Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Carb and Manifold Pics...

69vettester

Heres the new Edelbrock EPS and Holley Street Avenger.
Im just getting all the parts togeather for a complete top end performance upgrade, as I get the money.
Ill be doing everything at once so I wont be starting the work for a couple months, But Ill post pics of the parts as I get them..theyre almost as purty on the floor as they are installed and running:eyerole NAW ;)
anywhoo..
Heres the link...
http://www.weavermill.com/intake&carb/hookers.htm

Very cool!

You sure that is going to fit under the hood?

If not....darn, it would be a shame to put a L88 hood on there. heheheheh...

Can you imagine a L88 hood blister with a black power strip on the scoop part with some nice 1/4" off the main stripe, 1/4" black pin strips outlining the power buldge on the hood?

Kind of like the difference between looking at Pamela Anderson, and looking at Twiggy. Not that there was anything wrong with Twiggy, but......(now I am going to get myself in trouble if I keep going with this).

BTW, take it from me. With that open lid K&N filter, you can see it from behind the wheel when the sun is just right while driving down the road. It looks cool up in the dark power cave (hood scoop). You will also love the way it sounds. It is like having a hoover vacuum cleaner power sound effects coming from out of the back of the hood...

Hahaa, your crackin me up again..Im not going to do that, Chris.
I do have Twiggy, I love Twiggy. Maybe Ill get a 69 427 tripower someday..but for now Im going all out with the Small Block big four..Powerful enough , reliable , runs cool , and is beautiful.

actually, I did consider switching to the L88 hood, I even looked them up at Eklers but just cant rationalize altering the 69 sb over this manifold clearance problem. I figure Ill get plenty of HP without a highrise.

5 days ago,I had the RPM air gap sitting here , it was awsome, but alas..no way would it fit under the 69 sb hood. Initially I was going to "make" it fit. by cutting off the choke tower of the new carb and putting a 2.25" filter with 1.25 dropbase. It would have squeezed under there by almost a half inch and the K&N xtremeflow lid would be sitting about 3/4ths inch above the throttle body..what was I thinking, Obviously I was in a crazed state when came up with that scheme..I sent it back. The eps is right around the same size as the Performer, It is about half inch higher than what I have in there now..I played with the putty last week to figure what I had for clearance, and should be fine with the EPS.

I found out ,The 74 and up sb hoods had quite a bit more room, kind of like the earlier LT1 hoods. Ive heard its a bit more rational to try and fit the RPM hirise intakes under those hoods with all the dropbase yada and skinny filters ect, but it still turns out a real squeeze job and probable airflow logjamb that makes the whole thing moot anyway. My 2 centavos without actually trying it.

Cams next , then the aluminum heads the end of august. I should be tearing it down sometime late in September. Im totally stocked with the whole project..

Ooops, I just realized that is what you were doing with the eps, to gain hood clearance. I read that, but was thinking air gap, and knew it was never going to fit.

Keep an eye out though, because you might luck up on a deal. I picked up my hood for $150. I have seen them for less and slightly more used.

I don't think you have to have a big block to run the hood. Most people on the highway have no clue anyway.

I put together a 69 t-top road racer for a fellow year before last. He had a stock hood that somebody had bonded on an L88 style scoop. I had to do some final finish to get it right, but it turned out really sweet. The down side is the stock hood had to be whacked to pieces. That is a small block car, and it had a ultra high rise with a spacer on top of that! It was/is turning out 460 hp with a 4 bbl holley.

You are really going to feel a massive boost on that machine with these fresh parts.

Keep us posted (Twiggy!) :L

:L Yeah I bet you were smirking away there in FL. when you read I was going to force a RPM manifold into my engine compartment...
But I came to my senses in time about it before :bang

I'd like to get a 68-73 Rat that I could totally modify, but this car is staying stock small block , with the body Cosmetics that is.
Ill go to the ends of the earth with the performance and funtionality part though :gap

Speaking of:bang Im gonna go see if you got your oil leak fixed yet..:beer

Later..

so correct me if im wrong, but the 68-73 hoods have less clearance then the 74-81? i really want to get an air gap for my newly purchansed 78. i have one on my street/strip plymouth and it is a great manifold.

Yes that is correct, look at my hood In the pic ,and yours. GM Designers raised the hood in I think 74. Its not as raised as the LT1 hoods but quite a bit more than Mine. Id estimate around an inch more.

I dont think Im going out on a limb by saying, The performer air gap will fit under your hood without any problem , if you keep the filter height to no more than 3". A taller filter may require you to use a drop base canister is all.

The Performer RPM or RPM Air Gap are considered hirise manifolds and will not fit at all under my hood, yours could be done Ive heard, but only after doing some serious Carb mods.

This hood clearance issue with the small block comes into play for anyone who wants to get their SB motor powered up. And IMHO, Turns out to be a pretty serious compromize but only if your after some of the larger RPM, HP and TorQue numbers.

Hopes this helps..

whats the differance between the ESP and performer? im looking for power with out scarficying off idle pull. thats why i really like the RPM airgap. i have on my roadrunner, it didnt hurt my power through out the rpms.

Hi,

I am not a big fan of Holley carbs and havn`t had much luck with them over the years but the Street Avenger looks "have to have one" good so I will be interested in your comments once you have it fitted and running.

On the Air Gap issue, I did have mine under the hood with a drop base and a very thin filter but it was definitely restricting the engine at high rpm. At the time I tried to get a K&N extreme lid for the filter but they were not available over here at the time so I opted for the bug catcher and some proper fresh air. The look is an aquired taste and not everyone wants to chop the hood of a Vette. My friend was just shaking his head as I had him hold the hood on the bench while I cut it.

On a cool slightly damp night there is a noticable increase in power as it can suck as much clean fresh air as the motor can handle.

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom