Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Corvette Owner

N

Nubby

Hello all.... I recently just purchased my first vette 93 6spd black/black 42K miles car was in mint condition. I have been reading the forum for sometime and all the temp threads have caught my attention. I know the car has been well taken care of with regular oil changes. The only things (that I know of) that have been changed from stock are the vette has been lowered and a hyper chip has been installed. My concern is (and not being a mechanic) that the car seems to run hot....

95* humid South Dakota weather with a/c on...

80-85 MPH 1 1/2 hours on the road

Oil temp 225-230*
Coolant - 200- 220*
Engine 210-215*

Stop and go traffice the engine temp climbs around the 230+*

Should I be concerned? I really enjoy my first vette and all the head turns I get!!! But want to make sure I am doing everything possible to make this car last for awhile!!

I talked to the last owner and he flushed the coolant system last year...

I have ckecked into a new tstat and they are telling me that the hyper tech kit is the way to go, it comes with the relay and all parts for $40, I am I assuming that this is an easy job?? Or am I missing something?

As I mentioned above, the previous owner of the vette said that he had a hyperchip installed, Is there any easy way to verify this and what is actually programmed into the chip?

I was directed to this forum from the general, in regards to finding a paper that will give me step bye step instructions on pulling and cleaning the radiator. Can someone lead me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance....sorry for all the questions, just thought I would ask since I do not claim to be a mechanic!

Congrats on your new Corvette . . .

If your AC is on both fans are suppose to run which will should hold down your engine temps.

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Thanks

For all the help, I will verify that the fansare coming on...also my next step will be to pull and clean the rad.

Any opionons on wetter water?

Have you reached up under the nose to make sure there isn't any debris on the front of the radiator? The front of our C4's are like vacuum cleaners.

All your numbers seem to be about 10 - 15 degrees higher than my '93 in those conditions. Verify the fans are working.

Welcome to the CAC! This is a great site for any advice ever! Congrats on your Vette.

Congrats on your New VETTE! I a new owner too and have found the folks on this forum to be very helpful. I have and 84 and my temps run close to yours.
Again, congrats and you can look forward to some great driving.
Dave

congrads on the new vette :D

only temps you have is oil temp and water temp unless 93's came with trans temps then i am a bit confused. seems like your temps are right on par. change out the thermastat to 160 stat and be done with it.

Howdy and welcome.

As for checking the type of chip you have in the computer, you can loosen and lift the computer to gain access to the inspection/chip plate on the bottom. After you remove the cover plate, take a close look at the computer chip there. If it has a HyperTech chip installed, the stock chip should be piggy-backed onto the side of the HyperTech chip.

As far as temps are concerned, they look about normal to me for an LT1 for those outside temps. Also, I use Redline Water Water and I'm happy with it.

First check for debris blocking you radiator. A couple of bottles of water wetter won't hurt anything. Assuming your fans are working properly.

Your water temp is just a bit high based on my now dearly departed C4, but...remember that this engine was designed to run hot. If the coolant truly was flushed and changed with the proper mixture, and both fans are working, I'd check for a soft radiator hose. With a car of that age, even with the low miles, it's possible that a hose may be collapsing enough to restrict flow. I'd certainly have the coolant checked...and make sure the system doesn't have an air bubble.

Nubby said:
Hello all.... I recently just purchased my first vette 93 6spd black/black 42K miles car was in mint condition. I have been reading the forum for sometime and all the temp threads have caught my attention. I know the car has been well taken care of with regular oil changes. The only things (that I know of) that have been changed from stock are the vette has been lowered and a hyper chip has been installed. My concern is (and not being a mechanic) that the car seems to run hot....

95* humid South Dakota weather with a/c on...

80-85 MPH 1 1/2 hours on the road

Oil temp 225-230*
Coolant - 200- 220*
Engine 210-215*

Stop and go traffice the engine temp climbs around the 230+*

Should I be concerned? I really enjoy my first vette and all the head turns I get!!! But want to make sure I am doing everything possible to make this car last for awhile!!

I talked to the last owner and he flushed the coolant system last year...

I have ckecked into a new tstat and they are telling me that the hyper tech kit is the way to go, it comes with the relay and all parts for $40, I am I assuming that this is an easy job?? Or am I missing something?

As I mentioned above, the previous owner of the vette said that he had a hyperchip installed, Is there any easy way to verify this and what is actually programmed into the chip?

I was directed to this forum from the general, in regards to finding a paper that will give me step bye step instructions on pulling and cleaning the radiator. Can someone lead me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance....sorry for all the questions, just thought I would ask since I do not claim to be a mechanic!

whats the diff between coolant and engine temps on your list?
One warning is the analog guage really doesn't work, use the digital readout for (more) accurate readings

The temps aren't that bad, but a bit high. There is an open access on 1993's on the passenger top of the radiator shroud. you can shine a flashlight in there to see what is in the radiator area. you can also spray that out with a hose to clean crap out.

Be careful to not get the whole motor wet, just behind the waterpump is the opti-spark, DO NOT get that wet!

Temps OK

If you read the owners manual you will find you are right where the General said you should be.:w If I didn't know better Id think you were looking at my gauges. We are currently having temps in the mid 90's with heat index in the 110's. Remember when the LT1 was put into the C4 they eliminated the oil cooler and required we use Mobil 1. The temps are not going to harm the syn. oil. If you had a car with the LT1 engine and idiot lights instead of real gauges you would not worry about this at all. Sometimes too much knowledge is more harmful than none at all.:cool

Welcome and drive the wheels off the car.:grouphug: :Steer :beer

Thanks again

For all the help...maybe I am reading into it too much..

One more dumb question....can I add the wetter water to the existing coolant or do I flush and new water with the additive?

Thanks again

For all the help... one more dumb question... should I add the wetter water to the existing coolant?

I use water wetter in my drag car and added it to the existing coolant mix. Good stuff!

^
|
what he said.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom