Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New guy needs help

Z

ZeroSpin

Hi all Im new to this site and new to corvettes. I recently got a 1984 Bright Red Corvette Coupe with 11,600 miles on it. :) I did a little research on vettes and was dissapointed to see the 84 only had 205 hp. I would love to drop in a new engine but don't know a whole lot about vettes. I would also like to turn it into a standard if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

are you sure?

There are a few mods you can do to a X-fire, and 300hp is possible. But are you sure?

You can change the X-fire too a carb version or a injection one (I would choice the last one), but if you think you need power, you better buy a newer C4.

You could always look into the possibility of a crate motor. I believe the 350 crate motors run in the $3,000 neighborhood. It's actually not a bad price for the product that you get.

I wouldn't doubt that you could probably pluck an L98 or an LT engine in there. I'm not saying that I could do it, but I'm sure someone in this forum can.

Well what kind of mods can you do to the cross-fire, and would putting in a standard be out of the picture?

Looky here

First of all...welcome to the CAC. You and your baby will love it here.

Next, If'n I was youse, I wouldn't waste that good, low mileage motor by plucking it out and putting in anything else. It is a good motor, and if you look here you might just have the answer to some of your power problems(this is my next mod). Like Johnny said, you can get 300hp or more with this mod and maybe some head work. Get a good free breathing exhaust system and it will surprise you.

I'm not sure if you can put in a manual transmission in there. I mean it might be physically possible, but I've never seen one and truth be told you probably don't need it. I mean, if you really want a stick, go out and find a cheap 85-90 manual equipped vette, but it sounds like you found a real gem with that 84 with such low mileage. Good luck to ya and let us know what you decide.
--Drew:w

How much hp will you get out of the x-ram? What other mods do you recommend other than the x-ram and exhaust? Do they make **** kits for an 84 x-fire? Also, where are some places I can buy mods for my vette at?

Spin,

There are a lot of places where you can buy mods for your Vette'. I think the biggest place to look is online, I've bought some of my parts off of eBay and haven't had a bad experience yet. Of course, there is the traditional Ecklers, which has EVERYTHING! They can be found:

www.ecklers.com

They also list the year that the part will fit so you won't be confused.

K-mart sucks

Ecklers doesn't have much in the way of performance mods for the 84. That x-ram site is the only place I know of to buy the x-ram, but cross ram and some other types of x-rams are available, but you have to look for them. Keep in mind that chevy only made the crossfire for 2 years of corvette (82 and 84) and only a few years of camaro/firechicken. This engine, with the proper mods can yield over 350 hp, but like all good things, it ain't easy. Twinnie has WAY more than 350 hp in his crossfire, but look at that thing...it could slay a dragon! Somebody here can clue you in on the crossfire website (or do a search) and THOSE guys have a real passion for crossfire horsepower. Don't give up. I'm a veg, Danny (as chevy chase says), You--do.
--Drew:w

Spin,

The thing you really have to keep in mind is that increasing your HP takes time, money and patience. Short of turbo/super charging your vehicle, HP will come in small increments mostly. Some of those manufacturer claims of 15-20 RWHP are most BS in my opinion.

But like Drewser said, a higher performance exhaust is a good start. It's relatively small in price and not complicated at all; plus, you'll definitely like the new sound that you'll get. The air intake would also be a somewhat easy mod.

I'm not really familiar with 84's since mines an 88', but I'm assuming that they're quite similar besides for the engine.

How about a free flow air filter? Another simple mod with nice bang for the buck.

In addition to the mods mentioned above you can install a set of underdrive pulleys, 1.6 to 1 roller rocker arms, performance prom chip, and improve on the ignition system ref: cap, rotor, coil, ingnition modual, plug wires etc. As mentioned a lot of small improvements add up. Good luck. 84 Crossfire and 91 ZR-1

Would I be able to drop a fast burn 385 into my vette? And if I did what else whould have to be done to it? I probably wouldn't do this, just trying to figure out my options.

Is it possible to pull the entire mainifold off and to convert to a Miniram? Is the only thing in the way the ECM? Just curious because even the TPI guys do this mod quite offen and I was wondering if the CF guys can to? That would add alot of power and probably some fuel mileage.

If the car only has 12,000 miles on it and is in pristine condition just sell it and buy a different model year maybe a 1992 or newer. Dont screw up a beautiful original 1984. Someone will be very happy to pay for and have a pristine 84 with low miles. Sell it and move on. Dont screw up an original car.

If that link doesn't work:

https://www.crossfire.homeip.net (secure connection)

Don't go to carb, it's the easy way out. Also TPI won't give you much more (aftermarket manifolds NOT included here) but basically the cam, heads & exhaust on the CFI are very poor too.

You can swap the manifold for (both non emissions legal) X-ram or Offy crossram. X-ram is bolt on, Offy is not and needs a custom plate & wiper motor mods (84 model only). It IS the most potent solution. On the above link there are guys that can bore & sleeve your TB's to well over 2". Include the basic changes needed for every SBC and you can have one potent CFI.

Marck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom