Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Old vs. New

1981BlueDragon

Corvette
1981 Blue Stingray
Hello guys and gals! I would first like to say that as a recent owner of a corvette the threads and information that I have gathered over the last year from all of you here at Corvette Action Center has been Amazing!!! I Thank you very much and really appreciate it! Unfortunately it is my turn to ask something a little more specific...

I have a 1981 Blue Corvette Stingray! She's Beautiful!! Almost all origional everything (interior, engine), with the exception of a new paint job ( Dallas Cowboys Blue) that I love. Great car, about 162,000 miles, about 500 of them mine. I recently ran into some engine trouble and after getting into it I realized the previous owner had put several "band-aids" on the engine. The journals on the crank were completely destroyed. The holes for the oil on the journals were packed full of bearing shavings. Almost all of the rod bearings were shot, and the brackets which held them were all chewed up, a few of them were even different from each other!!! The engine had almost definately been rebuild, if I can even call it that. I can only assume that the permanent damage had been left alone, some new bearings put on to sell the car, and then it became my problem.

My Question is this: I have checked all the serial numbers against the VIN and other registry tools, and the engine block, water pump, transmission all have the correct/original serial numbers. Now I have read enough about "matching numbers" to know that is a loaded question...But from what I can tell IT IS the origional engine. C3's dont have the most powerful engines, but being that it is the original engine do i retain more value in the car by REBUILDING the origional or BUYING A CRATE MOTOR and performing a few upgrades??? I have the ability/experience to do either myself. I just figured its a wash either way I go. ($500 crank, $300 Kit, $100 machine shop, $200 misc.) to rebuild same 190hp motor or $1500 for a decent crate??? How valuable is the original engine in the original car with the original interior worth?? I would like to enjoy this car as long as I can, but being practical I know at some point I will have to sell it.
Thank you in advance for the help.

1981 Vette.jpg

1st Welcome to CAC!!!!
Hope you enjoy the forums!!!!
Now...it depends on what YOU plan on doing with the vette...
Yes its worth more to a collector or an NCRS enthusiast... You can purchase a crate motor drop it in and enjoy your vette.. And put the original engine aside and save or rebuild it a later date, while enjoying your vette...out of curiosity how original is it????

Hello guys and gals! I would first like to say that as a recent owner of a corvette the threads and information that I have gathered over the last year from all of you here at Corvette Action Center has been Amazing!!! I Thank you very much and really appreciate it! Unfortunately it is my turn to ask something a little more specific...

I have a 1981 Blue Corvette Stingray! She's Beautiful!! Almost all origional everything (interior, engine), with the exception of a new paint job ( Dallas Cowboys Blue) that I love. Great car, about 162,000 miles, about 500 of them mine. I recently ran into some engine trouble and after getting into it I realized the previous owner had put several "band-aids" on the engine. The journals on the crank were completely destroyed. The holes for the oil on the journals were packed full of bearing shavings. Almost all of the rod bearings were shot, and the brackets which held them were all chewed up, a few of them were even different from each other!!! The engine had almost definately been rebuild, if I can even call it that. I can only assume that the permanent damage had been left alone, some new bearings put on to sell the car, and then it became my problem.

My Question is this: I have checked all the serial numbers against the VIN and other registry tools, and the engine block, water pump, transmission all have the correct/original serial numbers. Now I have read enough about "matching numbers" to know that is a loaded question...But from what I can tell IT IS the origional engine. C3's dont have the most powerful engines, but being that it is the original engine do i retain more value in the car by REBUILDING the origional or BUYING A CRATE MOTOR and performing a few upgrades??? I have the ability/experience to do either myself. I just figured its a wash either way I go. ($500 crank, $300 Kit, $100 machine shop, $200 misc.) to rebuild same 190hp motor or $1500 for a decent crate??? How valuable is the original engine in the original car with the original interior worth?? I would like to enjoy this car as long as I can, but being practical I know at some point I will have to sell it.
Thank you in advance for the help.

View attachment 20754

Congrats on the Vette!!

A car in great shape always sells for more.

Here's my take...
  • Original + low mileage + incredible condition will always have the highest resale. Examples would include '78 Pace Cars with less than 20k miles. Those cars always sell in the $20s it seems.
  • Desirable options, like a manual transmission, will also increase resale price.
  • Well thought out mods and/or well done restomods also have good resale.
  • A documented car- like one that belonged to some one famous- or one that was featured in a magazine or holds a special place in Corvette history- always sell for a little more.

Outside of that... what ruins resale are bad repairs, bad custom work, bad choices in accessories, and weird stuff that brings looks and morbid curiosity.

For yours, keeping in in great shape mechanically and appearance wise will hold or increase the price on resale. Since you have to go into the engine anyway now... I'm not sure it's worth it to keep the engine completely stock. It's only original once- after that it is well maintained. As long as you don't Bubba the work, it should be fine.

If it were me, I'd keep it in great shape and if there were well thought out and well executed mods- I'd go for it. If you add 100hp or so and it looks great, well... you have something most folks would like to have. The less someone needs to fool with it the more they will usually pay. :thumb

I personally would prefer to see the original engine in there still. But that's just my opinion.
if it was to have a crate motor or a modded engine that was done properly and nothing too eccentric then I would still be happy with it.
at the end of the day it is your car and you should do what you want with it.:thumb

1st Welcome to CAC!!!!
Hope you enjoy the forums!!!!
Now...it depends on what YOU plan on doing with the vette...
Yes its worth more to a collector or an NCRS enthusiast... You can purchase a crate motor drop it in and enjoy your vette.. And put the original engine aside and save or rebuild it a later date, while enjoying your vette...out of curiosity how original is it????[/QUOTE

Thanks Bill! Pretty much everything major has matching stamps to vin. (motor / transmission). There is enough wear dispite still looking good that i believe the interior is all origional also. The car was very well maintained but still needs a little work. From what I can tell other than the new paint, one of the T top windows has been replaced and the front nose is from a diffrent car. (can see the old gold paint from underneath). I'd like to put a little more power in it. Maybe a 383 rebuild depending what I got when I pull it, or a Crate if the price is right. Thanks for your intrest and imput.

Thank you to everybody for the input! I will keep you posted! I think I want to try to add some more power thru a rebuild first. I can all ready see that my cost expectations are WAY TOO LOW!! once I can get into the motor and do my due dilligence I'll know if its something I can pull off. The Crate will be my back up plan.

I would say if the original E4ME Quadrajet carb is still functioning and on the engine the the matching numbers mean something. But is its replaced by a non electrical carb then don't bother and just do with it what you want. The electrical Q-jet is the heart and soul of a original 81 ones that is gone the rest is just meanless numbers!

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom