Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Engine

NVvetgirl

Corvette
75 Stringray
Anyone know where I can get a new replacement engine that is reasonably priced for my 86 Vette? I have managed to run my current engine to death.

Not being in your locale, and knowing your mechanical aptitude, and tools which you may have on hand, I can't say where to go locally.

BUT, if you check many of the advertizements in the automobile oriented publications you will be inundated for crate engines and rebuilds from GM, Edelbrock, and a host of other you'll have many nationally advertized outlets and they start from 1500 and go up from there.

The more you do, the less they do and the lower the purchase price.

Have fun.....

If your existing engine is just tired and not broken, you could (or have a reliable person or shop) just freshen it up with new bearing, rings, timing chain, etc. Depending on mileage and wear, the cylinder walls might be tapered or out of round; it would need to be bored and new pistons installed. You would aslo need to have the heads rebuilt ie. valves ground, maybe valve guides repaired, etc. Then it could cost as much or more than a basic crate engine.
You can get a new universal 350 engine (part # 10067353) through most GM dealers for around $1300+. It might be as cheap as a total rebuild of your existing engine and would come with cylinder heads but without accessories such as power steering pump, etc. which can be changed over from your existing engine.
If you and/or friend(s) can do the engine switch, additional cost would be minimal. If you have to pay a shop to do the switch, you would have that expense also.
For a little over $2000, you can get a new high output 350 engine rated at 330 horsepower through GM (part number 12486041).
If you have deep pockets, you could get a 383 crate engine from GM or other engine builders or other high horsepower engines. In this case, get a copy of the October issue of Chevy High Performance magazine and look at the special section as well as all the regular ads throughout.
One thing to keep in mind - most crate engines offer a warranty for non-racing use. I'm sure other Forum members can give you additional ideas and information as several regulars have done engine rebuilds and replacements. Most importantly, make sure you know what you want from the new engine, do your homework, and don't rush in to anything.
Good luck on your project and please keep us posted.
Terry

Thanks for the info. That helps alot and now I know where to look. thanks again

Sadly, but true. Corvette plus woman shopper equals possible rip-off, pricewise on the labor.

Take a combination mechanic, Vette owner, male as your companion, pretend owner when shopping about for a good rebuilder. Know what questions to expect to be asked so your 'act' looks real.

A new engine. Well not long ago i spun 2 rods in my 87 so i pulled the engine and had it boared 40 over and got a refaced crank and a hotter cam.....And it makes a differance. Just what ever you do. DONT GO AND GET AN AUTOZONE REBUILD. that is crap

"real rides are built, not bought"

I would suggest getting a shop to assemble the short block and then doing the rest yourself. Go with aftermarket heads and a cam of your choice.

You can also buy a used block and have the machine shop do the short block work. There is usually someone in the neighborhood who has a engine lift. Most auto parts stores rent things like engine lifts and stands. Check it out.

WhalePirot said:
Sadly, but true. Corvette plus woman shopper equals possible rip-off, pricewise on the labor.

Take a combination mechanic, Vette owner, male as your companion, pretend owner when shopping about for a good rebuilder. Know what questions to expect to be asked so your 'act' looks real.
Hey NVvetgirl!
Being a knowledgable car woman it is quite hilarious and also disheartening to see how often a woman gets taken advantage of at shops and such. I've had so much bull sent my way its not even funny. I usually tag along with girlfriends to help filter out the truth from the bullsh--. More times than not they would get taken if I wasn't around. [big sigh]. Its a bummer. So definitely take someone along with you so you don't get taken advantage of! Good luck!

WhalePirot said:

No offense to anyone, but I wouldn't limit this comment to anyone. The CORVETTETAX is universal to all without the determination to avoid it ;)

Moonunit 451 said:
No offense to anyone, but I wouldn't limit this comment to anyone. The CORVETTETAX is universal to all without the determination to avoid it ;)

Sad but true. One way to avoid it is to work on the car yourself. I figure that if you do the work yourself; you can save at least half the money you would spend at the shop. There are some things that you couldn't do yourself like mount tires or some of that engine machining work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom