Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Gears?

A

all4c4lt4

I've been told that 96 LT4's (GM3, 3.45) already have the Dana 44 rear-end. Do I need to change the pumpkin out if I move up to 4.10's? Would it be cheaper? For those of you that have this setup, about how much should I be looking at in cost?

Yes, the 6-speed cars have the Dana 44 rear end (so do the performance axle autos) You don't have to change the housing to change gears... The gears on a Dana 44 are actually 4.09's(at least the ones I have seen)... It should be much cheaper just changing the gears ... I believe the whole carrier is around $1000 (or more?) The ring and pinion sets from TPIS are $485... The installation isn't that easy either... to get it set up correct, for someone who knows gears, I would expect a $500 bill... It isn't too smart to cheap out on the set up, a friend of mine cracked a tooth on his gears because he cheaped out on the installation... basically he was out the 500 for the gears, the labor, plus the labor to have the old gears re-installed... By the way, the part number at TPIS is 800-355, you can check them out at www.tpis.com

Not to do an undercut on someone's sales, but gotta add my .02
4.10's are available from 'Al Kindler' USAZR1@aol.com and he has supplied most of the conversions done on the ZR-1's. I know that
Hutch and a number of the Grandsport crowd in Fla have gone this route as well and a quite pleased.

Have a look at http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/410gears.htm

Terry
GS60

that is good to know... and I am certainly not trying anyone to go to a certain vendor... The cheapest price usually wins for me:)

4:10 Viper Gears?

I agree with TerryGS. The 4:10's are preferable to the 4:09's because they come with the correct size shaft on the pinion gear. If you go with the 4:09's you will have to tack weld a sleeve on the pinion shaft to make it fit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom