Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Carpeting .. HOW TO??

Andy

Corvette
1976 Millenium Yellow / 1979 Greenwood Daytona
Well, I went ahead and purchased new carpeting for my '79 from Wally Knoch. Changing the interior color from light tan, to Black..It would just look better.

Will be doing the work myself with the help of my so and BARRY (baby)..Barry lives only 6-7 miles away ad has a garage, which I do NOT....THANKS BARRY.

I've seen Bob Chadwicks website o the carpet replacement...

After all the carpet is ripped out of the car and the seats are removed, what is the logical place to start...the back and move forward?? Speakers..etc..

Any Hidden problems I should be on the lookout for?

Also, I have 2 full days to do the job...Will 3 people helping, should be able to do the full job....

On my '79 as well, their are carpet pieces to install on the door panels (Wally was kind enough to include at no charge..THAnKS WALLY) as well as seat backs which are carpeted...How do we handle those??

Would appreciate any advise on this....

Andy

Andy
see my response in the C1/C2 forum post.
Don't worry about the timeframe of the car in my garage whether it be 2 days or 2 weeks. you can leave it for as long as it takes to get the job done properly and correctly. :beer

First thing to do is lay out the carpet for a day or two to get it to lay flat. You may need to do this in the house if it has already gotten cold where you live.

Make sure you have a sharp box cutter or other such razor knife to trim the pieces. Take your time and look twice before making any cuts.

I started in the back but only because I gutted the interior for the underlayment when I did the front.

Andy said:

I've seen Bob Chadwicks website o the carpet replacement...

Andy

could you post Bob's wesite here so I can have a look at his website?

Thanks

Bob Chadwick said:
Click on my name and slect my home page. It is under project's.

Thanks

Bob,

did you glue you carpet and if yes, what did you use?

I glued the heat treatment but not the carpet. The carpet is thick, shaped, heavy enough and has enough points with fasteners for seats, etc. that it is not going anywhere.

I used 3m Spray adhesive for the Reflectix. You can actually see a can of it in one of the pictures.

So , right in the rear on the side walls and back where you have your speakers. you didn't glue either? How come the carpet is staying there on the vertical without falling down?

I guess I'll have to get in the car and when I remove the old carpet I'll have a better idea on how it's done.

The carpet will kind of fall into place, you will see as you go along. The hardest part is cutting the holes for the seat belts & seat bolds, always kind of nerve racking cutting into something that is new. I alway use spray glue in a few areas that may want to move over time, but you wont have to use much. I also would suggest buying new carpeted rear compartment doors. When I did mine, I spent as much time working on my compartment doors as I did installing the rest of the car! And it still did not come out as good as I would have liked.

All said and done the interior looks pretty darn good. I put in new leather seat covers as well, and also sprayed all of the plastic parts with correct color dye.

Tepot said:
So , right in the rear on the side walls and back where you have your speakers. you didn't glue either? How come the carpet is staying there on the vertical without falling down?

I guess I'll have to get in the car and when I remove the old carpet I'll have a better idea on how it's done.

They are kind of formed. And then they overlap. All stays up. Oh yeah. The back has 2 or 3 plastic plugs that go through the carpet and into the fiberglass. A little spray adhesive or The Last Detail has them.

Nice page Bob...

Steve

Well, the carpet job is starting for my '79. I brought the carpet last night over to BARRY's house to let it settle on his garage floor..to relax it a bit....I should be bringing over my car tonight..Barry has been kind enough to let me store my car in his garage while we do this project. We will post pics as we move through this process. We have the Reflectix, the 3M Spray Adhesive and pretty much all we need (I think).....should be fun to change my interior from light buckskin to black (yikes).

Andy

Wegone said:
Nice page Bob...

Steve

We started the carpet job tonight. In about 20 minutes we had the seats out and proceeded to pull out all the old carpet and underlayment. Amazing how easy it came out. Must have been the original carpet from 1979..It was in worse shape than I had originally thought..Glad I'm going through with this project. Hope to have some shots soon.

Andy

Andy said:
Well, the carpet job is starting for my '79. I brought the carpet last night over to BARRY's house to let it settle on his garage floor..to relax it a bit....I should be bringing over my car tonight..Barry has been kind enough to let me store my car in his garage while we do this project. We will post pics as we move through this process. We have the Reflectix, the 3M Spray Adhesive and pretty much all we need (I think).....should be fun to change my interior from light buckskin to black (yikes).

Andy

Andy
don't forgot to pick up those torx heads for the ratchets tomorrow so we can get the seatbelt anchor bolts out or we aren't gettinng anything done at all tomorrow! :D

Absolutely on my list!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder........

Andy :)

BarryK said:
Andy
don't forgot to pick up those torx heads for the ratchets tomorrow so we can get the seatbelt anchor bolts out or we aren't gettinng anything done at all tomorrow! :D

OK ..I bought the torx heads this AM....up to 3/8 bit..or t-50...that should do the job....Tonight...sweep out the car, take off the seatbelts and start to lay the reflectix.....Making progress!

Andy

BarryK said:
Andy

Hey Andy--I am looking for a water leak in my '79 and see that you are replacing your carpeting, which I hope to do if I ever find this water leak.

Would you tell me if you have a hole on each side of the car, behing the seats, about a foot up from the floor, along the seam, right behind where the seat belt hangs? It is on the "side" of the panel, on the driver's side there is a covered set of wires on "top" of it.

I am wondering if this is where my water is coming from, my holes are open, no plugs. Just started raining again here so I will check again tomorrow, just thought I would check in with you. TIA, Mark

Cooner
Andy's car is in my garage as we replace the carpet in it so I just went out to check on that hole for you. Yep, there is an open hole just where you describe.
Where that hole is I can't imagine it getting water in , at least not very much at all. From where it's placed the most I could happening is if you are driving in the rain maybe some water getting thrown off from that rear tire getting in that hole but other than that the hole seems high enough up and on a verticle plane to avoid most other water problems.
I bet if it really concerns you you could fiberglass it over to close it off, or get a rubber plug for it, or even just a piece of duct tape over it.
Both the passenger side and the drivers side floorpan also have holes in the middle of the footwell area and the drivers side hole is open while the passenger side hole has a rubber plug in it. I can see that being more of an issue/problem than the location on this first hole you asked about. We were planning on simply putting a piece of duct tape over that open hole in the drivers side floorpan, than the reflectix foil heat barriar we are laying down will be going over it anyway under the carpet.

Hi Mark....So far, it has taken Barry and I 2.5 hours to remove the seats, the old carpeting and underlayments, clean out the car, remove the rear comparment boxes...take off the seat belts (need a torx wrench for that one...3/8 bit..or T-50), and to to lay the passenger side Reflectix. We have gotten a good bit done so far. You know the rear pull over cover? The carpeting is sewn to that, so be careful. USe an xacto knife carefully to cut.

If you have a solid amount of time, and can spend 2 full days on this project, I would guess you could get this done in a weekend if u don't hit any snags...

Let me know if u have any questions.

Andy

BarryK said:
Cooner
Andy's car is in my garage as we replace the carpet in it so I just went out to check on that hole for you. Yep, there is an open hole just where you describe.
Where that hole is I can't imagine it getting water in , at least not very much at all. From where it's placed the most I could happening is if you are driving in the rain maybe some water getting thrown off from that rear tire getting in that hole but other than that the hole seems high enough up and on a verticle plane to avoid most other water problems.
I bet if it really concerns you you could fiberglass it over to close it off, or get a rubber plug for it, or even just a piece of duct tape over it.
Both the passenger side and the drivers side floorpan also have holes in the middle of the footwell area and the drivers side hole is open while the passenger side hole has a rubber plug in it. I can see that being more of an issue/problem than the location on this first hole you asked about. We were planning on simply putting a piece of duct tape over that open hole in the drivers side floorpan, than the reflectix foil heat barriar we are laying down will be going over it anyway under the carpet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom