Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New engine for an 82

C6driver

Corvette
2005 Magnetic Red Coupe
Eventually I'm going to have top replace/rebuild my engine. What's the best most economical way to go and get a little more performance and the best engine option. rebuilding the Crossfire?
LS or LT motor? ramjet 350? could I convert my current engine after the rebuild to use a 4 barrel carburetor or a throttle body? looking for any information

82 engine rebuild

Eventually I'm going to have top replace/rebuild my engine. What's the best most economical way to go and get a little more performance and the best engine option. rebuilding the Crossfire?
LS or LT motor? ramjet 350? could I convert my current engine after the rebuild to use a 4 barrel carburetor or a throttle body? looking for any information

The best and cheapest is to order a scat kit and throw away the crossfire setup and replace it with a edelbrock carb and manifold.

Bit of a wild question, as it depends what you are looking for. So, with that said, let me try an answer:

1) Keep it original: Have it rebuild, usually pretty expensive, but once done, it should be good. The X-Fire does go nicely when it is works right.
2) Dont care about original but want to sell it later on: Take out the 82 OEM, store it and put a crate engine in it, a ZZ4 maybe? Less hassle and cost then 1)
3) Want Mo'Powa', dont care about original now or later: Keep the original engine but put a Renegade or the like on the top and have an engine builder open up the engine

There is probably a gazillion other answers, but thats my top 3.. Now, i havent done any of the above, i am just trying to simply keep mine running, as original as i can (lowest budget version) ;LOL

:w
Stefan

C6driver said:
New engine for an 82
LS or LT motor? ramjet 350? could I convert my current engine after the rebuild to use a 4 barrel carburetor or a throttle body? looking for any information​

How much do you want to spend?
How much are you willing to spend?

Those two might have very different answers! :chuckle

You can really set up the crossfire. It's totally possible. Now, there won't be many OEM parts left once you upgrade the ECM, TBs, intake, injectors, etc. :D

So, technically... when you get done replacing a lot of parts... it won't even be the same crossfire. :thumb

All the pieces you may need to keep twin TBs (depending on your cam) will run between $500 (just the Renegade intake) to well over $1,500 ($500 intake, $575 ECM, 300 bored TBs, $200 injectors, $80 fuel pump, $100 FPR, etc).

So... what are you looking to get out of a new motor? 300 or more hp?

The OEM cam was .410/.425 or something close I think. You can run a Compu-Cam in it that is .425/.440 (I think that's the lift- it's been a while) with no changes to things. Mikey is right about the most bang for the least bucks with a conservatively larger cam swap and a bump in compression.

Just understand the more lift in the cam you add- the greater the fuel needs will be... and the more important the tune will become and them ore you will need an aftermarket ECM... the more money you will spend... etc. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom