Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Carpeting .. HOW TO??

Andy
A very slight correction........ The carpet isn't sewn to the rear hatch pull cover itself, it was sewn to a piece of plastic that is mounted directly below the pull cover but it's very close and the top lip of the piece of carpet is just below, maybe a 1/2" or so, below where the cover rests in it's retracted position.
:beer

1979 Carpet Replacement

Andy & Barry, I'm in the process of replacing my carpet in my '79. I too got my carpet from Knoch's, but I unfortunately didn't get the door carpeting. I made a bad assumption that it would be included. Oh well, live and learn.(FYI, I found a very good copy of my build sheet under the sound deadener in the back as I was removing it to put in new.) Back to the replacement. I put a sound deadener down and have the floor and back carpets in. I ended up breaking the frame over the battery on Monday and just received my new frame and bezels from Paragon last night. I hope to get them painted this weekend and get that put back in place. The 3M Adhesive I used to glue the carpets to the console pieces isn't adhering too well, so I may have to redo that. But as was said above, just take your time and it will go back together.

We ended up taking the entire frame off the rear door compartments. Hope to spray paint that today or saturday. I'm switching the carpet color from doeskin to black. The 3m adhesive so far is sticking quite well to the reflectix (sound and heat deadener)...

since i am changing the color totally, I made sure I asked Wally for the door panel carpet pieces and the seat back carpet pieces as well, which he included at no cost..

Thanks for the heads up..As a matter of fact, I'm headed to Lowes now for more reflectix and 3m spray. We will post a link to all the pics shortly...

Andy

Tsker79 said:
Andy & Barry, I'm in the process of replacing my carpet in my '79. I too got my carpet from Knoch's, but I unfortunately didn't get the door carpeting. I made a bad assumption that it would be included. Oh well, live and learn.(FYI, I found a very good copy of my build sheet under the sound deadener in the back as I was removing it to put in new.) Back to the replacement. I put a sound deadener down and have the floor and back carpets in. I ended up breaking the frame over the battery on Monday and just received my new frame and bezels from Paragon last night. I hope to get them painted this weekend and get that put back in place. The 3M Adhesive I used to glue the carpets to the console pieces isn't adhering too well, so I may have to redo that. But as was said above, just take your time and it will go back together.

Andy

I'd guess two more cans of the same for the reflectix (probably only need one more but better to have extra just in case), and than 3M makes a Super Adheisive spray glue and that would be stronger for the carpet - three cans for the carpet may be about right

Here are some pics of the work in progress.

Andy

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page75/page75.html

BarryK said:
Andy

I'd guess two more cans of the same for the reflectix (probably only need one more but better to have extra just in case), and than 3M makes a Super Adheisive spray glue and that would be stronger for the carpet - three cans for the carpet may be about right

Hi Guys--Those pics are great, looks like you guys are doing a great job.

I hope I have found my leak, it was like that dished out area right behind the seat had a hole in it and the water was coming up through there. I covered it with some silicone, we will see as it has stopped raining here, looks like for a week or so even.

I had a slight drip from the air flow vent near my left foot, heard of spraying some "Rubberized Undercoating" on the cowl area, so I will try that. Not a major leak but as long as I am at it.

Had a couple of questions on that Reflectix, what size roll did you buy? Will it work as a sound dampener also? Are you laying the carpet directly over it? I thought there was another layer of something when I took mine out?

I just went and checked my old stuff, there is a layer attached to that aluminum foil layer and the same type of stuff attached to the carpet. I would like to make mine as quiet as possible but don't want to put so much in there that the carpet will not fit. Does the carpet you have bought have the backing?

Don't want to hijack your thread, hope these questions are okay. TIA, Mark

Oh yeah, those two holes in the foot board area, one on each side, I had those both plugged with a stock Chev part, they were letting a little water through, I am going to silicone around them and put them back in. Thanks, Mark

Cooner, I was just going to ask the same questions on the Reflectix for my 1979. What size roll, width & length. Also will this take the place of the jute padding when I replace the carpet?

maine
the reflectix is a heat barrier. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the jute padding is more of a sound dampener in which case no, the reflectix would not replace the jute padding, it would be in addition to it.

update:

Andy and his son Alex came back for more work on the carpet today.
We got both front sides done and now only have the rear carpet and compartment doors plus the door panel insert pieces

here is a link to the pictures so far:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page75/page75.html

Thanks for the updates Barry. More questions: Did you put the carpet over the Relectix or did you use some of that jute material or Dynamat or anything like that? TIA, Mark

Mark..I think I got you this one on CF.

Andy

Cooner79 said:
Thanks for the updates Barry. More questions: Did you put the carpet over the Relectix or did you use some of that jute material or Dynamat or anything like that? TIA, Mark

alots happened on this project. On my 79, it has carpeting on the door panels. I had to change the carpeting.....so I took off the door panels, be sure you have a very small allen wrench to disconnect the remote mirror!! Once the door panels were off, I painted the inner door frame black....then proceeded to use an xacto knife and cutout (very carefully) the old carpet on the door panel. The old carpet as well has a storage pocket on the door panel. I went and had this sewn and then cut, fit and glued the new carpeting to the door panels. It worked VERY well..took about 1.5 hours to cut and glue the panels correctly, but it was done right.

The only thing I need to locate now is what is known as a door belt edge. With this door belt edge i can go ahead and work on the rear. Let me tell you, the rear storage compartments are a bear!! The edge around the compartments are made of plastic. I had 2 that were broken..ordered replacements and the replacements are just a bit small..It's taking forever to fit those. While my door panels were off, we noticed the power lock mechanism wasn't functioning properly and I am now looking for an ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM for the power door lock. They connect via 5 wire connector...which i am trying to locate as well.....So, we are moving ahead...

Here's a few pics: http://69.253.166.197/page1/page75/page75.html

Andy

just a few updated pics.
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page75/page75.htm

the front carpet, front quarter panels, and transmission side covers are finished and we are working on the rear carpet. The rear carpet and the compartment doors are more trouble than everything else on this whole job put together!
also, don't have pics taken yet but Andy has also finished the new black carpet on the bottom of both doors.

I know it seems this is taking us a long time just for carpet replacement but Andy can only come over to work on it 3-4 times a week for an hour or two each time so it's not like we have entire days to accomplish much. We just try to get one small section done, CORRECT and complete, each time he is here and than do the same thing next time.
Neither of us has done this before so I think we almost spend as much time looking at and discussing each step to make sure we have a good game plan before proceeding than we have in the actual job of doing it.
BUT, for all you guys that say you did a complete carpet replacement in a single weekend, I have NO IDEA how you did it unless you had carpet that fit better than what we got. For us, the rear carpet especially is not the best fit but we are making due the best we can.

Should have the door panels back on Wednesday and hopefully those put back on this weekend. New panesl were way tooooo much so it was worth the $100.00 to get both dorrs fixed. I had about 4 spots that were torn rather badly ( but I hid it well)...

The project has been an experience..Bottom line is TAKE YOUR TIME...Have a very sharp xacto knife...have a friend to help..it makes the difference when someones opinion is a good one...if your unsure of what to do, do NOTHING..get on the forums or call someone....ask the questions. It works well.....

And tonights the first real snow in the northeast in our neck of the woods and I'm glad my car is tucked away in a garage!!

Andy

BarryK said:
just a few updated pics.
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page75/page75.htm

the front carpet, front quarter panels, and transmission side covers are finished and we are working on the rear carpet. The rear carpet and the compartment doors are more trouble than everything else on this whole job put together!
also, don't have pics taken yet but Andy has also finished the new black carpet on the bottom of both doors.

I know it seems this is taking us a long time just for carpet replacement but Andy can only come over to work on it 3-4 times a week for an hour or two each time so it's not like we have entire days to accomplish much. We just try to get one small section done, CORRECT and complete, each time he is here and than do the same thing next time.
Neither of us has done this before so I think we almost spend as much time looking at and discussing each step to make sure we have a good game plan before proceeding than we have in the actual job of doing it.
BUT, for all you guys that say you did a complete carpet replacement in a single weekend, I have NO IDEA how you did it unless you had carpet that fit better than what we got. For us, the rear carpet especially is not the best fit but we are making due the best we can.

Andy said:
have a friend to help..it makes the difference when someones opinion is a good one...Andy

Andy, that's why it's taking us so long.......... we need a friend who has good opinions on how to do this!
;LOL

darn, with the snow tonight I can't take your car out for my nightly drive......... ;LOL

OK..Got the door panels back yesterday. They look BRAND new. They did a wonderful job repairing the leather/vinyl..You would never know their were rips and tears...I can't belive the job they did....

Also..UPS delivered my new seats today from Al Knoch..Man, they look good..MUCH better than the ones I had before....

With those 2 pieces ready to go back on and the door handle pulls that I repainted yesterday, Interior should look MUCH NICER..

Andy

Andy

I know you don't like to clean your cars so I was just wondering if we are going to have to go thru this EVERY time your carpet needs vacumning and the seats need to get wiped off?
I mean, it IS a lot of work of replacing all this stuff just to save you having to clean it........ :D

Where do you buy this Relectix ? How thick is it and does it have self adhesive already on it? Thanks Chuck

Chuck
you can buy it at Lowe's.
it's approx 1/8" or a little less thickness i'd guess.
no adhesive on it but go buy a can or two of the 3M trim adhesive and use that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom