run 30 lbs of pressure in the runflat tires.

Enjoy,
Frank (bluecoupe)

rwpeders said:

6sp or A4? I have a 2000 Torch Red Convertible. Great car. Rides better, has more power and feels more like a sports car than the C4. And I love the C4. The C5 is a big step ahead in performance and handling and you will have a ball. Plan the mods!

cole said:
6sp or A4? I have a 2000 Torch Red Convertible. Great car. Rides better, has more power and feels more like a sports car than the C4. And I love the C4. The C5 is a big step ahead in performance and handling and you will have a ball. Plan the mods!

It's an automatic. My C4 was a 6sp but so far I don't miss the constant shifting, especially in stop and go traffic rush hour traffic. Everything about the C5 is nicer. Someone said in an earlier post that when they get in the car to drive, they just smile. I can't help smiling either.

rwpeders said:
I signed the papers today to buy a 2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertible. ...Is there anything unique or quirky I should know about a '00 C5? Advice is welcome.
Congratulations! You now own one of only 816 2000 DBGM Convertibles! As you see from the avatar, mine is a coupe.

So here's what you should be prepared for with your rare color...

Every time I enter mine in a show, I become more and more convinced that of the 816 Coupes, 731 of them now reside in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties!

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh :r :r

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom