Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new hood release cable

K

kurweb

hi -

I managed to actually pop my hood after the cable snapped. Now, I have the new part, but have no idea how to secure the top of the cable to the latch. (It's simple a thin cable going thru a hole). Any ideas out there on how to anchor it?

thanks!!

Kurt
'81 vette

Kurt,

I can't picture what it looks like. My guess would be some kind of a butt splice or end splice. I'll look in my Assembly Manual tonight and get back with a better answer, unless, someone else chimes than can help.

Glad to hear you got the hood open ;)

Bud

Kurt,

I'll attach two scanned drawings from my Assembly Manual, here is the first one. I hope these help, I think they are about the best views, there are a couple more, but these show the cross cable connections.

Bud

AND here is number 2 ;)

Bud

Kurt,

Was it the hood release handle cable? This is secured at the engine bay side connection with a cable bolt-swedge through the latch hole ear. (the swedge looks like a threaded spacer with a cross hole and a screw through the top. This will jam the cable against side of the hole on the spacer. )

If it is the cross cable, then they are secured with a pin, washer, and cotter key through the pin.

thanks guys - this was the case - I just ordered the cable bolt swedge (it had fallen off). I ordered a new cross-cable too (because I don't want to go thru this again for years!).

regards,

Kurt

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom