Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Exhaust?

Robertwav1

Corvette
1993 Blue
Okay....thought I'd throw this out there and see what ya all think.

Coated headers, long tube $714 pair
Hi flo Cats $735 pair
Corsa Exhaust $1100
Total cost with labor around $3200

93 LT1, Auto

Should I go with the headers or not? Looking for a different sound, maybe some mods later....not sure yet. I heard the stock headers are not adequate. I guess what I'm asking...would ya spend the extra bucks for the headers or no. I like the Corsa exhaust and definitely want the cats...maybe I should just do it all and get it over with...I'd hate to go back later and decide I need the headers. Opinions appreciated! Thanks All!

I'd say, if other mods are coming later then go ahead and do the headers too. It's much easier to do that all at once. However as I understand it, the stock manifolds are pretty efficient with a stock engine. I've done the Corsa and really like the sound and look it gives me. I'm not planning any engine mods so headers are not in my future.

Have you considered the Magnaflow exhaust? It is significantly less than the Corsa exhaust. All the exhaust systems give roughly the same HP gain, it's the sound and material that are different. From what I understand, the LT1 exhaust is a decent flowing stock system, much better than the L98 systems.

Personally, I would go with the headers. They'll contribute to the sound and performance as well.

Think I will do the headers and I will ask about the Magnaflow's also. I'm really not complaining about the way the car performs stock. A little extra HP and a more defined sound is what I'm interested in at this point. I guess I'm trying to justify the cost. Better then buying a C5 that I'm not sure who it slept with. Thanks!

The factory cats flow fairly well and unless you are doing the install by yourself, you may not find a reputable shop that will remove working cats and replace them with something else. That's a violation of federal law and a business could be fined up to $10K!

What cats are you looking at that cost $735?? That seems really high priced?

Does NJ require an emissions check? And is a visual check part of it? If so, you may not get by with exhaust mods.

There are shorty headers that will work and provide a reasonable increase in HP at higher RPM's and they leave the cats in the stock position. The 92 and 93 used a cast iron manifold but they do flow fairly well. Also with headers, you will need heated O2 sensors so the ECM will allow closed loop operation.

When you look at the rest of the exhaust, consider 2 3/4" pipe as 3" pipe may give you a lot of interior resonance.

I thought the price on the cats were high also. That's what they quoted me. I've seen the "high flow's" for $200 each that ae legal in 50 states. I haven't talked to the person that will be doing the work, I talked to one of the counter guys that quoted me. I still have to make another trip and talk to the tech that's doing the job. I certainly do not want to impair the inspection process here. I want it legal. I figured with the exhaust system starting to age, mufflers get a solid feeling like their clogged which would impede performance which I might not be able to tell. Gas mileage has deteriated somewhat. Instead of the 23 to 24 I may get 21 or a little above. Car is tuned....runs great.

You are getting ripped on the cats. I put on EM's headers and purchased Magnaflow bullit cats for $150 each up here in Canada. They are probably cheaper in the States.

Fred

I think quite a few LT1/4 owners remove the resonator to beef up the sound. Have you considered that? I do not believe that would be illegal since the resonator has nothing to do with emissions.

Resonator

Pulled mine out and welded straight pipe in place of the resonator. The sound is just about right for me. I have people comment about how sweet it sounds.:)

That was something we did in the 70's....omitted the resonator cause it cost too much to replace. That's what I'm looking for...different ways to do this. Does anyone know if the corsa system includes resonators or not?

Robertwav1 said:
That was something we did in the 70's....omitted the resonator cause it cost too much to replace. That's what I'm looking for...different ways to do this. Does anyone know if the corsa system includes resonators or not?

Lets see the Corsa system is now about $1200. No it does not have a resonator. It cost me $80.00 at a muffler shop to jerk the resonator out. I tried that to see if it would produce the sound I wanted. The way I figured it was this way. $80.00 is .06% of $1200 I thought that if it worked I had saved $1120 plus installation. If it did not work then I had thrown away a tank and a half of gas. As I said before I get complements on how it sounds. No it won't wake the neighbors up or get the attention every cop in 5 miles if I get on it. :beer

best exhaust by far is billy boat bullet exhaust
then do halltech stinger intake, then add dynaflow header's , x-pipe & high flow cats, the header, x-pipe and high flow cats is all one system from dynatech cost is 1400 to 1700 depending on where you go to get it
add a performance tune and you'll be over 400 horses without any engine mods
and the sound blows away the corsa exhaust

GROOVEYGOULDIE said:
best exhaust by far is billy boat bullet exhaust
then do halltech stinger intake, then add dynaflow header's , x-pipe & high flow cats, the header, x-pipe and high flow cats is all one system from dynatech cost is 1400 to 1700 depending on where you go to get it
add a performance tune and you'll be over 400 horses without any engine mods
and the sound blows away the corsa exhaust

Okay....that's something I haven't heard of before. I will check that out also...got it written down...thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom